“nice 4 star wellness hotel in center”
Review of Hotel Lycium

Hotel Lycium
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Debrecen
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here two nights to attend a wedding. Hotel has good rooms with airco & fast wifi and you can enjoy the wellness: sauna, pool and whirlpool. Nice located next to the main square and church.

You can take the new nr. 2 tram from the train station, it's about 10 min

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rene_004

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Fair hotel, clean, good shower, good bed and breakfast. Walking distance from city center. Staff was friendly and striving to attend the needs. Short blankets were weird but I haven't asked for regular ones either so... maybe my fault :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel for three nights with colleagues whilst on business in Debrecen.
Upon arrival we drove our car into the underground car park, and although it was fairly large it was not immediately apparent that the car park is shared with another hotel, so you need to ensure you park in the correct area.
The.reception itself, whilst quite bright and functional was very soulless and had a corporate feel to it (especially with the Hertz desk in the corner), there is a bar to one side of the reception from which the decor from the reception is carried. We arrived just after the restaurant closed however to the hotel's credit they re -opened it and served us whatever we wanted on the menu.
My room was on the first floor and so I took the stairs and I was surprised that the stairs were concrete as though you are in a leisure centre and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out that at the top of each set of stairs you needed your key card to access each floor through a frosted glass door.
My room itself was very clean and functional however fairly basic however the air conditioning had not been on and it was very warm. The bathroom was also very clean and well equipped. I was a little disappointed that no tea and coffee facilities are not provided (although there is an area in reception where it is available free of charge, although personally I would have preferred it in my room).
Breakfast in the morning was served in the dining room (same style decor as the reception and bar - soulless and functional) however the food quality (buffet and continental selections) were of satisfactory quality.
Overall I would say this hotel is more than suitable for business use however I certainly wouldn't bring the family here for a break. I am not quite sure what this hotel is trying to be, whether its aiming for Holiday Inn / Best Western standards or towards luxury. To its credit however the hotel was spotlessly clean and the staff were excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Very nice location, clean hotel, friendly staff. When departing before breakfast, ask for bag-breakfast a day before and they prepare it very nicely for you. Thoug it takes a long time in reataurant to order dinner, get drinks, get the food and get the bill. Not for 'in-and-out' dinner, it takes at least 1,5hrs if not more. But only to recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I spent there one night with my wife and daughter. We were absolutely satisfied with everything. Clean room, helpful staff, and a real good wellness center. This is what a 4 stars hotel supposed to be.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I will start off this review by saying that I don't like Western box-type hotels and I usually choose not to stay in them, however I was on a business trip so I had little choice of hotel.

I arrived at this hotel around 9pm after a long train journey and working day in Budapest. Upon entering the hotel, it appears so soul-less. You are greeted by a long corridor, a reception area devoid of any personality, and a Hertz car rental.

There is no sign of anything welcoming or communal like a bar or restaurant area. When you go up in the lift, it arrives next to a set of concrete stairs and it took me a couple of minutes to realise I needed my key card to get through the door into the second floor rooms.

My room was fine - completely plain, with two single beds. As soon as I opened the door the room was roasting hot - it is unseasonably warm in Hungary at the moment so I switched on the aircon to cool things down. Unfortunately nothing happened and I slept badly during the night as it was so hot.

There was no room service menu in my room, nor any proper guest services booklet - I went down to reception and queried this and apparently there should have been one. The receptionist offered to phone the restaurant for me but by this point it was late and I decided against it.

Before going to sleep I tried to plug my ipad into recharge and I could not get power from any of the sockets. Clearly something happened during the night as when I awoke it was 80% charged.

In the morning, whilst doing my ablutions on the loo, the bathroom door swung continuously into me - the entrance to the bathroom is badly designed. Now I realise you could shut the door but when I'm travelling solo I don't always feel the need to do so.

When I checked out no-one asked me whether I had enjoyed my stay, so I made a point of complaining about the heat in the room. I was told that the aircon does not work from beginning of October and now there is just heating, and I should have opened the window (when I arrived the previous evening it was not clear in the dark that the window was the type that opened, and I had assumed that it didn't open as is often the case).

The person who checked me out did nothing more than mumble at me and it was left to another receptionist to apologise for the inconvenience with the heating.

I didn't enjoy this hotel experience and as my primary purpose was getting a good night's sleep before another day in the office, I left in a grumpy mood and very tired.

Location wise, the hotel appears to be ideally situated close to the centre of Debrecen - as I didn't know where I was, I got a taxi to the office - actually it was two minutes away in the car so I could have walked had I had more time to orientate myself. So in that respect it is very handy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank woganmog
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Hotel is well situated, within walking distance of the tram (which I needed to transfer to the university for meetings) and the historic Great Reformed Church of Debrecen. Comfortable bedroom, excellent breakfast in spacious restaurant. Air conditioning in bedroom not as effective as I had hoped, but Ifixed this by natural ventilation via the window. Wifi performed faultlessly. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business