“Still rockin'”

Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District V / Inner City
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I've known Iguana since it started back in the 90s - it was wild then and hasn't changed! Great Tex-Mex food and fantastic cocktails (for that, read Margaritas, etc.). Went back for a reunion of old Budapest hands and we all felt as though the years had been airbrushed out. The only difference is that the locals (Hungarians) have also taken it to their hearts. Viva Iguana!

There are newer reviews for Iguana

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I love this place and return every time I'm visiting Budapest. The food is great, very tasty and true to Tex-Mex flavors with just enough local twist to make it interesting. Drinks and cocktails are also superb. Portions are generous. Service is top-notch, friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Good location, close to downtown, Hungarian Central Bank, USA Embassy, etc. Food is good, drinks, including cocktails are good, service is good although could have been a bit more attentive. So what's the problem? Well, the problem is that the food is not authentic, and drinks are only getting close to the popular mexican selection. For example, they don't even know what Michelada is.. They do have food called chimichanga, burrito, etc., etc. but really .... they should consult some authentic mexican cookbooks. To me the biggest disappointment was the guacamole. I know, its recipe is usually flexible but within certain limits. Otherwise, fairly good value for money.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The chips and salsa were great, a bargain for 600 fts! The soft drinks come with ice in the biggest glasses I've seen in Eastern Europe. I've loved the Hungarian cuisine so far, but just wanted a break and wanted something familiar. They were busy for a Tuesday night, I was asked if we had reservations, we didn't. But we did get a table for two outside, glad to have gotten it as they were busy. The waitress recommended the spicy beef chimichangas, they were great but not overly filling. My wife got the combo fajitas, chicken and steak, but there was no chicken on the plate when it came out, we didn't make an issue out of it. The large icy cokes made up for it. We did get an order of the carne asada steak tacos too, they weren't that great. But for a break from the local fare and to actually leave a place full and satisfied without feeling ripped off, it was a good restaurant. Also, if you're new to Hungary most places include the tip on the bill, service charge - "kiszolgálási díj" as they did, and since I had to wait for 30 minutes after asking for the bill, I thought 1280 fts was a more than fair tip.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Very nice location for tourists, just off the Parliament and Szabadság Square.However, the food used to be more tasty and of higher quality. We ordered a tequila coctail, which was way too strong (this might not be a bad point for some).
Then we ordered a Taco salad, which according to the menu contained guacamole, sour cream and black olives. This was represented by hardly a spoonful of guacamole and sour cream and three (3!) pieces of black olives. The rest was iceberg salad that swam in a very fluid tomato sauce.
All in all, for this price I expected more of the "expensive and valuable" ingredients, this is why I gave poor rating.