“terrible experience”

Bastya Wellness Hotel
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Miskolc
Reviewed 24 March 2014

we visited this hotel to spend my birthday with my girlfreind. we had booked this hotel for 3 days and 2 nights. the price charged for this hotel against the roo and teh service was too high, i wanted to book myself in the 4star category of this hotel, but i was being told that sincee i have a small puppy accompanying me i can only get myself a a room in the 3 star hotel, to which i agreed, on arriving to this hotel i was shocked to see that the hotel room which we got was tooo smelly and it had no balcony. Also can u believe that this room had no mini bar in it. On my birthday my girlfriend bought me a surprise cake which we ate and we requested the hotel staff to keep the cake in the fridge of their restaurant to which they refused giving us some lame excuse. Can u belive it?? also the breakfast and the dinner served was absolutely sub standard quality. i would recommend people to look for other options in miskolctapolca if they want the worth of their money. The staff is very friendly but the hotel management rules are too weird and unfriendly.

Room Tip: if you are desperate then the best option is to get a room in the 4 star category of this hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bastya Wellness Hotel

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Cave swimming 200 metres away, beautiful woodlands and a romantic park by the river all make this a wonderful part of Hungary to visit.

We booked a Privilege room in this hotel (4*) to get those extra comforts:
Extra large bathroom, that smells of rotting water
Mini bar, but no bottle opener
Gowns for bathing, but they are torn

We expected a welcoming attitude and good services:
"No, you can't check in before 2pm" - the hotel was not full, is this 2013 or 1913??
"No, you can't book a massage for tomorrow, come back tomorrow" - it was just a book, they could have done it!
Waiters clear the tables of plates but no one cleans them for the next guests.
More than half of the wellness centre was not 'activated' - you want a Sauna in the morning? sure.. just ask them 2 hours before so that they can switch it on!
Want to park you car outside the front of the hotel? Yes, that costs extra - and staff park there in the morning for free. It's OK to let the guests walk 50 metres with bags but that's to far for staff!

At least you will be fit when you leave - the hotel and wellness centre are intertwined with a warren of corridors that make it a 50 metre walk to your room, then back to reception to find the one door that leads 50 metres back to the pool you could see behind a brick and glass barrier.

We were fine, but don't come here IF YOU CAN'T USE STAIRS! The lift at the back of the hotel is a joke, reception IS 50 metres away and up and down loads of stairs - the back entrance is not good for anyone with walking problems either.

So, you still want to visit this hotel? ... there are other nice ones just around the corner... still not put off? OK, here's questions that we didn't know we had to ask:
1. Pay for your lunches in the attached restaurant in cash for a 10% discount - there's an OTP cash point on the wall outside. (same goes for drinks if you have a meal package)
1b. When it comes to pay and you can't see any waiters, just walk out to the yard (by the entrance) and you will find them chatting with each other.
2. Book your massage on the day or on the internet - don't expect to get one before 4pm, the masseur isn't available and they won't phone them to make special appointments
3. The jacuzzi and sauna in the basement should be operating from 4pm ... keep walking past the hotel safe and take the stairs down rather than up to the unheated pool.
4. Pay the 1000Ft for the wifi but ensure they give you the Wifi codes for the restaurant and your floor and floor 3 (floor 3 gives you wifi by the pool). They will do this but will complain, after all, they know best!

Room Tip: Privilege rooms are big, just don't expect the 4* quality that they say comes with it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

As Australian travellers we spent 3 long and almost sleepless nights at Bástya Hotel. We choose it because it is in the closest location, that is only a short walking distance to the famous 'must go and must see' fantastic Caves Bath (Barlang Fūrdő) at Miskolc-Tapolca.
However if you stay at this hotel, you have to accept the following discomforts we experienced:
- We could not open the windows because it had no netting, and there were lots of mosquitoes. Also with the open windows the noise of traffic was extremely high.
- We could not use the air conditioner which is located at the opposite side to the bed, because it blows the cold air right at you.
- No refrigerator in the room for a cool drink.
- Bad body odor smell from the inside of the obviously very old and relatively hard quilts, beddings.
- Incidentally they charge extra for WiFi in the room, extra 1000Ft/Day, for the use of the air conditioner extra 2000 Ft/Day.
The staff at the hotel were courteous and very helpful, including at the front desk, in the restaurant and at the the room service.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank FMStyevko
Reviewed 14 July 2013

