“affordable price in ever green environment”
Review of Hotel Lover

Hotel Lover
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Sopron
Ashford, United Kingdom
“affordable price in ever green environment”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed in the hotel with my partner for a week. One of my best friends had her wedding breakfast here. Amazing and such a helpful and kind staff. The room was very clean and tidy also quite spacious. The hotel is in the woods, how amazing is that. The hotel offers spa and swimming pool facilities and also a free entry to the nearby 33m long swimming pool. The food is just delicious, great selection of cereal, fruit, vegetable, bread etc. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: definitely one with a balcony :)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
RobertSandorfi, General Manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Guest!

Thanks for choosing our hotel and especially for taking your time for the kind review, we really appreciate you are telling the world about your positive experience. We look forward to seeing you here again!

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I spent 5 days with my family (wife and 1,5 year-old-daughter) in this hotel. The location is excellent. The Lőver forest and mountains are at the door and great point to visit Sopron, Fertő lake and Austria. Great, and clear air, a good basis to do some trip into the forest!

The staffs are very helpful and nice, all of them. At the reception they gave us the bigger room, because we arrived with the small child.
The food was delicious but for 5 days was a bit boring.
The wellness (SPA) not so serious, but we have everything what we need: pool, sauna's, jacuzzi, fitness room etc.

The all places of the hotel are clean! But the building need a big renovation (face-shift) outside and inside as well.

I just can recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: All room have window for the forest!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pepe d
RobertSandorfi, General Manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Pepe d,

Thanks for the review, we appreciate your effort to have shared your remarks with us. We are pleased to read you really enjoyed staying at the Lövér. Thank you also for points you referred to as necessary to improve, and especially for those highlighting the natural values and our staff. We are looking forward to seeing you soon again at the Lövér!

Woodchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We arrived at the Hotel Lover with some trepidation having read other reviews. But we needn't have worried...yes, the hotel is old fashioned and a little dated but this is more than made up for by the service, the ambience, the huge rooms, the hotel's location and its quirkiness. In fact, many would happily pay extra for "retro" in these days of characterless Best Westerns, Novotels etc.

A comprehensive hotel service menu in the room (in English) showed that you could get shoehorns, sledges and slippers from reception if you want! There is even a selection of bikes on the first floor landing that you can use! The food was good, the restaurant service was flawless, the beds comfy and the hotel in general was spotlessly clean. WiFi is only available in the lobby, not the rooms, but this is no hardship as the lobby is the best place to hang out.

For a hotel with a difference give Hotel Lover a try - you won't regret it!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
RobertSandorfi, General Manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear Hillybilly444,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at our hotel. It was really nice to read your positive comments on our staff, services and cleanliness. This is for us a true confirmation of the fact that though the hotel may not be in an immaculately fresh physical state, there are other important aspects such as those you also pointed out. We keep striving to maintain and improve the level and the spectrum services, but, of course, refurbishment is not forgotten, either... We hope to see you next time at the Lövér!

Brds, Robert Sandorfi, GM
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

The area is very nice, fantastic air. The hotel seems not to be renovated in the last 15-20 years, but still was clean. At the breaksfast the restaurant was full, it was difficult to find a table.
An outdoor swimmingpool would be nice.
Beside this I can recomend.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nadin S
Reviewed 29 July 2012

There seems to be something rather "dodgy" about Danubius as a Hotel company.
The Margitziget Thermal Spa Hotel would get a similar review to the one I am about to give Hotel Lover.

First off... A totally ugly building!! Reminded me more of the old tat-stalls in the Budapest flea market.
Having come from a Hilton in Krakow, Poland this hotel is a total let-down.

4 STARS?!!!!

I THINK NOT!

When I arrived I had just completed a 6 hour drive from Poland... As mentioned above... And was thrilled by the idea of a nice meal... Only to be presented with day-old drying pasta and schnitzel with heaven-only-knows meat inside... There are no English signs anywhere!! For the fussy eating or plain 'warey' eaters amongst us this is a bad start... And asking the so-called staff to help is another bad idea... NOBODY IN THIS HOTEL SPEAKS ENGLISH.. except for a helpful young lad in reception who appears to be the rest of the staffs translator... Which i can only assume becomes a bore at the best of times.

Calling room-service for a simple latte is another chore... only to be told by a pathetic.voice down the other end that they dont speak or understand English!!

And as for the Pool and Spa aspect... Ask yourselves this... "what do I do in a middle-of-nowhere town when my so-called "spa" hotel shuts its pool at 8pm in the evening?!"
The options are... Going to a Tesco store only to get lost in Soprons maze of confusing roads...
Laying in the room watching pointless TV...
Joining the hoards of families in the "car-boot sale" of a buffet... But then its built into the price of the room so you can see why...
Or taking a walk around the local area... Google Map it... There is nothing!!!

The decor...
1. The Bathrooms... Old... Tatty... The showerheads are full of black scum... Why, they look so dated they could be original Soviet features...
2. The rooms... Basic... Damp-smelling... The matresses are nothing more than wire-framed sponges...

