“Overbooking” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #151 of 187 Budapest B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Overbooking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

The hotel is centrally located, but the entrance is through a restaurant and not really visible from outside.
We booked a night through the Internet but when we got there they told us the house was full. I showed my reservation but a very rude waiter (from the restaurant) told us to go. He called the manager on the phone, but they had solution to give us.
We finally got to the Matyas City Hotel, not far from it, a bit more expensive.

The good thing about the Galilei is their post-customer service, they refunded the difference between their fare and fare paid at the Matyas City Hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheMetalTraveller

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
Belgrade, Serbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

Restaurant stuff will empty your wallet in cold blood and shamelessly explain you why your bill is so sky high for so poor meal and service. Menu has no meaning here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
      Rooms
2 Thank Danijela_11

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

Complete and utter rip off.

Ordered 4 hot wines (adertised at 500HUF) and two soups. Got charged 12000HUF (£40)

Manager extreemly rude and unhelpful, called us liars!!

Whilst complaing there was another 2 couples/families complainig,

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
8 Thank Sarah_WBanbury
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

When I got to the hotel, I was asked by one of the waiters to wait until he had time to check me in. It took about 45 minutes before he had time to sit with me. So, I thanked him for making time. While he was doing the paperwork, I asked him about internet access which was included in the hotel amenities. He said that the room and the hotel itself do not have internet. He suggested that I go to Burger King which is about a block away for a free wifi. I was really dissppointed. We went up to my room and it looked really clean. He warned me about the hotel not being responsbile for lost items. I guess he meant the cleaning people might go through my things and steal whatever they could. To be on the safe side, I took all my valuables with me whenever I left my room. About twice a day, there was this loud explosion coming from the bathroom. It's not just a sound I could ignore. ONe time it was early in the morning and it terrified me. It was the gas operated water heater. I went down to the same waiter who checked me in and complained. He and I went up to my room. I told him that I was having trouble sleeping because I'm worried that it might really explode and result in a serious physical injury. He said it's just normal. I said that I was going to unplugged it. He said not to do that because the other rooms are dependent on that water heater. He threatened me and said that if I turned it off and the other hotel guests went to complain he would know I did it. I unplugged it anyway. I did it anyway because I couldn't relax and sleep. So, please, don't ignore these reviews because you will definitely leave Budapest, which is a beautiful city, with a bad memory.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LoneTraveler124
Cambridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

A cynical tourist rip-off. A very BAD start to my evening in Budapest.
They charged triple for wine and then for bread and then some bogus tax on top.
The bill was more than 3000 F more than it should have been.
If Franz Joseph I stayed here in 1885 then they should be even more ashamed of themselves.
On the basis of this many people would be tempted to write off Budapest and Hungary altogether, which would be a mistake as Hungarians are kind, intelligent and hospitable people.

Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank semanteme
Worcestershire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

Had a meal at this resteraunt. The bill when it arrived bore little relation to the menu. The guy who runs this place does a disservice to the rest of the resteraunts on the Vaci Utca who serve good at fair prices. This place doesn't.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Robert B
Liverpool, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

After being warned by our Tour Guide that same day to always look at a menu when ordering drinks and food, we were that giddy that we forgot and as my two sisters, niece and myself had had such a lovely evening and we were heading for a bar we had been to the previous night - The For Sale (which is excellent ), on our way we were pursuaded to go into The Galilei for a drink, we didn't ask for a menu and we ordered two glasses of wine, a rum and coke and a malibu and coke, we nearly died when the bill worked out at £40 for the four drinks.

We obviously kicked up a fuss over this but there reply was "I didn't tell you it was cheap". We felt totally let down and disappointed that people can do this to us but we learnt a valuable lesson that night.

PLEASE BE WARNED