Aquaticum Debrecen Thermal and Wellness Hotel
US$43
US$54
US$50
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthermal bathsbreakfast and dinnerwater slidessauna worldfamilies with small kidsfour nightsnice hoteljunior suitereception stafftoilet paperroom priceopen airshower gelhotel guestshuge parkbusiness triptram stop
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I don't really have words good enough to describe this Hotel/Spa/Water adventure park. It is the best place if you like a fine hotel, a mediterranean aqua-world with plenty of adventures, perfect for ALL ages, 0-99. Staff is excellent, rooms are well maintained, nothing to complain about. The only concern is the quality of the buffet bar - it seems to have an average quality.

Room Tip: This year they have a massive reconstruction (2014), so you may want to ask for a room away from the work-zone.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Hello readers, this is my quick review of Aquaticum, in Debrecen. My family and I visited this hotel/wellness sziget(island) at the end of July 2013. So, lets talk about the bad: There are no signs indicating where this hotel is located! I must also let you know that even though the hotel has been rated 4stars, this rating is not accurate. The hotel is somewhat on a building that resembles a mental institution. Now, lets talk about the rooms. We were in Room 240. One of the beds creaked noisily, so I could not get naughty. The floorings are not sound proof, so you can hear your top neighbour walking up and down. The childrens bed were ok.The beds were laid with little or no care. The bed spreads were old and the pillows were uncomfortable. The hair dryer in the bathroom was very dusty; an indication that the cleaning needs to be upped to attain any level of 4star ratings! There was no coffee maker or iron in the rooms. These are normally provided in hotels with the acclaimed ratings.
Ok, lets get to the mouthwatering parts. The receptionists were very polite, professional and very efficient. They smiled and gave out accurate information; with regards to checking in/out, the use of the pools, spa etc. If you drove, there is a car park. You will pay HUF2000/day and tourist tax of HUF700/day (i think).There was free WIFI and the password is provided at request. Their command of English is very impressive, so I was able to communicate without looking stupid, since my level of Magyar is questionable!
The pools, spas are very good! There are visible presence of Aquaticum staff everywhere, which means you can get information pronto! They also look very happy at their job and are very approachable. I cannot estimate how many pools are there, but I can assure you that by the time you are done swimming, you skin will look like a newborn's skin. I recommend the bubble baths (35c). Boiled beef, anyone?
We opted for the free lunch bargain! This is a must have option. I can categorically say that we had no regrets. The restaurant (Aqua Etterem), I think I got the spelling right, was really good. The choices of food during breakfast, lunch and dinner were excellent. The service at the restaurant can be rated as 5stars! The waiters and waiteress moved with millitary precision and efficiency. I was really impressed with the whole atmosphere. DIshes/plates were picked up promptly, tables were cleaned immediately. It was so nice to see that these waiters/waiteress were still with smiles even when under pressure! I just thought if Aquaticum actually pay them good for their services.
The hotel has other facilities which I did not get the chance to use. For example, Thai massage, Solarium, Sauna and outside thermal bath. The outside thermal bath had lots of the matured folks, who seem to enjoy the sight of youths. The gym was not too big, but it had the necessary equipment to entice those who love to exercise themselves. I must warn you that during your stay at Aquaticum, you will see people of different shapes and sizes. If you are easily repulsed by some certain human sizes, blindfold may be required for you! In all, people were generally nice and the children had fun. This is a place for children to enjoy and parents to relax.
In conclusion, the services were excellent and the hotel should advertise itself as 'Aquaticum: '4star rated service' hotel. You will enjoy the restaurants' service and choice of food. There were no hidden charges, so at least you know what you are paying for. You pay for parking and tourist tax! The Wifi plays up at night, so be aware of that fact if you are attached to your devices or need to check your emails. If you do decide to visit them again, keep your invoice to get a 5% discount! The hotel is close to the Debrecen University. It is about 10-15minutes stroll. There is also a small Debrecen Zoo, located on Edy Andre ut (I think). Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Yes! Would I tell them that Aquaticum is a 4 stars rated hotel? No. However, I would say its services are 4 stars rated! Would I visit again? Yes.
So, there you have it folks. would your experiences be different from mine? only you can tell!
So, how was your day?

Room Tip: I am not able to make any suggestions because my visit was in summer of 2013, however íi would sugest that you book your rooms on the third level, because of the lack of sound proof flooring. It can also get noisy in the evening
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank AndyA2013
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel has not really changed since my visit 6 months ago, it still looks tired and in need of some TLC.
The airconditioning seemed to be performing better this time as my room was a comfortable temperature.
The restaurant served buffet food, but was good that the waiters recognised me from my previous visit, and greeted me by name on my first night in the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Heey,my dear readers!
My name is Diana and this time I'm going to tell you about Auqaticum!

Okay,review:

Let's start with time of the trip and members.
I'm 17 years old and I traveled with my parents and brother (5 years old) by car.
Destination: Uzhorod - Debrecen. Time of the departure - 30.05.2013
Using GPS navigator "Garmina" we could easily find the hotel.

The first impression was like " Oh Jesus Christ,what is that?". After entering the hotel (which occupies 2 last floors of the building,because first and second floors belong to public center of thermal bathes) it changed but only for a little bit.

Room: a usual room for 2 persons has a normal size and has a nice balcony. Room includes all modern conveniences,including fan,tv and things for bath. What really disappointed me - cleanliness. There was dust near tv, balcony and etc. Moreover, as we came after thermal bathes at about 1 PM and as our room was at the end of the corridor- cleaning woman never NEVER came in time! I mean, she came after we had already came in.

Food: breakfast and dinner. If you're looking for delicatessen,you're on the wrong way.
Food is normal but variety of it didnt make me happy and sometimes, meat was overdone.
If you have a small baby,it will be hard for you to feed your babe with that food.

Wi-Fi is free, you can ask for password on reception but as I remember it was : aquanticum.

Now, 2 global PLUSes:
1) thermal bathes are located right on the first floor and there is a special,separated entrance for people from hotel so that you can wear your bathrobe and go to the thermal bathes.You will be provided with towels and bracelets which will let you come in.

2) location of the hotel is perfect! It's situated near the thermal bathes and right in the huge park,so you won't be bored in the evening. Of course,you can take a tram,which is 7 stops away from city center (actually,we even walked there by foot but tram is faster). There is a small supermarket and a few restaurants around if you need to eat.

Some additional facilities:
- there is a good fitness center at the hotel
- there is an aquapark for small children (3-12 years old)
- there are many playgrounds around the hotel
- big parking for cars (don't remeber the price)

I guess, this is everything I wanted to tell you.
Thanks for reading my review,
For additional questions write me on email: dianalynov@yahoo.com

Have fun :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank VelvetMary
Reviewed 16 May 2013

The place was recommended as newly updated and yes, they updated the wireless internet, the keyless entry, but forgot the beds (couples room had 2 small beds put together!), the pool area, etc. We enjoyed a very relaxing time in all the pools, but honestly, this place, would be nothing if they didn't have the hot tubs. Lockers are terrible too.
Finding the hotel was very complicated just as much as finding the reception desk. Once you find them, they are very friendly. Buffet meals for breakfast and dinner were very typical Hungarian fare, which we really enjoy, that gets an A+.
There is a water park that we never saw, so no opinion. It was included in our package, but the girls at the 'bath reception' had no clue.
Very little English spoken! Good thing my husband speaks fluent Hungarian.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple