“Interesting place - river, city centre”
Review of Garden Hotel

Garden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Szolnok
wroclaw
“Interesting place - river, city centre”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Small city, but hotel very very good. Good location - near to city, river, lovely bridge, interesting monuments, but in silent area.
Good facilities, food, big parking and place for relax - for me all to rest after business day.
Difficult ti say more - I just slept one night - but before I made 6 km on foot around hotel

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed here with my parents for five days between 23rd August and 27th August 2012.

Our stay was a mixed bag, frankly. Straight from when we got there it was poor: my mother asked for a room that was quiet, and they put us near the lift. Thankfully, we were allowed to move rooms, but our room was pretty average.

We thought that we at least had dinner to look forward to. The first night in the restaurant was OK for me, however my mother's brocolli was frozen, and when my father and I ordered a chocolate souffle, it wasn't pleasant to find an attempted chocolate fondant.

We had breakfast there the next morning, which started off on the same note as dinner but got progressively worse, with dry cakes and mouldy fruit. Everything was just dumped on the counter and nothing looked particularly pretty.

However, we had a pleasant surprise the next day as the pool was lovely and clean and the jacuzzi would have been lovely to relax in if we'd had more time.

However, nothing was as bad as dinner that night. The waiter couldn't speak English, which was fair enough, but we didn't see that he and the chef were trying hard; it started with him serving me sugary Pepsi when I'd asked for Diet Pepsi- before a whole string of problems; my father's asparagus soup wasn't served with with everyone else's, vegetables weren't served to my mother and the food was generally horrible that night. My beef and noodles weren't cooked, my cottage cheese dumpling was served with bitter fruit compote and my mother's cheese and noodle pudding with bacon wasn't cooked properly. But what was worst is that we gave the waiter a list in Hungarian stating my mother's allergies, which included tomatoes, and they were served as a garnish! But then, he just took them off leaving a trace! Thankfully, her meal was cooked again, but still without vegetables. We opted not to eat there again, but we ended up paying more for food as they wouldn't give us a full refund.

So overall, it wasn't a great stay but we'll learn from it.

• Stayed August 2012
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Its an Ok hotel for the price.I guess around 13K Forint. The Wi-fi sucks big time. They have a good restaurant plus a bar which is open until midnight. The front office staff is very helpful. The rooms though small have balconies. Negative.. Jsut a bit on the outskirts.. but very close to Cora hypermarket

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Coventry
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We stayed at the Garden Hotel for our sons wedding in June - the staff are very helpful & friendly. The hotel is lovely & clean & modern.

The spa is a must!!

Food - amazing!!! - portions large compared to our usual Brit portions.

Local area of Szolnok is lovely (along the river is very pretty). We were given a tour by our sons new Hungarian family who made us very very welcome.

Hungary was never a place we would have thought of for a break as we a beach fiends normally...but we can highly recommend you visit (lot more to the country than just Budapest)!!

We will return soon to see a lot more!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Peaches55
Stuttgart
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I have stayed in possibly 80% of all hotels in Szolnok town, and have concluded that the Garden hotel in the best in the area.

It's location is perfect for those who wish to relax in the evenings, close to a beautiful park and the Tizsa river, it also boasts a beautiful setting if you wish to have a run in the evening.

There is not much through traffic, so generally road noises are quiet, this could change however, as I believe that they are building a bridge over the river tisza to the adjoining road that the hotel is on. However, i am looking forward to this, as when it is built it will be a quicker walk into Szolnok town.

The town of Szolnok is only about a 20 minute walk away (3 mins by car) and if you choose to venture out for the evening to dine - there is much choice.

However, this does not mean that the restaurant in the hotel should be ignored, by far they jave the best service, and best food in the area, the staff are caring, and the food is delicious!

Front of house staff are also friendly and will help you in all matters. Onsite laundry facilites are available and will eb organised for you, with the only downfall is that you cannot have an iron to use for yourself in the room.

The wellness facilites are well equipped and relaxing, the swimming pool and jacuzzi are very clean and the wellness staff are also very helpful. The gym/cardio equipment is very basic, it only has 2 bikes / 2 treadmills & 2 crosstrainers, and accompanied by loose weights. Great for a basic workout - as it tends not to be quite as busy as the pool.

Unfortunately, there is no water fountain in the wellness area, so in order to keep refershed during your workout, you either take water in yourself or you must purchase water from the wellness staff - and this water bottle is too small!!!
I must put a water fountain into the suggestion box next time i am there.

If you are wishing to stay in Szolnok, and you are lookign for a place that is slightly outside of the city - but still yet in walking distance ... this is the one.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank nsm1982
Also consider these accommodations in or near Szolnok
Hozam Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tiszakecske
Hotel  Sohaz
Hotel Sohaz
#1 of 3 in Szolnok

Been to Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!