“Very nice, very retro” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Sopron
Budapest, Hungary
“Very nice, very retro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My wife and myself wanted to stay for only four nights to relax a bit, but we ended up staying for a week. It's a simple hotel for a simple and relaxing time. If you're an average person like me and don't like the pomp and circumstance that surrounds other, more expensive hotels, then this is a great place for you. The staff are extremely helpful and eager to help, all you need to do is ask. Some would argue that they shouldn't even have to ask, but I find it more relaxing when I walk down a corridor and people don't try to help me constantly. If I would like something, I'd rather ask for it then have the staff watching me like vultures. The hotel is located on top of a mountain, so the view is excellent, and the nearby forest provides an excellent place to hike and relax. In the restaurant the choice is not excellent, but the meals are well prepared and tasty. The hotel spa isn't exactly large, but gets the job done on a hot summer's day. I would gladly recommend this hotel to you if you like a retro experience. The hotel looks more or less like it did back in the sixties, but most of the rooms are renovated. Wifi coverage and speed is excellent. Our bed, while on the more firm side, was very comfortable, and we slept excellently. The frame is also very sturdy and does not squeak, nor bang against the wall. Love this place and I'm sure we'll be going back this summer.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor have excellent views, and if you plan to smoke on the balcony, then I sug...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Hungarian first
  • Serbian first
Nagykovácsi, Pest, Hungary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

We spent 3 nights with my Family there. The Hotel is very retro style but the room were renovated. Room size is normal, but a bit inconvenient for 4 people. (2 adults and 2 small children). That's why the standard room was crowded with the extra bed plus the baby bed.
Receptionists and the other staff were kind and polite.
The food was quite simlpe. The restaurant was always full with people. We had to wait for free seats and table for a long minutes and stand in line for food also for a long minutes. The choice was a bit poor, so the last evening rather we went out to dinner to a restaurant.
We did not tried just only saw the welness, but is seemed to be a bit small one.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Gyomro, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I choosed this hotel because is in the middle of the forest, and gave me the possibility for short walks even in this very warm weather. I stayed two nights, the rooms are clean, the staff is nice, the restaureóant is excellent.

Room Tip: from the upper floors the view is better
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here during the VOLT festival and we are planning to come back and stay here again next year. It took about 15 minutes to walk to the festival which was a big advantage. First day we heard the music from the festival (it wasn't disturbing at all), but from the second day we could here nothing. The building itself requires renovation, however we room wasn't that bad. It was small, with a little bit narrow queen size bed. There was a sitting corner in a the room, a desk, tv, fridge. The bathroom was OK, but the shower head in our room was broken and it wasn't that comfortable to use it. We missed only the wireless internet and the airconditioning. WIFI is available only in the lobby area. The breakfast and the dinner were better than what we expected with many options. The dinner was served outside of the building next to the trees. We couldn't complain regarding the food. The wellness includes a small swimming pool, sauna, steam cabin and a jacuzzi where six people can sit together. There is an infra sauna as well, but it is not included in the base price. For the VOLT festival I recommend this hotel, however during the rest of the year I would rather choose the Hotel Fagus nearby.

Room Tip: We had a room which overlooked the roof of the restaurant, maybe the view from the rooms on the othe...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Debrecen, Hungary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

The so-called "classic" room (I would say "mediocre" room) needs strongly to be refurbished, but it is clean. We missed the internet in the room (they provide it only in the hall). It is OK if you leave in the morning and come back only for the night. The food in the hotel's restaurant is quite good, the staff is very helpful. Our room overlooked the ugly roof of the restaurant, I would recommend to ask a room on the other side of the hotel. About 10 minutes far (by bus) from the city-centre, the environment is wonderful. We were dissapointed that they do not have any program (e.g. outdoor gymnastics, nordic walking, organized tours, one day or half day trips etc.).

Room Tip: Don't accept room overlooking the restaurant roof.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Sopron hotels

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

I spent only one night in the hotel. My room was not modern, the furnishing was quite old, it is visible that the hotel needs some renovation, but it was spotlessly clean and for one night it was comfortable enough, bathroom was also OK. Dinner and breakfast were surprisingly good. They serve traditional Hungarian food, and rich buffet breakfast. Staff members are attentive, kind, I think they are the most valuable assets of this hotel. I did not have time to try the spa facilities, but they looked quite nice too. Next time I have a business meeting in the area, I will return to this hotel for the great service and great food.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank tomtomcat1970
Budapest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

It felt like a travel back to the eighties. Room, food was all mediocre at best. It seemed like that the management made some efforts to modernize the place but with no budget they ended up with some very cheap looking result. Our room overlooked the roof of the restaurant and spa wing. Beds were not too comfortable either, squeaked for the slightest movement. There was no water pressure on the fourth floor.
Breakfast had reasonable selection of poor quality food. Lunch, dinner ditto.
On the other hand staff was friendly and helpful, room was clean and the hotel’s surroundings were really nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family