“Tasty meals.”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Delicious food in great atmosphere. The restaurant is small but homely. After some reviews we decided to visit Kadar for lunch. Weren't disappointed. The waitress had some English and suggested a couple of dishes, which we took. Really good. Do try the hot paprika paste to accompany the dishes...so good! You will feel you are in Hungary.
Look at a photo of the facade before you go as it is easy to miss it.
Go for lunch. They are closed in the evenings.

1  Thank Hipayay

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This bustling restaurant serves up fantastic filling dishes at very reasonable prices. I had my first ever matzah ball soup which was fantastic! I don't know much about Hungary but this restaurant certainly felt very authentic to me. Our waitress was very nice and dealt well with the language barrier.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

it was like a time travel - straight into the kitchen of my Hungarian (great cook) granny. the same delicious smells, the atmosphere - it was so delicious and served so lovingly - we wanted to go kiss the cook when we were done. they were even kind enough to prepare for us (3 sisters) a specific dish that our grandmother used to prepare, especially for the following day.
great food and the best hospitality we have seen here.
love you, Kadar!

2  Thank nushki65
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is a restaurant, which resembles me my childhood. The interior, the famous checkered cloth, the gastronomy the soda water and strawberry syrup all resemble the 60's and 70's in an unaltered form. Friendliness of the personal is the same when Budapest was not overrun ...

1  Thank BandiBudapest
Reviewed 6 March 2014

If you want an authentic Hungarian meal that is focused on your enjoyment of the meal and not how money can be extracted from tourists (or locals for that matter) then try this restaurant. It's small and it is not going to be a gourmet experience. It will, however, give you a great sense of local foods. The staff was unbelievably friendly. I had the turkey with potatoes and cabbage, all delicious, and ordered the pickles on the side plus then added another mixed veggie side salad, because my cousin had it and I couldn't pass it up. I'm planning on going back very soon. Consider going somewhat off hours for a less crowded experience. We arrived around 2pm on a weekday and it was still busy, but there were a few open tables.