“Outstanding cuisine in an authentic atmosphere.”

Shiraz Persian Restaurant
Ranked #2,413 of 3,080 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Francisco, California
“Outstanding cuisine in an authentic atmosphere.”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Having lived in both Washington, DC and Los Angeles, I have been accused of being somewhat of a Persian food connoisseur. Both areas boast a large diaspora of Persians and subsequently, many terrific Persian restaurants. We found Shiraz restaurant by sheer coincidence. The ambiance was pleasantly accentuated by authentic Persian decorations. The staff was very welcoming and friendly. We sat down to a round of tea and various appetizers prior to ordering our meal. Our waitress explained how the stews were prepared and was knowledgable of what ingredients were used in the recipes. When the food arrived, the unmistakable aroma of saffron signaled an authentic meal. Ounce for ounce saffron is more expensive than gold. So we were delighted to see a generous portion of the rice mixed with saffron. The kabobs were so succulent that I had no doubt the meat was marinated well in advance of grilling. We had an exquisite culinary experience and returned to Shiraz several times prior to leaving Budapest. All in all, two thumbs up.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank 6sigmax

• Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
Zurich
“Decent non-Hungarian option in central Pest”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We were looking for an early meal before leaving Budapest and this place caught our eye after eating Hungarian food for several days. Initially the people smoking water pipes was a little intimidating, but after we went in we were shown to a quiet (too quiet) back area. It was luxuriously appointed with rugs, wall hanging and lamps that gave it a really nice atmosphere. The service was very helpful. The food was average Turkish style food, but we enjoyed it nonetheless. The prices were about right for that street in the tourist district.

From the other reviews it sounds like it is a much better experience when it isn't crowded.

• Visited May 2013
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
“Good for shisha, don't bother for food”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We had been eating at reasonably cheap restaurants all weekend during our recent stay in Budapest so as it was my birthday, decided to go for something slightly more upmarket on our last night. The food here seemed quite overpriced for what it was - although the meat was nicely seasoned and really tasty - and we had eaten food of much the same or a higher standard for cheaper at other places. The service was fine although we did have to request them to restart the CD player a couple of times when the music stopped (as it felt a bit like being in a library!). The decor was really nice (lots of carpets, wall hangings etc.) so if you fancy a smoke on a shisha pipe and a nice mint tea on a comfy sofa it might be worth a stop - otherwise I would say probably don't bother.

• Visited March 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Big rip off, Don't go there!”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I have just come back from Shiraz restaurant (Feb-2013) and I see it as my duty to write a few words and share my unpleasant experience with you. I am staying at Corinthia Royal Hotel, this is an excellent hotel which has 3 high-end restaurants. Instead of eating food in the hotel I decided to go to Shiraz and try their food. The decoration of the restaurant was fairly nice but I wish I could say the same about the food. In fact I was struggling with myself to find a better word than Awful to describe the food but I couldn't.

After checking the menu I decided to order Sultani (a grilled kebab dish containing two different kebabs, Barg & Kubideh). It cost 2950 ft. The waitress told me that if I want Persian style Sultani I need to see other menu. She brought another menu and the same Sultani dish was cost 3750 ft??!! I didn't see any different between normal Sultani and Persian style sultani except the price. I asked about the difference and the waitress told me NO English?

Anyways I decided to go for Persian Style Sultani and after 20 min she brought the food. The Barg (lamb filet) was so dry ( i mean extremely dry) that every bite took 5 minutes to chew. Not even that it was tasteless and hardly edible. The Kubideh (lamb minced grilled meet) was even worse. I am not sure if the restaurant even runs by Iranians as they were playing a very load Arabic music and no one could speak a single word of Persian.

I couldn't eat the food and I was so disappointed. The food was awful and I Ieft a big portion of my food on the plate. I had a small bottle of water and a coffee after the food. I asked the waitress to bring the bill and I was charged 5700 ft. Not only the Persian style Sultani cost me 3750 ft but also they charged me 650 for the rice??!! The funny part was that the sum was actually 5180 ft but additional 520 ft was added as a tip (It was mentioned TIP ...... 520 ft in the bill). I have no idea where the 570 ft came from and why do I have to pay tip??

I am an Iranian and I have eaten Iranian food all my life. Due to my work I travel to different countries in Europe, N. America, ME and Asia in weekly basis and I have tried Persian food in different countries and I have to admit that I have NEVER, EVER had such a bad Persian food in my life.

The dinner inclusive taxi fare cost me more than 11000 ft. I could eat a high quality food in any restaurant in any country with this money. Anyway don't go there unless you want to throw your money away .

• Visited February 2013
5 Thank Persian P
Kouvola, Finland
“Beautiful place, poor service.”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

This restaurant was pretty and cozy, but service was poor and rude!
Waitress left table between our sentences and looked like very pissed off.
She rolled her eyes with everyone.......
We didn't do anything bad and she looked like she just wants us out quick.
They added very big tip to our bill, and because of that we didn't have enough cash.
And i couln't pay with any card! So i ran allover the place finding ATM!
Music was so loud that we didn't hear anything and food was average, nothing more.

• Visited February 2013