“Good location and great value, pretty basic though.”
Review of Hyde Park Hostel

and 1 more site!
Hyde Park Hostel
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The good:
Location - just 5 minute walk from Old Town, and across the street from Slovak Pub which is great.
Friendly staff - The couple who run it are very nice.
Value - we had booked for four people, being 2 adults and 2 under 7s. It was booked as a quadruple room but he changed it to a triple room knocking €18 off what was already a pretty good deal.

The bad:
Bedding - you have to make your own bed, including putting duvet in duvet cover and pillows into pillow cases. This was my first time in a hostel, so not sure if this is common, but when I go on holiday I don't expect to have to make the bed. Also the beds, whilst not terrible, are not very comfortable either.
Shower - The water pressure and temperature were great, but the shower glass was very streaky and looked as though it hadn't been cleaned for a while.

Other:
I notice other reviews saying it was loud, we had no issues with noise, although our room also did not face the street.
No breakfast, but a McDonalds and a bakery across the street. If there on a Sunday, there is a bakery 5 minute walk at entrance to old town open at 8am.
I would stay again if it was far and away the best deal, but the bedding and shower glass would make me look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bfg24

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I liked it so much! I wouldn't have said it was a hostel, it was much better than many budget hotels where I've been. A simple place, nothing luxurious, but there's everything you need. My room was big enough for a solo traveler, full of light, with tv, kettle, clothes-strand and a little wardrobe. Furniture was basic, but new and the whole place looked recently repainted. The private bathroom was big, featuring a shower, with shower box, working really fine. Everything was perfectly clean and in order. I have to say that, for the very first time, the hostel was betteer in the reality than on the pictures on the booking site I used for my reservation. The owner is the best! A very nice man, who makes you feel welcome since the first moment there and gives you a lot of infos on the town. Very good position, too, right into the pedestrian area of Bratislava, on a street full of shops and places to eat. The city centre is something like 7-8 minutes by foot. I had a perfect stay over there, I would come back any time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed here for two nights in July. Ivor the manager is a lovely , friendly person. Room was massive - had 5 beds for the 3 of us. Pretty basic accomodation though. Towels and bedding had seen better days. Shower leaked all over floor. However huge tv and kettle, cups and bowls available. No cooking facilities but there was a microwave. One thing that did worry me was the door to our room looked as though it had been kicked in at some point. Wifi came and went which was not great as we needed this to plan our next part of journey. Hostel situated within short walk to old town and there are some good bars nearby by.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I stayed here last week for four nights with a colleague, with who I had to work in a school in Bratislava. My room was all in all very good, had enough space for me, the bed was a bit short, but still comfortable enough for me. There was also a shower in my room, as well as a TV. The wifi-connection normally worked quite well, except for one day. My colleague did not have internet in her room, so she came quite often to my room. Igor, the owner of the hostel, was very helpful in answering questions - whatever you wanted to know, he could answer!
Breakfast was not included, but there was a bakery nearby where we coul have breakfast. The location was both good and bad: The center was really close, the tram had a direct connection to the school, so the ways were really short. But in the evening, there was such a noise on the street, both of people celebrating and of the tramway. So if you really want to catch some sleep (what I wanted, because I had to work), don't go to Hyde Park Hostel without earplugs! If you have earplugs, you will be able to sleep. I can recommend Hyde Park Hostel!

Room Tip: Better get a room which is not situated to the street!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Friendly place. Igor went out of his way to make me feel at home. Modern, clean spacious rooms.

Location is both good and bad. If you're in a room facing onto the street, you're unlikely to get much sleep because of noise made by people coming and going from the pubs/restaurants on Obchodna until very, very late. By the time these places have closed, morning trams are already running right outside your window. If you manage to get any sleep at all, it'll be fitful at best unless you've got good earplugs.

Otherwise, location couldn't be better. Very close to the city centre/ old town with a good selection of trams stopping directly outside the front door.

All things considered, this place represents great value for money, especially in a city which doesn't seem to have much in the way of budget accommodation for solo travellers.

Room Tip: "Try and get a room off the street."
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This war really a good option to stay in Bratislava. Location was perfect and room was really nice and clean. We had a double room towards the courtyard, so it was real quiet as well.
Use of fridge and water kettle + cups/plates in the room made it handy.
Nearby (across the street from Slovak Pub) very nice pubs / restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed here for 1 night, and were really suprised with how good it was! The location is great, near to the centre and everything you will want to visit, and there are plenty of shops and restaurants on the same street. The room itself was big, clean and had a nice bathroom. The guy who checked us in, Igor, was so helpful, he gave us maps, showed us where all the attractions were, and gave us good advice on how to get to the bus station etc. The only downside was that our room was on the front of the building, and the trams were so loud! This isn't the hostel's fault obviously, but if we had been staying longer i think we would have asked for a room at the back of the building as the trams run quite late and start pretty early! This place is such good value for money, I would recommend if for sure,

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple