Hotel Bacchus
  • Fitness centre
Tokajer Pension(Keszthely)
Tarr Apartmanok(Keszthely)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Positives: Clean, good location, friendly staff, can walk from train station.
Negatives: Tiny room, basic tired furnishings, holes in bedding and old towels.

The hotel restaurant was ok, but to be fair there wasn't much elso to choose from in the town. I would not recommend visiting in the winter months.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I'm at the hotel right now, using their complimentary wifi. The wifi code is bacchus8360. She'd give it to you anyway, but just in case they one day decide to charge... ANYWAYS. The receptionist was very nice, and it seems to be a small-time affair. The parking garage is a NIGHTMARE. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get out of. I foolishly parked there, even though she gave me a street pass to park on the road for free... HOW I'm going to get out is beyond me. We ate lunch at the resto, after walking down to the lake and discovering that the food down there would only be edible if one was trashed. We ordered the goulash, the fish soup, "granny's appetizer", the number 31 (pork marinated in cab sauv, with a cream sauce and bacon-grilled potatoe things), and a few other things. The restaurant portions are ridiculous....I mean...RIDICULOUS. It was amazing though. We had lunch, and are skipping dinner...even after we skipped breakfast. The house wine is perfectly fine. I ordered the white, while a friend ordered the red, and both were giant, and good. Very crisp. The room interiors are that clear-varnished-pine stuff that you find at 2 star hotels. THe beds aren't horrible, but you wouldn't want to spend a month on them. Floors are thin, so ask for a higher room. Otherwise, I highly recommend it.

For luxury it isn't much, but ambiance is lovely. I prefer this hotel to the Sofitel Chain Bridge in Budapest, where we spent 3 days.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2008

We have just returned from a two week stay at the Bacchus Hotel The Hotel is very well located in fact just off the main street. The room was clean and spacious with lots of storage for your clothes. However the bathroom was dated and had only a small shower cubicle and no bath. There wasnt many facilities at the hotel and most people seemed to stay for only one or two nights.The staff were all pleasant and helpful even though there was a language barrier.

The restaurant was in the basement and was very nice. The food was excellent and had some unusual dishes to be chosen. The portions were very large and we were never able to eat three courses. We were on an Inghams holiday and the meal deal gave us half a carafe of wine with dinner included. The wine was very good and one evening we had a wine tasting by the owners, which was very interesting. There was live music in the restaurant on most evenings which was okay.

However for us the Lake Balaton area was a little too quiet and Keszthely in the evenings was closed and nothing to do. There were some bars down near the lake but if you went down there you were bitten by mosquitoes.

Keszthely has many museums a high street and not much more. It was a very interesting holiday but I do not think we will holiday in that area again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank gordann
Reviewed 17 August 2007

Well, my guidebook (Lonely Planet) made it sound like the perfect choice for my overnight in Keszthely, giving it a high rating, and mentioning its having a good restaurant AND housing the Wine Museum.

Considering that the price was in league with some of the major resorts in nearby Heviz, I assumed that the quality of the rooms would be comparable. My goodness, was I mistaken.

No Air Conditioning. Windows that offer little ventilation. Paper-thin curtains. The carpet was of the thin, industrial office variety, and the furniture (what little there was) was of the cheapest thinly veneered plywood. The beds were small, and hard, and pretty much everything radiated the aura of an old 70's-era camp resort in the Ukraine (at least based on the pictures my Mother used to show me).

Things were clean -- but that by itself hardly justifies the price, when there's no TV, no internet, and no shower curtain!

Now, you'll note I did give the place two stars -- as I said, it was clean... and you'd be hard pressed to find a more central location in Keszthely. Also, the restaurant was indeed of good quality, and the staff was helpful, pleasant, and proficient in English.

The Wine Museum was somewhat of a bust -- more like a cellar of curios than a real serious MUSEUM museum. Nonetheless, the descriptive cards of various wines and regions made for a great lesson in Hungarian wines, and you can buy almost any bottle you see in the place (something I took full advantage of).

They're off to a good start with this place -- good location, nice staff, restaurant, and added bonus of the wine cellar/museum... but to justify anything other than a budget/motel price, the rooms are in serious need of upgrading!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank nycdave
Reviewed 16 February 2007

We got some cheap ryanair flights to balaton and settled on Bacchus in Kezsthely as a place to stay. THe whole area was pretty dead in Feb but the scenery is amazing and the weather was perfect. Definately recommend hiring a car. Visited Kezsthely, Hevis (thermal spa), Badascony (good views above the town), Szigliget was amazingily beautiful, but small and off the tourist track, Tapolca (not much going on - a big Tescos though), Sumeg (great castle), Tihany (Gorgeous), Balatonfured (not much going on) and Veszprem (a fairly typical but nice big town). Also dont miss the water buffalo reserve just south of the airport!!

Bacchus hotel was great - think we were the only guests but it was very clean and cheap and the staff were helpful and unintrusive. We ate at the restaurant each night (nothing else was really open) and the food was gorgeous and there was always loads of it! Not the cheapest in Hungary but very good. The house red wine was also lovely.

Stayed: February 2007