What we DID LIKE:
Great location - about only 5 minutes (by foot) to Barlangfurdo SPA centre - it was the purpose of our Miskolctapolca visit - and to the city park where live very cute and "polite" squirrels From our window we saw the part of city park with a small lake where hundreds frogs live. We let the window be open all night long so the frogs "sang" us their songs - it was great :) THERE IS FREE CAR PARKING!!! In the beginning the staff will offer you a "vip-car-place" for extra money (I don't remember how much exactly, but too much for sure). Ask for a free parking place - there are great and free parking places behind the hotel (next to the hotel but from the backside) - we use it :) Good luck!

WHAT WE REALLY DIDN'T LIKE:
We felt uncomfortable (it's the first hotel where we felt like this, we've been to many hotels in many countries) Could feel a bit obnoxious smell like cigarette smoke. It's a bit absurdly - there's forbidden to smoke in the rooms. May be people used to smoke in the rooms in the past Old pillows - all the filling was pulled off In our opinion price is too high for such rooms and a hotel. If we'd go to Miskolctapolca again we'd choose a cheaper apartments without any SPA instead of this hotel but with the better feedback Go to Miskolctapolca only for Barlangfurdo SPA centre - it's one and only what you should see there. And if you go to Barlangfurdo SPA centre you dont need any Wellness center in your hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jusha_P
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We chose this hotel as it had indoor and outdoor swimming pools, but on arrival on Monday 27th May 2013 were informed that neither pools were ready for use. The outdoor pool was not filled and the indoor pool was closed for maintenance!! and was closed all week until the Saturday 1st June when we checked out. As the outdoor pool was closed, there was no other place available anywhere around the hotel to sit outside, and there was no lounge / bar area inside either. Lots of stairs and corridors up to the 4* bedrooms. Building work / scaffolding / swimming pool maintenance outside the 4* bedrooms, with noise starting at 8am! Breakfast room was dark and gloomy.

Girl receptionists were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: 4* rooms looking to the front of hotel are much brighter than 4* rooms at the back which were dark f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank linda c
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Unfortunately (right now I think fortunately) I have never stayed in this hotel, but I think after this never woud. I tried to book a room for two days in this hotel, by phone and mail, the prebooked it, but when they recieved the the money for booking by banktransfer they answer to my phone call ( I called them because they did not do it) and said that there is no room for me.
I have never find any hotel in the world do the same. It is not normal to cheat the guests.
Please avoid this hotel and forget the name "Bástya hotel Miskolctapolca" for the rest of your life. I do the same.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Babuci
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Honestly, I've never stayed at this hotel, but after one-minute interaction with their receptionist I never would. Going out from the famous Miskolc baths (which are located very close to this hotel) we felt like we got lost and could not remember in which direction was our hotel. None of the streets looked familiar, and there were no nameboards and then I noticed this hotel and decided to ask them for direction. The girl on reception said that she speaks a little English, and I asked her to help me find the street that I need. Without even looking at the little map which I had with me she answered with indifferent face "Nem tudom" ("I don't know" in Hungarian). I told her the name of the hotel where we were staying and heard the same "Nem tudom". I've made a few more attempts and the only thing I got from her was the name of the street I was staying at. Well, it turned out that our hotel was located just 600 meters away from Bastya hotel, and it's hard to believe she really didn't know. But even if she didn't know, the worst thing it that she didn't try to do a single thing to help me - neither looked at my map, nor asked her colleague for help (there was at least one more person at the office near reception), nor googled the directions for me... I was shocked and disappointed, I never expected such a bad service in Hungary.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank AnyutaKiev
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miskolc
Calimbra Wellness Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lillafured
Levay Villa Panzio
Levay Villa Panzio
#4 of 16 in Miskolc

Been to Bastya Wellness Hotel? Share your experiences!