“Average value-for-money by European Standards”

Civitas Boutique Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Sopron
Reviewed 16 July 2014

For a realistic impression of the rooms, you are advised to look at the professional photos you can find at Booking.com or Hotels.com or Agoda. I found them more reflective of what we found at the hotel. There you can also get an impression of what you will find for breakfast. But don't be mistaken by some of the pictures at Booking.com or Hotels.com depicting a cellar or court restaurant or a waiter holding hearty meals. Those are pictures taken at other facilities in Sopron's old town, which are owned by the same group but cannot be found at the same premises as Civitas hotel. However, the staff is friendly and helpful and they will be happy to give you directions should you want to experience some of the group's nearby other facilities, which are really highly recommendable if you like good quality and hearty meals with a bottle of good quality wine at very affordable prices. I can second some of the criticism of other reviewers (like that there were stains on the carpet) but we found no obvious flaws, which would adversely impact our stay. Overall it was comfortable and fully satisfactory. I would choose to stay there again if I go back to Sopron.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank C073

Reviewed 4 October 2012

This is a real gem, walking distance to most attractions, modern amenities, which is rare in a historical place, staff is friendly and even has an underground garage. Town itself and surrounding area is worth even for an extended visit, catering for almost everyone, from historical buffs to nature lovers. However, I would not use "boutique" in the hotel's name.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank csibi
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I won't say this hotel is bad, because it isn't, but hey, the term "boutique" has been misused quite a lot lately, hasn't it?

This hotel is nor nice or lame, it simply is plain. The room was OK, we booked a cuadruple (family room as they call it), with one main bedroom with a baby bed, another separate smaller bedroom and a toilet. A mini LCD TV on the wall and unispiring furniture. Reception is mini as well, and the hotel lacks a common area.

The worst part though, is not that they're lying to you by calling it "boutique", it is the staff. When we arrived, my elderly parents, my pregnant sister, my baby niece and I, were kept waiting, standing for 10 to 15 minutes (not even a chair fits in the reception area!) while the receptionist kindly answered a phone call he received while he was checking us in. He was speaking Hungarian, but I suspect he explained that person what each and every room was like. That phone call was just ENDLESS, and was obviously just an enquiry, nothing too important. So... first of all, management should teach staff how to prioritise their tasks. 5 tired human beings in front of you maybe deserve a little bit more of attention than somebody calling from the comfort fo their home...
Secondly, they should teach their staff how to charge using a POS. On check out, we asked how much was it in euros and in Florints and of course it was cheper in the local currency. So I decided to pay by card. After two receptionists tried to make the POS work without any success I gave up and decided to pay cash in euros, as I didn't have enough florints. Although they weren't able to charge me in their own currency and forced me to pay in mine, and even if I draw their attention to the fact that because of that I was paying more, they just shrugged their shoulders like, c'est la vie! What you would expect from a "boutique" hotel, is that you pay the equivalent in euros, not a ridiculously overpriced rate and that they apologize in the process.

Oh, and breakfast was lame! it was buffet style, but very limited. Location is good, but Sopron is little more than a village so you can't really get too far from the centre of town. By Hungarian standards, I wouldn't even say it's good value for money, as €75 per night is not cheap for such a hotel.

A flavourless hotel with improvised staff and depressing breakfast - this must be the new definition of "boutique", then. Oh, by the way, have I told you I'm Mickey Mouse?!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MadridWings
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Well, i have different thoughts when i think about a boutique hotel. Civitas is not a boutique hotel, but overall i would recommend it to others if they want to spend a few nights in Sopron.
The hotel itself is in the downtown, close to main attraction. It was a clean, neat hotel. The staff was friendly, helped in any inquiries what we had during our stay. Breakfast was okay, however i have had better in my lifes :). The only negative is the pillow. It was very uncomfortable and the street is noisy in the morning.
Dog friendly hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brigi N
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This hotel is a far cry from the boutique hotels you find in Europe. The Reception staff's manner vary greatly in welcoming you. Correpondence and inquiry prior to rental seemed competent and friendly. But when we arrived at 12:4 we were greeted by a well-dressed, good-looking but aloof young lady. She denied us early entrance to our rooms, denied me the use of a toilet, repeating that access to the room is at 14:00hrs. She pointed an empty open space behind her for us to leave our cases, saying they were secure since she herself would be there watching over them. In this empty space, large enough to eventually be used as a lounge or waiting room, occasionally staff shoes and other personal belongings were in full view...We left for a café nearby. Once we had come back in the afternoon, my friend was assigned a stiflingly small room which had the large bed she had asked for, albeit squeezed to the wall with hardly any space to move around it. We reserved unseen through Internet; were quoted 12,000HUF for our rooms per night (double bed with single occupant). I clearly had the impression that my friend got a 9,000HUF room and paid more than necessary. I found an equally small room initially assigned to me, but after having asked that the batroom be cleaned, I got a much better and bigger room. (in the initial room the toilet seat had urine on it splashed all-around on the seat, on the seat cover above, with some drops on the floor. The water ran non-stop in the bowl). Once I went into my better room, I proceeded to scrub the toilet seat, no longer trusting it. It would seem then, that rooms are not inspected prior to rental. The entire hotel is a far cry from a boutique hotel. It has no atmosphere; the pretentiousness (being available only at 14:00) is uncommon - surely, with an 11 o'clock departure, some rooms were available by 12:45. The hotel has no atmoshphere, it seems to be an unfinished facility. For instance, there is no minibar in the room in the furniture designed to accommodate it, there is not a picture or decoration of any kind on the walls. The breakfast is a very ordinary affair with scrambled eggs dried out by 8 a.m., cheap cold cuts and not much fruit. This facility is fairly new, it is ideally located however a few steps from the historical old-town. It is fairly new. It would deserve a caring owner, a caring management and the necessary improvements such as a waiting room and a bathroom at ground level, decoration and staff training - where is Hungarian graciousness?- to make anyone wish to return.As it is, this hotel has no redeeming feature beyond its location and price and it most certainly does not deserve the boutique name.

Room Tip: I cannot think of a tip on how to choose a good room other than actually being there, visiting sever...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank rivieraOttawa
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Stayed for three night with family. The hotel is a new one, well decorated rooms with a very good central location. You should still consider this as a budget hotel instead of a boutique hotel. Overall using 'boutique' for this hotel might be quite misleading. The issues we had was: very thin walls, small bahroom, dirty carpets and ceiling... Parking is also an issue, while number of parking places for the hoel (fee is extra) is limited. Wifi signal might be weak in some rooms, but they have wired intenet as well free of charge and they also provide cable upon request. A big plus was that you can make absolute dark in the room, which is good for families travelling with smaller kids.

Room Tip: Go for a room facing the internal court-yard. It is very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2010

A simple, stylish and clean hotel at the heart of Sopron.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business