“A HOTEL AND STAFF THAT TRUELY DESERVE THE 5 STARS”

Tulip House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Bratislava
Newbury, United Kingdom
“A HOTEL AND STAFF THAT TRUELY DESERVE THE 5 STARS”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

From the moment I arrived to the moment I left the service from all staff was nothing less than 1st class. Everything about the hotel was better than most 4 and 5 stars I have stayed in back in the UK. During my stay I was taken ill (nothing to do with the hotel or food). Eventually I had to go hospital on my last night; I was escorted by one of the Bellboy’s, Brano, who stayed with me and acted as a translator until I was discharged at 02:30, I think he was supposed to finish his shift at 23:30. The reception staff that were on shift around this time were most helpful and showed genuine concern for my wellbeing. If I ever have reason to visit Bratislava or surrounding area again the Tulip House is the only place I would consider staying

Room Tip: I stayed in on the Penthouse suites, excellent room no noise whatsoever.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 August 2011

In the past year, I have stayed at at least 20 different hotels and I can say without hesitation that this is by far the best hotel I have had the pleasure to stay at and I highly recommend it.

Based on value, I booked the Executive Suite at the last minute through the hotel's website and received a tremendous deal that included a free bottle of wine (Which was top-quality). Aesthetically, the hotel is clean, contemporary, and comfortable. The room was perfectly cleaned and functional with all the amenities you would expect and more. The bed was perfectly comfortable and the rooms came with a set of extra blankets and pillows. The bathroom was spacious and clean, with an enormous bathtub and shower, and a good quality hairdryer.

The rooms have internet cables and there is wireless in all public areas. I brought my iPhone with me and expected to just check my emails in the lobby, but the hotel receptionist a wireless router noted my predicament and arranged to have a wireless router placed in my room. The hotel staff are very thoughtful and friendly, and they made me and my significant other feel perfectly at ease.

The hotel restaurant is top-of-the line and was the best meal I've had in ages. The baked chocolate dessert is my new favorite and I highly recommend it.

I discovered that I have extended family in Slovakia but I only had an old address and, to top it off, I do not speak the language. The hotel receptionist offered to helped me look up their phone number, called them and translated effortlessly, and helped me arrange my journey to meet them.

I will make any excuse to go back to Bratislava simply to stay at this hotel. I was blown away with the quality of service and can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Kosice, Slovakia
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Very good service, spacious rooms and good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Barbados
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Great Hotel, in the city center, staff from the door man to reception really nice, the restaurant needs a Michelin star, its first class and the service is perfect. The rooms are fresh, new and very large, and great service. The breakfast is one of the best.

Room Tip: The hotel is a charming old House/Palace which has been converted with love and care we had two room...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Glasgow,
Reviewed 15 July 2011

This is a difficult review to write because the Tulip House was without doubt one of the best hotels my wife and I have ever stayed in and we have both been fortunate enough to stay in some crackers over the years.

The problem was that my car was parked right outside the hotel in one of the hotel's own parking places and was vandalised during our 4 day stay. The police were called and were very nice but the truth was that despite the hotel having CCTV coverage the police felt it would be very difficult to try and apprehend anyone for it.

It partly ruined what had until then been a superlative stay. My wife and I arrived in Bratislava after three days in a very expensive, surly and less than customer friendly Prague so Bratislava was a nice surprise once we started looking around.

The rooms at Tulip House are superb, the staff are excellent and whoever trains them deserves a huge amount of praise because they are a credit to the hotel and the management.

The city is excellent value for money, beautiful to look at but you never feel that you are being ripped off whereas in Prague you were left with that "ripped-off" feeling all the time.

The breakfast at Tulip House was served each day by attentive and friendly waiting staff and was as good a breakfast buffet as you will get anywhere and in the evening the downstairs restaurant was very very good too, again with great food and great staff.

However the location is maybe leaving a bit to be desired and certainly the damage done to my car which will be over €200.00 to fix is a little bit of a kick in the teeth and despite profuse and sincere apologies from the staff there was little anyone could or would do about it.

A wonderful stay ruined by the vandalism to my vehicle and although I would recommend Tulip House to anyone given its quality I have to say that it is unlikely I will ever return to Bratislava- once bitten, twice shy which is a shame because it is a beautiful little gem of a city but it won't get me back after what happened to me.

Room Tip: All the rooms ares uite style with kitchens and they are very good
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
tuliphotel, General Manager at Tulip House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am really happy to hear that you have been satisfied with quality of the service and hotel itself. On the other side I feel very sorry about the car issue. I can imagine that stealing of the car emblem at the end of your stay made the final impression of Bratislava city not very positive. At the moment we are renting those car spaces in front of the hotel from Bratislava city. In the past there have not been any problems with vandalism. Sturova Street is usually very quiet street. Currently we are working on the new, safe parking place for our guests, which will be ready very soon. I am sure that our guests will find it comfortable and safe.
Kind regards,
Lucia Menharova
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This review is long overdue. The Tulip House is a gorgeous, spotless hotel in a superb location. They made us feel so special!

My husband and I arrived at the Tulip House in the morning to drop off our bags, long before check-in time, and they greeted us with sincere warmth and prepared our room right away. When I said that I realized we were early and that we just wanted to drop off our bags, they said "but you have just been traveling, and you must be tired, and so give us a few minutes and we will take you to your room." They diverted the whole cleaning staff to our suite, and 15 minutes later, cheerful Oto carried our bags and brought us to our room (and he refused a tip for carrying the bags). We asked Oto where to go to get good traditional food (not fancy or pretentious, we were looking for the "real deal"), and he sent us to the Slovak Pub and the Pilsner Restaurant. Both were fantastic and fun. We probably would have found the Slovak Pub on our own because it was in our guidebook and on chowhound.com, but we probably wouldn't have found the Pilsner Restaurant, which would have been a shame because we are still talking about the garlic soup and ready to go back!

The room was pristine (and I am, in generally, totally grossed out by hotels, and consider them a necessary evil). The room was enormous, and the bed was comfortable. The decor was beautiful, and we heard no noise from the outside. They had a fun bar, and we brought champagne up to our suite one night.

Upon checkout, we were so sad to go. And as we were walking to the light rail stop to take us to the train station, Oto (the bell hop mentioned earlier) came running after us (literally) down the street, as we had left our receipt on the reception desk. He wanted to make sure we did not leave without it. What service!

We've stayed in countless hotels in Europe, and the Tulip House is, by a wide margin, the best.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We booked at Tulip House after reading the Tripadvisor reports.
Like other reviewers, we very much enjoyed the hotel's central location, its immaculate decoration, spacious siute and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. We loved the decor - brand new, modernly styled suite. We had the corner suite deluxe with a wonderful balcony overlooking the street - suitable for smoker as this hotel is for non smokers. The suite was also kept spotlessly clean.
The brekfast was yummy and the cappuccino coffee was delicious; a great way to begin the day! They offered many suggestions of places to visit. We totally enjoyed our stay and loved the town of Bratislava.
Whenever we would visit Bratislava again, we would certainly go back to this hotel.
"It is fabulous place to stay!"

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends