“Beautifully situated but pricey”

APLEND CITY Hotel Michalska
Ranked #26 of 92 Hotels in Bratislava
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Beautifully situated but pricey”
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Price may very probably have been influenced by the fact that the world ice hockey championships were taking place when we were there. We thought the hotel was really expensive for what was provided. However, the hotel is excellently situated in the historic town.
The hotel claims to be quiet but this was not the case when we were there. A nearby outside cafe might be noisy in the high season. I hesitate to say yes or no about recommending this hotel. If you are happy with the prices and obtain a quiet room then you may well be satisfied. The staff were all pleasant.

Room Tip: Check your room will be a quiet one
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happy186337

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
beirut
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I arrived the 20th of April to the hotel I loved the street first impression and I love the hotel as well and the city one of my favorite we checked inn and they directly asked me to pay in advance which is a bit weird I travelled many places and no one asked me to pay before checking out, so I opened my hand bag and took my wallet and paid with my credit card, we put our luggage and went out ,the receptionist told me that to enter into the hotel we have to put our magnetic card on the magic eye so the door can open, I was with my sis and 2 friends, we went out and we came back everything was fine till the 22 of April date of checking out we came down with the luggage at 8 in the morning no breakfast yet even there was no breakfast that day I only saw later 2 croissant to note the breakfast was terrible the whole stay I put my luggage maybe 5 meters far from the table in the same lobby which was so small, I saw a person moving too much in front of me and I said to my friends this guy is weird as if he want to take something it was like 8h 30 at 8h 55 I went to the toilet the guy wasn’t there anymore when i finished I told my friends time to move than I recognize my handbag was open just 10 or 12 cm I was surprised I open it quickly and I through everything on the floor ,…..no wallet anymore it was stolen,till I blocked my credit cards many transaction have been done I had 540 euro in cash and 100 dollars and 4 credit cards the amount of my stolen money was 3700 dollars I’m so sad I’m even depressed that all was done inside this hotel they called the police but nothing…….i even got sms on y mobile about the transactions and when I asked the receptionist about the cam record she said that she doesn’t think that there is any record and I told her about the door that we have to use the card to enter she said ohhh this is just at night….i think that the hotel should be responsible of what ,she even didn’t see the guy how come in such a tiny hotel…..now I claimed to my bank about that, hopping to get a bit of what I lost….it wass a bad badddd trip and I don’t think I’ll return back to this place,….plz all take care of the thieves there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank richard_yas
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Great hotel, perfect location in old town. Lovely room stretching from one side of building to other. Everything in modern natural tones.Very good mattress. Stylish bathroom, no bath but very large shower. Great breakfast. Very good value for money. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter_and_Jane_York
Oberammergau, Germany
Reviewed 25 March 2011

bratislava was such a pleasant surprise! the old town area was so much fun! very scenic and hardly any tourists. it felt like we had the place to ourselves. everyone spoke very good english and were really friendly.
the hotel is in a 600 year old building. there is a courtyard in the back that we didn't have time for but looked like a great place to relax with a bottle of wine. my husband said the breakfast was really good and cooked to order. the room was very tastefully done; a little small but plenty of cupboards and closets to stow everything out of sight. the location is perfect; a block or so into the old town pedestrian area. the opera house and concert hall is a very easy walk through the pedestrian area. the hotel staff were very helpful with maps, advice, etc.
we ate at a fantastic restaurant just a couple of minutes from the hotel. restaurant name is camouflage. don't pass up the chilled cream of cucumber soup which was delicious!
i would love to return to bratislava, a truly undiscovered gem.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chaucerkelly
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2010

This stay was my 2nd time at the Michlaska Brana. Wonderful gem of a hotel in Bratislava. Trendy and plush, but in a Medieval building and on a medieval cobbled st.
On Bastovo St, just beneath the tower, it's a fantastic base to explore the centre of Bratislava. Very plush rooms, immaculately clean and comfortable with AC as well as heating bars ( common throughout E.Europe for the cold winters). Room Service, audio tour mp3 player available. Quiet locale at night and near trams, obchod st and of course the centrum of the stare mesto. Breakfast is self serve buffet with hot food cooked on request also. Good coffee - espresso machine, bottomless.:)
This time I stayed in Winter/Xmas, ( the hotel is perfectly situated to enjoy the Xmas markets that is less than 200m away -, hot wines,medovina,xmas punch,traditional slovak foods, crafts and performances on stage which runs for 3 weeks until xmas 10 -10 every day) and it was v.cosy and welcoming on cold days in Bratislava to stay at the M.B. excellent value for what I paid - 80E p.n inc breakfast...Oh and it has LAN 100mb in room..bring a cable, excellent water pressure, cafe open downstairs, english speaking 24 hr reception, smart card access.
Restaurant/Bar directly opposite on Bastovo is good ( Pod V Basovo), but on Michalska st which is 50m from the hotel front door are restaurants, shops, ATMs, bars, cafes.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank CarryOnFromOz
München
Reviewed 1 September 2010

First the location of Michalska Brana hotel is perfect. On the border of the historic center within the city wall you can do everything by foot. The hotel itself is in an historic house with a completly redesigned interior. Its modern, clean and well done but unfortunately with tendencies to be overdesigned, less would have been more and even more ineresting for hotels – longer lasting in terms of taste and style. Nevertheless – You wont regret to book here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 9 July 2010

This hotel only has 14 rooms, so book early - because this is a true gem. The hotel is located in a 600 year old building, in the narrowest alley of Bratislava, and perfectly located. You are situated in the heart of the old city of Bratislava, with sights at the doorstep.

Despite being located in a building from the 1400s, the hotel is really modern, with beautifully decorated rooms. I seldomly care about the interior of my hotelrooms, but this one I truly enjoyed. The bathroom was large and clean.

The staff were very very friendly - without being pushy. Just the way it should be!

The hotel has a restaurant, but I did not try it. There is a backyard where you dine under the trees - which looked very nice. Breakfast was very good. The selection is not overwhelming, as is understandable with only 14 rooms. But what I really liked was that they prepared eggs and bacon and sausages etc. by order. That way you get totally fresh hot food - not scrambled eggs and bacon that was cooked an hour ago. Very nice!

This is one of the best hotels I've stayed at. I don't know why this is only a three star-hotel. It is far better than most four star-hotels I've stayed at.

When returning to Bratislava I will look no further than Michalska Brana.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple