“good choice of hotel”

Ranked #42 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Horsham, United Kingdom
“good choice of hotel”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

great location, lot of good of restaurants within walking distance. Staff very friendly especially on reception - really helpful. Room good, clean and plenty of hanging space. Bathroom good with hairdryer, cleans towels daily. Very pleased with our choice of hotel and would definitely visit again.
Ran out of time to use the spa but maybe next time...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Carat Hotel is a very nice hotel, the rooms are very clean and spacious. Staff are friendly and the breakfast was very good and diversified.

The best of course of the hotel is its location and the fact that it is on the main street gives it a better access to anywhere via the main metro station there.

I will definitely return back to Carat Hotel for future vacations.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street are a little bit noisy due to the crowdness there.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Lebanon,Pa
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I spent three nights here and feel that the hotel is a good choice for my preferences in a hotel.It has a convenient location to some of Budapest's attractions.I like to explore on foot,so this worked well for me.There were usually quite a few people out and about, so the area never felt deserted and I was always very comfortable walking in an unfamiliar area to me.
There are quite a few restaurants within a ten minute walk in several directions. A transportation hub is just a two minute walk away where there is a tram stop, an underground station and stops for several bus lines.The Hop On/Hop Off busses also stop in the immediate area.
I did not drive during my stay, but the hotel is situated on a narrow one way street and the parking situation appeared to be somewhat problematic. I can not say if the property offers any type of parking for guests.
I was in room 104, which faces the street.I did notice some outside noise,but not enough to be annoying to me. I felt that the room was spacious enough for me, but for more than one occupant it could feel a bit cramped.The bed was comfortable, but the covers were a touch small for my liking. There was a fair amount of closet space and the room desk was a good size as well.The bathroom was also a decent size with enough counter space for the everyday toiletries. The cleanliness of the room was quite satisfactory. I had no issues with my particular room.
Breakfast was average.The selection seemed rather limited,but was enough to satisfy me.
For the most part the staff was friendly and happy to help with any inquiries that I had.
Overall I was happy with my stay and would not have a problem staying here again..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Having stayed in room 306 (near the street):
- too much noise from the street (pubs, cars, restaurants..) until at least 2am in the morning
- the quality of the bed is so poor
- the quality of the cleaning in the room can be better
- average quality of breakfast (not that much of choice/variety)
On a positive side, the gentleman at the reception was friendly and helpful. The location itself (not considering the noise at night) is good.

Room Tip: certainly do not stay in a room on the street side
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim P
Sydney
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Carat is a decent choice given it's convenient location to the centre of the city and a number of main sights. Our stay did have a couple of issues however. Our room was facing the street, had a very nursing home smell to it, and despite being on a high floor, the noise coming from the street was just ridiculous. Ppl shouting and yelling on the street at early hours and loud music & partying in neighbouring bars and apartment buildings. Keeping the windows closed did not help much. At 1.30am with drunk ppl on the street still disturbing us we asked if it was possible to move rooms. The guy on reception had a very know-it-all attitude & muttered "well, it's the party district". Although reluctant he did find another room for us & said we might have to pay for the other room given that we 'used it' (for 2hrs!). This concerned us however luckily in the morning the more experienced staff told us this was not the case. The second room was totally silent and much better so we were thankful that we could be moved to an internal facing room. Wifi however did not work in either room, reception only.

Another issue was the breakfast. I've never seen a hotel breakfast like it & just can't believe how a hotel of this size can serve such rotten & stale food. See the photos. The fruit was off, looks like it was sitting there for weeks, the breads were rock hard, the eggs were awful (just look at the pic and you can see they do not even look like eggs at all). Food this old should not be served to guests. It was quite disappointing & the only good thing was the coffee (because they didn't make it).

Lastly, the reception staff gave us incorrect advice regarding getting to the Citadella, saying there was no bus & we would have to walk all the way up. But we discovered there was a bus that took us exactly where we wanted, so, tourist info questions are probably best saved for the tourist info in town, not the staff here. I also would not recommend using the airport shuttle company that they book. At least the driver we had drove like a madman, had a few near misses and we feared for our lives every minute of the way.

Overall, the location is both a pro and a con, very convenient but awfully noisy if you get a room facing the street due to the number of bars and discos next to it. The staff were a combination of helpful & unhelpful, friendly and unfriendly. It was a decent stay but a number of improvements are needed and I probably wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Get an internal facing room to avoid the large amount of street noise
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laguida
Aiea, Hawaii
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed in room 101 which faces the courtyard. The staff spoke english and were helpful in arranging my taxi to Keleti train station upon departure. The room is an okay size but not much of a closet. There was a safe in the room but it was on the floor level of the cabinet which made it awkward to use for someone tall like me. The bathroom had a decent sized shower and a heated towel rack. The heated towel rack came in handy for drying clothes I washed in the sink. The breakfast was included and contained hot and cold items. The wifi worked well for me. The biggest plus is the location. I don't understand Lyn's comment about a bad location for sight seeing. The hotel is located less than two minutes from Deak Ferenc ter. Deak is the hub for the metro lines plus the #47 and #49 trams both run to the Central Market and Gellert. The #16 bus runs up to the castle area and the #9/#26 buses will get you to Margarit Island. Andrassy Av is 2 blocks away and the Opera House is about 5 blocks away. The hotel is also located on the edge of the Jewish Quarter with two wine bars (Di Vino and Kadarka) both just down the street. Overall the hotel was a good avlue.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank HonoluluGolfer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a small, clean and comfortable central Budapest 3* hotel, but by reference to normal hotel industry categorisation and definitions, it is neither 4* (ie first class), nor a boutique hotel (unique, intimate and/or offering specialised). The reception staff were friendly and helpful, my room was adequate if rather small, and my bed was comfortable although I experienced a disturbed night because the room overlooked a busy street. It is usefully located close to the pivotal Deak Ferenc metro station and the rooms are competitively priced. However, the breakfast selection was quite limited, and the hotel has nothing unique which marks it out as meriting the appellation 'boutique'.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business