All-in-all I will conclude... My opinions may be harsh... Even bordering on the cruel but when the Danubius Hotels group claim that these terrible hotels are 4 stars it makes me wonder who they are bribing.
Hilton and Intercontinnental are advertising 4 star rooms of complete and total comfort and for the same rating at a Danubius Hotel you are given nothing more than a 2 star room and 1 star service...

Please please please dont take Danubius at there word of 4 stars... This is the very last time I will ever step.foot in one of there hotels as they ruin what would have been a perfect holiday.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank SIGN0theTIMES
BiosportLover, General Manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Sign0theTimes,

Thank you for your review of the Hotel Lövér, I appreciate you have taken the effort to give a full report on your recent stay. First of all, I must apologize for the communication problems. This is an area domained by German as foreign language, but there is at least a few colleagues in every shift speaking English. However, all written information is available in the house in English. I am also sorry you had expected a longer opening time of the swimming pool. I must add, however, we are no "spa hotel", we have never been one, and we have never communicated being one. (If you have an information source suggesting anything in variance to this, please tell me.) I am also sorry you found the place boring, nevertheless Sopron and the surroundings offer an amazing variety of places to see and things to do. Let me add that we have recently been classified as 4-star hotel in the Hotelstars Union system, the most widely used hotel classification scheme in Europe. All in all, I am awfully sorry we did not live up to your expectations, I again apologize for any mistake we made and thank you again for your review.

Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Location is incredible - in the middle of the forest! You can drink that air - so fresh it is. It is really good to sleep there. I felt like I got back in Soviet times though. Furniture is pretty old but not broken (real wood by the way).Leaking water in the bathroom. I had a very old Philips radio built-in in bed table (had never seen it before!) - some 1960s probably! The atmosphere of a place and the interior is what we could see in Soviet resorts. Breakfast was very good. They claim to be a 4 star hotel. Well, maybe Hungarian stars or for the local place. But I would give 3 stars for location and breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
BiosportLover, General Manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Alla I,

I sincerely thank you for your review of the Hotel Lövér. The hotel opened in 1983 and was partially rebuilt and refurbished in 1999, so there may be some remaining touches of the past era. We have recently been successfully audited and classified as 4-star hotel in the Hotelstars Union, the most widely used hotel classification system in Europe. I am glad you liked the wonderful location and the breakfast. I hope to see you again in the Hotel Lövér and also to read your comments on TA!

Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The location is very nice, in the middle of a quiet forested area (the Lövér hills), away from the hustle & bustle of the city. And although the hotel is big, it doesn’t seem to be too noisy. Staff of the hotel is friendly & helpful and because of the proximity of Austria receptionists in the hotel and waiters in the nearby restaurants and shops of Sopron actually speak another language than the impossible to comprehend Hungarian. Mostly German of course. Apart from Budapest (certainly one of the more beautiful cities in Europe) where foreign tourists and city trippers are abundant, believe me, this is not at all to be taken for granted in Hungary. And than again, even in Budapest, trying to find for example a police officer or a cashier in a bank or a shop attendant who speaks any foreign language is often like trying to locate the proverbial bilingual needle in the Hungarian unilingual haystack.

OK, back to the Lövér hotel. Really, I think I would be more inclined to give an all in all more positive appraisal of this hotel if they wouldn’t announce themselves as being a 4star hotel! Really! In what parallel hotel universe would that be? The rooms are small (but clean). Bathroom is tiny (but also clean and functional). No AC in the rooms (in a country where temperatures routinely sore above 35°C for weeks). Not unlike the old city center of Sopron, the Lövér hotel is old and it shows it’s age more than a wee bit. A lot of the historical buildings in the city center are literally crumbling and in dire need of restoration (authorities: wake-up call!). Unfortunately, the hotel also could use a thorough makeover to bring it into the 21 century. And I don’t mean just a paintjob. I’m sorry to say but parts of the interior brought back memories to me of the hotels in Soviet era Eastern Europe.

Again, there’s nothing really horribly wrong with this hotel, it’s not like there’s tiles hanging loose from the ceiling, leaking faucets in the bathroom or clunking noises from the plumbing and I really wouldn’t hesitate staying here again, but the owners (Danubius Hotels Group) should get real: two stars, three tops (for the location and the staff). Honestly folks.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank peetersr
, General Manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Peetersr,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hotel Lövér, we really appreciate your time and effort to give an account on your experiences. Indeed, the building does not belong to the newest properties built in the past years, but we are striving to maintain the state of the hotel as much as possible. We have been recently undergoing the hotel classification audit, which we have passed with 4 stars, so we currently live up to all apprporiate standards. We are trying to remain strong on the service side, and I was pleased to read your relevant notes. I am glad you all in all enjoyed your stay and hope to see you next time at the Lövér!

GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sopron
Pannonia Hotel
#9 of 13 in Sopron
Seehotel Rust
Seehotel Rust
#1 of 6 in Rust

Been to Hotel Lover? Share your experiences!