“Incredible value for money of you can stomach the nesting pigeon on the balcony.”

A1 Hostel Bratislava
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Cleanliness: room was very clean, clean sheets and smelt fresh. Toilet was kept clean and fresh, but only 1 for 12 people so queues inevitable). Bathroom (also 1 for 12) was quite disgusting, a very locked drain so you were showering in 6 inches of water in the bath - not pleasant at all. And because so many people were using it, it smelt pretty funky. We did not use the kitchen but you would have wanted to wash up any of the crockery or pots and pans before using them. And on the balcony off the kitchen there was a nesting pigeon right in front of the open door, which they were feeding dog biscuits - absolutely revolting in my opinion, especially so close to the kitchen.

The location was perfect- a 5 minute walk from a huge tesco and walking distance (max 15 mins) from every tourist sight. However the hostel is opposite the back entrance to the hospital. Every morning at 6am the deliveries of all sorts of things would arrive and unload outside the hostel room windows - this was very very noisy and we were unable to sleep for the approx 2 hours this goes on for.

The room was great. I had a private double. There were 2 comfy chairs, a wardrobe, a table, a big mirror and most importantly in the hot weather-a fan. However the bed was extremely dodgy-the slats in the bed had snapped so on the first night as I got into bed I fell right through! With careful arrangement of the broken slats, and lying still at night, I did not fall through again.

The service was great. Very very friendly receptionist and had lots of helpful recommendations. She was lovely.

Overall, the price we paid was excellent, and as a traveller on a budget this is the most significant factor for me, but if this is not the most important thing for you I would not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 5 August 2013

arriving at a late time to this hostel i found it welcoming and clean. It is also very close to all the main night life and main sights. I stayed for 2 nights and felt safe and comfortable the negatives are no wifi on the third floor and also no lifts so you have to walk upto the top floors but enjoyed my time at this Hostel and in Bratislava

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Hostel is located in a good place. Easy to find. Alot of good pubs and restaurants around. Also market is rally close. Rooms are well sorted, clean. There was some noise in a morning from the street which can make your hangover a little harder :). Common room is big and handfull BUT there is a room with beds near so in morning you have to keep calm. The bad thing was that wifi didnt work in a room so I have to used computer at the reception like other guests. Also it would be good if they would put some courtains in shower so the bathroom wont get all wet. I have to say that receptionist guy Martin was very friendly and helpfull with all the informatons and everything else. He is really cool guy. I would consider our stay with my girlfriend very comfortable and good for the price we paid.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed in this Hostel only one night, but I was able to take advantage of it 100%, because during my stay I was the only one guest.
This property is located within a building in the central area of the city, it has very few bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a living room, after I had checked in I was completely free and independent for more than 24 hours because the reception has been unattended for the whole day.
In any case, I must to admit that the facility is very clean, simple and the large double deck bed is comfortable.
The living room has a terrace spacious enough with a spacious balcony that looked out on the main road.
It was short but has been pleasant stay at A1 Hostel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I took a single in this hostel. The staff welcome me with diverse suggestions of where I could spend my free time. Going to the room I discovered that the hostel is made of apartments, with rooms. Therefore the shower and the toilet are shared between the people in one apartment. I heard that there is a common kitchen in one of the flats, but didn't get to see it. The atmosphere is lacking some social setting for people to meet. Since the place was clean, it's good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I'm surprised at the bad reviews and feel I ought to stick up for A1 hostel! I stayed here in June 2012; it was near the start of a two week solo trip and I was pretty sick and feeling lonely; both guys working at reception were lovely to me and had proper conversations with me, recommending cafes and pointing out where the big Tesco was on the free map they gave me. They really cheered me up which instantly made it the nicest place I stayed in all the cities I went to. The staircase creeped me out a little (bit dark with what looked like a run-down elevator in the centre, but light enough to see where you're going!) but my single room was clean if a little small, and I was able to leave valuables there safely. There was nobody else on my floor the first night so I had a little look around and can tell you that the dorm room with bunkbeds has a TV with English channels! Fairly rare in hostels. I didn't have any issue with the cleanliness of the bathrooms; the toilet was cleaned twice a day when I stayed there, and the bed was comfy.

The only bad things I'd say were, the hostel is admittedly a little run-down; most of the electronic kitchen equipment I tried to use didn't work, and none of the locks worked properly! In the sense that they were TOO secure; I got locked inside the bathroom twice! So if you stay here take time when you arrive to make sure you know how all the locks work so you don't get stuck later when reception is closed!

I was able to hire a bike with helmet and lock for the day for only 7 euro (and 20 euro deposit which was of course returned when I got back); the American guy on reception gave me a map to borrow and talked me through the best routes to take to Austria/Hungary, and generally went out of his way to be extra helpful. There is a laptop at reception that the staff will kindly allow you to use if don't have a wifi device, and a number on the door you can ring if they're not around.

The location is brilliant and I felt safe as a lone female walking back at night; it's five minutes from the main square and all the main sights, and round the corner from a massive Tesco. I can't remember how far it was from the bus station but I walked there and back with my suitcase instead of having to pay for a taxi so it can't have been more than half an hour!

All in all, I would stay here again, as the people are friendly and helpful and the hostel is safe and comfy in an excellent location.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The only thing which is good about this hostel it's location. Dusty rooms, stains on beds, dirty and ugly bathroom - one big disgust. I didn't expect 5star hotel, but having business like hostel is not only charging money. Furthermore there were no towels available and wifi was not working on the second floor.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple