“Good food, fast service”
Review of Kiskakukk Etterem

Kiskakukk Etterem
Ranked #126 of 3,383 Restaurants in Budapest
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We came there in July, ordered goose liver and goose leg and salmon rolls... Food was great the service was fast and we really enjoyed the visit, definitely one of the best places to visit.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We went to this place on the recommendation of a friend from Budapest. We ate there three times during our one week of vacation. It was by far the best place we found around (for our budget).
The setting was traditional, the service very professional and friendly. It's clearly a place with tradition and oriented to locals, although we had no problems communicating in English. Amazingly, prices were lower than the standards in the area.
The food was gorgeous. The quality was by far better than in the other places we tried. The portions were big and there were several options for vegetarians.
Since the place is crowded in the evenings, we recommend to reserve a table.

Highly recommended, I wouldn't look further for other places.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The best meal we had in Budapest--by far! Some local friends took us to this restaurant promising fabulous Hungarian cuisine without all the touristy hype--and we were not disappointed. The food is fresh, the menu large and varied, and the service is friendly. The restaurant also boasts a homely quiet atmosphere, and it's not at all stuffy or done-up; it's elegant while still remaining casual. We were a party of six, including two children ages 14 and 10; we had reservations, were seated immediately and tended to like we were the only ones in the room (which we were not--the restaurant was at least half full, as we were there at 6:00, so a bit early by European standards). They serve such a great variety of foods--I highly recommend the eggplant stuffed turkey with jasmine rice; and my youngest really enjoyed the roasted goose leg. If you want amazing food, ample portions, great service at a very good price, I would recommend getting a table at Kiskakukk Etterem. Fabulous!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My holiday apartment was nearby to the Kiskakukk and I had walked past the restaurant on a number occasions on my short stay in wonderful Budapest - I was really taken with the menu and prices displayed outside and the decor looking in. My landlord thought it was a place I should visit and I finally made it for lunch before leaving for the airport. Unfortunately it was a very disappointing experience. The decor and atmosphere were fantastic, the service brusk and unsmiling, my salad starter ordinary and unexciting, the much anticipated crispy duck leg was indeed crispy and had some taste but was as dry as dust - it was obviously pre-cooked and re-heated possibly deep fried given the speed it arrived at the table. It was probably my own fault for not asking to see the wine list but a glass of Chardonnay and a large glass of excellent Cabernet Sauvignon, delivered by the unsmiling waiter, cost almost as much as my starter and main together! The other lunch time patrons all seemed to enjoy their non-crispy duck lunches.

1  Thank LoveToGangAwa
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is our third consecutive spring we spend some time in Budapest. The simple fact remains unchanged: This is where we enjoy food more than anywhere else in this big city of great food. The only variations we do is in the main course. We stick to divine game soup with estragon, and the goose liver starter, which are an absolute must!
The staff is efficient professional and kind.
We are already looking forward for next year's spring... :)