“Excellant hotel in quiet area”
Review of Apollo Hotel

Apollo Hotel
Ranked #21 of 94 Hotels in Bratislava
Reviewed 16 January 2010

I booked this hotel for 2 nights and travelled with my partner and 18 month old daughter. I selected a room with mini-bar included and paid slightly extra for this, although I cannot confirm whether this is open to all guests regardless of whether you pay or not. We checked in during the early evening, and were given a card to gain access to our room, you also need this for the lift. The hotel appears to have been completely refurbished and I wasnt disappointed with the room. We walked around the local area on the first night, which has a handful of small restaurants and coffee shops, and found a lovely little family run restaurant, called Infinito (i think), which served homemade cooking and was extremely cheap. It is a little down the road from the bus station, set back off the road - I would highly recommend this. Breakfast in the hotel as great - full buffet breakfast. This hotel is mainly catered for business travellers, therefore please note this hotel is situated in the business district. However, all the sites I visited to book this hotel made out that it was only 0.1m from the city centre, which is rather misleading. The hotel didn;t provide a cot for my daughter (requested one on booking), but they had made up a bed for her. The hotel is about 20-30 minutes walk to the old town, where the majority of the bars, restaurants and tourist attractions are. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a high quality hotel at a low price, who dont mind being slightly away from the centre of town. I also would recommend taking the hour long train to Vienna, catch the 93 bus from near the Presidents palace to the train station. Tickets for the train were 11 euros each for a return ticket.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank McrTwinkletoes

Reviewed 25 April 2009

We stayed here for a couple of nights before travelling on to Vienna. All the staff we met spoke English and were very helpful. There was plenty of choice at the breakfast buffet and the FREE minibar was a nice surprise! In the leisure complex they have a salt cave - very relaxing and especially good for you if you have asthma - definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2009

Hotel Appolo Dukla
Date: 6th Feb 2008, Bangalore, India (Passport # F2745619)
I am sorry to post this so late. But I can't stop myself from posting the story I experienced about the luxury and comfort at Hotel Appolo Dukla. It helped my business emmensly. I was in Hotel Dukla for the 2nd time from 18th May 08 onwards for about 48 nights. The room are very elegantly designed, spacious, equipped with all amenities and provide relaxing ambeiance for one's business. Smoking rooms available on request. Just 10 mins walk from city centre and located centrally from Airport, Bratislava Hlava (railway station) and next door to the international Bus station , it has got everything for a easy transportation need. Taxi stand is at the gate of the hotel. The hotel reception staff always carry a great smile and ever ready to assist, even at late night if you need urgent first aid. It has got a very good restaurant on the theme of wild life and super express room service too. I use to travel to Lozorno 35 miles from Bratislava daily to my work-business and this hotel always welcome me with comfort and relief at the end of the day. The tariff is 130Euros/night and provides discounts for longer stays. I wish all success to this hotel.

1  Thank himansumalla
Reviewed 29 November 2008

I stayed here for 5 nights in early September. There was a heatwave in Bratislava, so the effective air-conditioning in my room was very welcome.

The hotel is a 25 minute walk (or short taxi ride - but they are expensive) from the city centre. A taxi is pretty essential if you are coming here from or going back to the airport.

The hotel doesn't look up to much from the outside, but the picture quickly improves once inside. I found the reception staff helpful and friendly.

My room was reasonably spacious and quite well-furnished. The mini-bar, with a free bottle of beer and free bottle of wine, and soft-drinks, all re-stocked each day, is a nice touch.

The restaurant has a nice feel to it. I didn't eat here in the evenings, but the menu looked good. Breakfast was more than adequate, with a pretty good selection.

The leisure facilities are good, too, the salt cave being especially interesting. Some of the facilities are complimentary, some are charged-for, but the costs are very reasonable for the sauna and various therapies, etc.

Free internet access is available in the reception area - where you can also print items for free - and also in the guest-rooms either by cable or wireless, and the speed / signal are fine.

I thought the hotel was very clean and the maid-service was very thorough but discreet.

I had been in Bratislava 3 years earlier, and thought it was like a 'poor-man's Prague'. Now, it has really upped its game and has a really good look of it. There is plenty to do here, and it's not hard to get out into the country-side. The city is also generally good value, though the adoption of the Euro might change things.

This hotel is hard to categorise, its (walking) distance from the city centre is off-putting but, apart from that, t's 4 Star rating is about right and I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2008

I found this hotel to be really comfortable and the free minibar which got topped up daily was an added bonus. The breakfast was brilliant. You have the choice of hams and cheese and crossiants etc and alo scramled egg, poached bacon and sausage. The staff were very helpful. The only negative point I had was the location. Its not really city centre as advertised. It usually takes about 25 mins to walk or else 5 mins in taxi. Order a taxi through the hotel as the other taxi men would rip you off which really p**sed me off and would be one of thereasons I would not return. A trip to vienna is definately reccomended. Only €10 return.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2008

The hotel doesn't look much from the outside, although when we entered reception we were very pleased with what we saw. However we were slightly disappointed with the welcome we received from the staff as we were ignored by the receptionist and after about 5 mins of awkwardness i had to prompt her to check us in, she looked really put out by this!!

The room was on the 4th floor and was very spacious & clean. Included in the price was a free minibar which consisted of around 3 bottles each of beer, pepsi and water - i was very impressed by this. You also get little chocolates on your bedside table each day which i thought was a nice touch!

Although the hotel claims to be in the city centre we found this a bit of a trek, it took us 20-30mins to reach the historical part of the centre. People with mobility problems should probably take a taxi from the hotel which costs around 200sk (around £5 ). If you need a taxi back to the hotel, phone the hotel and ask them to send you one or arrange a return time in advance. We were ripped off getting back from the train station one day, it cost us over 600sk, nearly the double the amount it should have cost!

We found the breakfasts to be exceptional, there was a huge selection from sausages & eggs to cereals, breads,cheese & pancakes. We thought that was the best part of our stay!

We took a day trip to Vienna on our stay which i would highly recommend. We went by train which cost around £10 return but alternatively you can reach it by high speed ferry which is around £20. We also took a boat ride to Devin castle which cost around
150sk which was very enjoyable and passed a couple of hours.

There are a couple of really nice restaurants very close to the hotel, a Greek taverna and across from that an Italian restaurant, we ate in both places and was impressed with the food & the price.

Overall we had an enjoyable stay but i think if we were ever to come back we would probably stay somewhere a bit closer to the centre.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2008

I liked this hotel. When I arrived, I thought that the hotel looked pretty messy and appeared to be in an undesirable area. However, neither of my initial concerns turned out to be true.

The hotel interior is very nice and the rooms are clean, spacious and very comfortable. The mini bar is free which I thought was an excellent idea and one which more hotels should adopt. There is air conditioning and tea and coffee making facilities in the room and the bed was fine. The bathroom was nice, although my shower would not stay on the wall properly (minor point).

The hotel area is 20 minutes walk from the historic centre (or 200 local currency by taxi), and it has some nice bars and cafes close to the hotel. The bus station is also very close which is handy if you are planning some day trips.

Whilst the reception staff varied from being quite grumpy to very friendly, generally the staff were great. The breakfast was outstanding in a fairly grand dining area. There was free internet (without the need for tokens from reception etc) and I understood that there was free wireless access should you have your laptop with you.

On the whole, a pleasant experience. This is not a luxury hotel, nor is it right in the old town. I would however recommend you stay here if you can't afford the big prices towards town.

• Stayed: April 2008