“Good hotel choice for lake Balaton”

Janus Boutique Hotel & SPA
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Siofok
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Very clean hotel. Stylish turkish bath. Good location in Siofok if you don't mind walking some 0.5 km. Kind staff. Well decorated. Breakfest is not so nice but still a very good hotel choice. Great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed 2 nights here on an outing from a week in Budapest. we had read the reviews but they do not really prepare you. From the outside it seems quite normal but as soon as you walk inside the atmosphere grabs you. We arrived quite early in the day and Norbert was happy to check us in early, we were offered a choice of two rooms... we went with Venice. No problems with the room, coffee on tap all day, great breakfast and well situated for the lake and the town. Used the whirlpool and sauna both nights, nice and relaxing. The only down side was we dare not go in the pool, freeeeezing! A recommended place to stay.

Room Tip: Arrive early and you may be given a choice of rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We knew about this hotel before and my wife loved the pictures on the Internet. It happened that we were without accommodation on Siofok on the last night of our honeymoon and we simply walked in to Janus and rented a room. We paid around EUR 110 with VAT and tourist tax for a suite room.
The building itself was turned into a hotel about 15-20 years ago, so it is not new at all but very clean and elegant. Just like a wealthy lady in her 50's. The hotel is right next to a train station and the rails, but there is no noise from this at all. With an easy walk you can be in the beach or the shopping places of Siofok - which is a big bonus as no need to use our car.

The receptionist was a little less confident than expected, but he took us for a tour in the hotel and showed all the facilities. They have an inside pool and a jacuzzi hot tub in the basement (included in the room rates). Also, they have sunbed and massage (extra charge).

The breakfast was really full with lots of different treats and they even had some special items like the home made cottage cheese pie - we loved it. The breakfast staff is excellent here as well - they are serving with a smile. They have a Nespresso machine as well for the breakfast plus there is a different coffee machine in the lobby what you can use through the day free of charge.

Overall, we loved our stay in the Janus and would come back when in Siofok the next time.

Room Tip: They have really special theme suites, which are really worth trying. We were staying on the ground...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shabba S
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The BEST WESTERN Janus Atrium Hotel is located a few hundred meters from the Siófok train station. It is very easy to find, whether you're coming from the motorway or the main road to/from Budapest.

If you're used to anonymous hotels, forget everything you know when you open the hotel doors. The place is gorgeous, and has a very strong personality. Each room has its own design and atmosphere (India, Paris, USA, Japan, etc.) which makes you travel within your room.

My room was among the small ones - looks like a lot of other rooms (suites) were bigger. I didn't find this to be a problem, since I was travelling alone. But if you're travelling with someone, I would recommend to go for a suite instead of a regular room. The bathroom was a little bit small too, but again, not a problem for me.

Note that a few rooms are located along the rail tracks - mine wasn't. The staff seems aware that it can be an issue, so it seems like they do their best to first give the rooms that are the most quiet. I can't certify that though, that's only based on my personal impression. My room was as quiet as possible, I couldn't hear any noise from anywhere.

On the morning, breakfast is served between 8:00 and 10:00. It has a very, very large range of food and beverages. From one day to another, some of the food changed. I found this to be very good, compared to a regular anonymous "buffet", it would allow me to taste a lot of different products. It was definitely one of the best breakfasts I have ever had in a hotel.

The staff was perfect from the beginning until the end of my stay. I mostly came across Norbert, who was definitely the nicest staff member I have ever met in a hotel. Everyone was extremely polite, available, and welcoming,

Everything went so well during my stay (I choose this hotel to make a break in the middle of a road trip) that I decided to stay one more night there on my way back. A very good experience !

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not along the rail tracks.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank fredericrich
Reviewed 4 May 2013

If you want be' surprised about The room, then book For a suite: you Wanna be surprised about The fantasy they used! There are many different room, ask to see them before booking. Very good breakfast with buffet.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

This is definitely different style of Best Western... The idea behind is actually nice and it involves a lot of effort: each room has a deifferent style: indian room, Audrey Hepburn room, etc. But they are soooo small (I barely fit in the bathroom) and they there is too much decoration, which makes it very crowded, kitsch even.
I had no time to explore the spa yet, maybe that makes up for it.
The hotel is 15 minutes walk from the lake Balaton, which is not suitable to what I would like, but I didn't make the reservation myself. Service was weak the evening we came, English was barely spoken. The next night the receptionist was ok.
Overall impression: I wouln't come here again...

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I stayed here for a few nights in Sept 2012. The room is what you can expect from a 3-star standard and pretty basic. It's similar to bed and breakfast, The hotel itself is near the railway station and the city centre.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo