“Great value!”
Review of Hyde Park Hostel

and 1 more site!
Hyde Park Hostel
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Very very cheap with an excellent location, but it was still quiet at night which was good. The owner was very kind and we had lots of room, with a very large bathroom! Although we had a fan, the room did get very hot. The place downstairs in the courtyard was great for food and really cheap - you could choose a variety of pastas and pizzas made to your own specifications.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PJA186356

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed for two nights and I must say the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming.

Really well located only a few minutes from the old town. I stayed in a single room which was well kept, clean and thankfully had a fan as it was approx 30°C! The Old Slovak Pub is just opposite, and handily located if you fancy a few beers in the evening, and just want a short walk home. I'd recommend a stay to anybody, budget or not.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank CTRDM
Reviewed 11 February 2014

great value, nice rooms, forget about wifi because it is open for everyone, so everyone in the center can connect to it, which makes it impossible to use, litteraly impossible.
the staff are friendly and the prices are fair. very central and ok rooms. still need some improvment but it is alright as it is now too

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Al C
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hostel is on the main shopping street with quite a few restaraunts, bars and supermarkets nearby. The owner gave me a choice of rooms a large room at the front or a smaller one at the back. I chose the smaller one because the front rooms overlook the trams which start very early and I wanted quiet. The room was nice and clean with a comfortable if slightly hard bed and TV with two English channels. The en suite shower room was really clean. The shower took maybe 90 seconds to get hot but then it was really hot. There is a handy fridge and microwave in the hallway for guests to use. The owner is very helpful and friendly and gave me a good map and a breakdown of where I was in relation to the rest of the city. The entire city is walkable from here and as the trams stop directly outside public transport is another option.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are smaller but also quiter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The good:
Location - just 5 minute walk from Old Town, and across the street from Slovak Pub which is great.
Friendly staff - The couple who run it are very nice.
Value - we had booked for four people, being 2 adults and 2 under 7s. It was booked as a quadruple room but he changed it to a triple room knocking €18 off what was already a pretty good deal.

The bad:
Bedding - you have to make your own bed, including putting duvet in duvet cover and pillows into pillow cases. This was my first time in a hostel, so not sure if this is common, but when I go on holiday I don't expect to have to make the bed. Also the beds, whilst not terrible, are not very comfortable either.
Shower - The water pressure and temperature were great, but the shower glass was very streaky and looked as though it hadn't been cleaned for a while.

Other:
I notice other reviews saying it was loud, we had no issues with noise, although our room also did not face the street.
No breakfast, but a McDonalds and a bakery across the street. If there on a Sunday, there is a bakery 5 minute walk at entrance to old town open at 8am.
I would stay again if it was far and away the best deal, but the bedding and shower glass would make me look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bfg24
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I liked it so much! I wouldn't have said it was a hostel, it was much better than many budget hotels where I've been. A simple place, nothing luxurious, but there's everything you need. My room was big enough for a solo traveler, full of light, with tv, kettle, clothes-strand and a little wardrobe. Furniture was basic, but new and the whole place looked recently repainted. The private bathroom was big, featuring a shower, with shower box, working really fine. Everything was perfectly clean and in order. I have to say that, for the very first time, the hostel was betteer in the reality than on the pictures on the booking site I used for my reservation. The owner is the best! A very nice man, who makes you feel welcome since the first moment there and gives you a lot of infos on the town. Very good position, too, right into the pedestrian area of Bratislava, on a street full of shops and places to eat. The city centre is something like 7-8 minutes by foot. I had a perfect stay over there, I would come back any time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed here for two nights in July. Ivor the manager is a lovely , friendly person. Room was massive - had 5 beds for the 3 of us. Pretty basic accomodation though. Towels and bedding had seen better days. Shower leaked all over floor. However huge tv and kettle, cups and bowls available. No cooking facilities but there was a microwave. One thing that did worry me was the door to our room looked as though it had been kicked in at some point. Wifi came and went which was not great as we needed this to plan our next part of journey. Hostel situated within short walk to old town and there are some good bars nearby by.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family