“Could not ask for better”
Review of Villa Korall

Villa Korall
Ranked #142 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Brisbane, Australia
“Could not ask for better”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed 3 nights and could not agree more with previous reviews. Our room was large with access to a balcony. The bathroom was huge and modern with a screened shower and plenty of hot water. Szaboics was fantastic when we encountered some problems trying to book an inter-city coach on-line using their free wifi. He took over and organised everything for us. There was a great breakfast every morning including eggs cooked anyway you want. It is certainly not an inner city location but is only a 15 -20 minute bus ride (depending on traffic) with buses going every 15 minutes to Central Metro Station. Szaboics suggested a local pizzeria for dinner but we preferred to go into the city for our meals.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Warrior11_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Wiltshire
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Fantastic little B&B, quiet little road, about 20 minute bus ride from Budapest. Glorious views to the hills and over the beautiful houses. Szilvia made us very welcome and cooked wonderful breakfasts every morning. The young lad that works there , Szabolcs, was very helpful - told us where the bus stops were, where to get travel tickets and also where the best local restaurants were. A great place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Room Tip: We had room 7 which is right on the top floor - not good if you have mobility problems. 2 rooms on f...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julios
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2012

As soon as we arrived we were impressed. Robert (the owner) sat us down and showed us a map and gave us directions on how to take transit to downtown and all the hot spots in Budapest. You can buy transit tickets from him and tours its so convenient. He even offered to drive us to a restaurant we could grab something to eat, it was really late when we arrived and we must of looked pretty tired and hungry. We were so impressed.

The room itself was fantastic, super clean and updated. We had just finished traveling in Romania and Greece so we were pleasantly surprised the beds were north American comfy. In the morning we were greeted by an amazing breakfast spread. Robert was on hand to answer any questions we had in regards to our days events and being able to chat with the other guests really makes you feel at home.

Hands down one of the best Pensions (B&B's) I have ever stayed at, even better than some hotels. I will only stay at Villa Korall in Budapest from now on.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erooka
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I genuinely could not find fault with this gem of a pension. It really is excellent value for money. We came here for our wedding anniversary but chose a budget option as we had only recently returned from another holiday. I very much doubt that we could have been more comfortable if we had paid double or treble the price.
Our room was a reasonable size and had an immaculately clean bathroom. The shower was a good size with a powerful flow of water. The beds were very comfortable. Although our room did not have air conditioning it was equipped with a large fan. All of the public areas were spotless.
The price we paid would have been good just for the room but breakfast was included as well! There was a good range of cheese, ham, salami, tomatoes, cucumber, several types of bread, croissants etc. As if this wasn't enough you could have eggs and bacon freshly cooked any way you liked.
Sylvie gives everyone a warm welcome and takes the trouble to ensure her guests understand transport links etc. She said she only took over the Villa Korall six months ago. To her credit she seems to have maintained the high standards set by the previous owner (judging from previous reviews). It is a sign of a well managed hotel that standards were maintained when Sylvie took a couple of days off. The two young men that took over from her simply carried on providing the same exemplary service.
Although Villa Korall is not in the centre of Budapest the 139 bus runs frequently from nearby and only takes about 15 minutes to reach a transport hub in the city which was an easy stroll from the old town. Alternatively buses, metro or trams ran from there to the Pest side of the city. We thought that the quiet location of the hotel was a real bonus.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank baloo42
Jeddah
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I arrived at the Villa Korall on June 17th, and immediately I was impressed. I was greeted enthusiastically by Sylvie, the absolute legend of a woman working the hotel, and given a map of the city, directions into town and a perfect google map of the area so I wouldn't get lost. Even though I was early, my room was prepared for me quickly and I was given a cup of tea. I also explained to Sylvie my unique situation- I had come to Budapest for medical reasons, and was going to have surgery the next day. She was so supportive and caring, and helped me organize everything I needed to make my recovery speedy and easy- She stocked the minibar with ice to help with the swelling, she showed me the pharmacy and the grocery store and told me I could always ring down to reception and they would order food for me if I couldn't leave my room. My mind was put at ease- all before I even entered my room!

The room I stayed in was on the top floor with big windows overlooking greenery. The hotel is suburban, and the area is really nice and quiet- I could hear the ice cream truck go by! The room was perfect- A large big bed, a big bathroom with shower and plenty of toiletries and a minibar stocked full of ice and other goodies. It was pristinely clean. The room also has great WIFI access- so I could entertain myself on the computer. The TV also had an English Channel- TCM, so I got to watch The Last Samurai while recovering and other films. There was also both air conditioning and a fan, which helped since it was almost 35 degrees out. The room is serviced daily, which I didn't expect for the price paid.

The breakfast is another major selling point of this hotel. Loads of food, and Sylvie will make you eggs if you like. She is so eager to help and is a really lovely woman. For breakfast I had: cereal, yoghurt, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, cucumber, cheese, orange juice and coffee. The breakfast room is very cute, nice tables and very comfortable. There is even a really sweet cat, Tomas who hangs out with you, which was nice as I was travelling alone.

The area near the hotel is not city central, but it easy and inexpensive to get into the centre. While I took mostly cabs in (around 2300 FLT) the bus is easy too. In the area you do have restaurants, shopping, pharmacies and a couple of salons, so it was plenty for me while I was getting better. The city is so close though, and the hotel is a rally nice place to come back to after a busy day out in bustling Budapest.

My experience could not have been better. I was nervous to stay in Budapest, as I am a young solo traveller, and, as I stated, I was having surgery there, but I felt so comfortable and at home in the hotel, and felt particularly attached to Sylvie and to Robert (the other worker, who was just as kind). Sylvie's English is impeccable, and she seems to really care about her guests. Honestly, it was perhaps the best accommodation and customer service I have received, and I have travelled quite extensively. During my previous visit to Budapest, I stayed at the Sheraton, and Villa Korall was better, and far less expensive. If you stay anywhere in Budapest, stay here. :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank seenysue
Klagenfurt, Austria
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We spent 4 nights here and it was very comfortable and quiet. The hotel is in the suburbs but there's a city bus around the corner from the hotel and buses constantly come by. It took about 15-20 minutes to get to the subway station and into the city center. It was really no problem for me because the buses went back to the hotel late in the evening. The neighborhood is very safe even at night and a supermarket is just 2 blocks away close to the bus stop. The room was very simple, no frills but very clean and bright with a nice balcony. The staff was very nice and helpful. Breakfast was fresh and choices were plentiful. Eggs cooked to order were a real treat! Silvia, the manager, was a true gem. She speaks great English and was available to help when I had questions or needed taxi service to and from the train station. Bottom line- you will feel very welcome and well taken care of.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Samantha1970
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Hotel is is my opinion a little bit hard to find without using sattelite navigation. Despite of that it is located in a really quet area, and if you get a room on the top floor you'll get a really nice view of the surrounding hills. Breakfast is good value and it contains various types of cheese, meats, cereals, yoghurt, milk, juice, cofee, tee, etc...
The hotel is really popular for transit because it's really close to the motorway to Viena and the parking is enough for about 5 cars. Hotel staff is nice and polite.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple