“Coffee and cakes to die for!!!”

Callas Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #399 of 3,582 Restaurants in Budapest
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Andrássy út
Reviewed 19 September 2014

Hard to resist this cafe when you look at the cakes displayed in the window!
We sat outside with a view to the State Opera House. Fittingly, I had Opera cake which was a lovely coffee and chocolate concoction.My husband had walnut and cream cake which I think was called Esterhauzy cake. We both opted for Callas coffee which was a delicious mix of coffee with ginger and honey and topped with cream. Expensive but worth every HUF!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed 16 September 2014

Right across from the opera house, this is the place to go after your visit for just coffee or a pastry or lunch. It will transport you back to Budapest's Belle Epoque.

Reviewed 15 September 2014

We ( a party of three couples) had lunch here recently.
The quality of food and service was at least up to the standard we enjoyed three years ago.

Reviewed 15 September 2014

Food was very tasty, though service was varying. I was a business traveller on my own and felt the service was noticeably 'cooler' than with some of the paired guests. Could be considered a little stuck up. Other than that, the service was fine. Take into account that the tip (borravaló) is already included in the bill (irrespective of party size). The restaurant looks nice, clean and quite posh (not cheap for local standards). Best thing was definitely the food, which was spot on both times I went. Had a lovely duck dish one night - nicely crisp skin and perfectly pink inside, and lamb shank the other night - which fell of the bone, so tender. They even had a gluten free chocolate tart, very yummy! Would recommend for the food, if nothing else.

Reviewed 14 September 2014 via mobile

Ate dinner here the Sunday evening of our stay and were variously entertained by a musical trio who ran through a number of polkas, traditional dancers and a couple of arias. I'll admit that I usually hate music while I eat but it was hard to resist the enthusiasm of all of the performers. The food was lovely - we went with duck breast and the truffled half chicken then shared a couple of the many delicious looking cakes on offer. Service is a little slow but is nonetheless charming. This is a lovely setting - in the style of a grand European café on a wide boulevard fringed with mature trees. Well worth a visit.