“Beautiful interior & good cocktails”

Callas Cafe & Restaurant
Ranked #397 of 3,581 Restaurants in Budapest
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Andrássy út
Reviewed 9 November 2014 via mobile

We popped in to Callas for a quick drink on the walk back to our hotel. It was early evening - just after the Opera House rush. Interior is Art Deco in style, but with a clean & modern feel. Staff were friendly & helpful. Champagne cocktails were very good. If we passed again, may try the food...

Write a ReviewReviews (1,094)

Reviewed 6 November 2014

Good location (very close to the Opera), loved the high ceiling and the atmosphere. Food was good, not exceptional but everything ok.

Reviewed 5 November 2014

It couldn't have been more convenient for dinner before the opera. The space is attractive and the service pleasant and efficient. I should have gone with my first choice entrée, but asked the waiter for his advice, and he encouraged me to get the steak and foie gras special, saying the steak was from Argentina. I found the meat tough to cut as well as to chew. The rest of the meal was fine. Would I recommend it to someone not attending the opera? Probably not. But it served its purpose well.

Reviewed 5 November 2014

Our hotel made a reservation for my girlfriend and me for 8:30 p.m.; we arrived very hungry at 8:10. The captain greeted us with a harsh "your reservation was for 7:00 p.m., we called your hotel and now all I can give you is a table outside." I explained he was mistaken and I pointed to several empty tables; ever so reluctantly he led us to the worst. I told him it was unacceptable, he shrugged his shoulders and I then said fine, we'll go elsewhere for dinner. He then gave us a fine table and, best of all, a different waiter. Once we got through that, we had a wonderful server who helped us choose a superb Hungarian wine. The food was terrific, Hungarian oriented but modernized, strong flavors, not heavy. One of our best meals on a 2-week trip.

Reviewed 4 November 2014

Of course with the name "Callas", you know it will be perfect for either before or after the opera, which is literally right next door. Only had a bowl of chicken soup, which was really delicious and dessert, which was even tastier - but was impressed that the service was excellent.