Kadar etkezde
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Reviewed 23 March 2014

it was like a time travel - straight into the kitchen of my Hungarian (great cook) granny. the same delicious smells, the atmosphere - it was so delicious and served so lovingly - we wanted to go kiss the cook when we were done. they were even kind enough to prepare for us (3 sisters) a specific dish that our grandmother used to prepare, especially for the following day.
great food and the best hospitality we have seen here.
love you, Kadar!

2  Thank nushki65

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is a restaurant, which resembles me my childhood. The interior, the famous checkered cloth, the gastronomy the soda water and strawberry syrup all resemble the 60's and 70's in an unaltered form. Friendliness of the personal is the same when Budapest was not overrun ...

1  Thank BandiBudapest
Reviewed 6 March 2014

If you want an authentic Hungarian meal that is focused on your enjoyment of the meal and not how money can be extracted from tourists (or locals for that matter) then try this restaurant. It's small and it is not going to be a gourmet experience. It will, however, give you a great sense of local foods. The staff was unbelievably friendly. I had the turkey with potatoes and cabbage, all delicious, and ordered the pickles on the side plus then added another mixed veggie side salad, because my cousin had it and I couldn't pass it up. I'm planning on going back very soon. Consider going somewhat off hours for a less crowded experience. We arrived around 2pm on a weekday and it was still busy, but there were a few open tables.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Three words to describe this place: simple, affordable, and typical. This place being typically Hungarian, we were a bit lost at first but the waitress was very helpful and we ended eating local dishes. Both the soup and mains were delicious but we were a bit less convinced by the deserts (but this is just a matter of personal taste!)

3  Thank MaeliaB
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Wanted to have a go at Hungarian food and found this restaurant to be highly recommended as a local hang out place. It is a small restaurant with the feeling of home. The walls of the interior were decorated with pictures of famous people signed to the restaurant so I figure this place has been around for quite a while. the waitresses were friendly even though the place was crowded. I had the main dish which was reasonably priced and it was definitely satisfying! glad I visited this local joint.

1  Thank Minzhen N