“delightful” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 94 Hotels in Bratislava
Australia
“delightful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

A gorgeous historic boutique hotel in a very convenient location. Small but newly decorated rooms. The breakfast is great and we even got the mini bar free! Staff were pleasant, but not very well informed about local tours. We arranged our own private guide through Bratislava Tours (Luka Tours), which was really good and well priced. By the way, If you have luggage with wheels be prepared for a bumpy walk over cobblestones to get to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Aberfeldy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for five nights last week and had a wonderful time, the hotel is right in the heart of the old town which is beautiful and apart from in the morning there are no cars or scooters...heaven. Staff are very friendly and efficient, breakfasts are perfect and not busy, you can also sit outside in the courtyard if you wish..plenty tables, we were upgraded for no extra charge on arrival, and after reading a previous review I arranged an airport pick up using the hotels limo for a fixed price of 20 euros, and also the same on our return to the airport, the driver helped carry our luggage to the hotel as it is about 100 yds from the road and he even refused a tip!! where else would you get that kind of service. Rooms service is very good, very clean, maids very helpful. The only small negative is that there is a very popular garden pub at the back of the hotel which is busy until 1am playing loud music till midnight, the windows are doubled but it is still an issue if you want an early night, not really any fault of the hotel as it is not part of their building but I thought it was worth mentioning...oh and bring your insect repellant, not normally an issue on a city break but I have never seen anything like it in a built up area, apparently this has been a very bad year for mossies in Bratislava. But all in all I would definately return to the Michalska Brana.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2009

I had the urge to go to Bratislava while I was living in Vienna, hopped on the train and arrived less than an hour in one of my favourite European cities. I hadn't any intentions of staying the night, so I did not book in advance, but in the old town, I stumbled across this place and decided to get a room for the night. What a great idea. The staff was very nice, although I didn't really need them for anything. The rooms were great - modern, comfortable bed, loved the bathroom (I have an affinity for a good hotel bathroom), and the location just could not have been better. I intend when I return to Bratislava in the future, to stay here. Much better than the previous place I stayed when I visited back in 2005.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

A great place to stay in the old town but I'm not sure I should tell you about it - I don't want to make it too crowded after all!

Deservedly high in the TA ratings, the hotel is down a small alley way, just off the main tourist throughfare. The building is about 600 years old but was renovated and converted to a hotel 3 years ago. There are only about 16 rooms so personal service is guaranteed from the friendly staff on reception. My room was on the top floor, almost in the attic, but the sloping roof added to the character. All the fittings and furniture were clean and modern in an IKEA sort of way. A huge power shower, always piping hot.

Breakfast is served off the lobby and is a cold buffet plus one hot dish (eggs & bacon, scrambled eggs etc.). If it's a sunny morning you can take breakfast outside in the small courtyard garden. The same applies in the evening when they serve a selection of Slovak dishes and a deceptively strong local beer. Just one point to be aware of - if evening trade is slow, say because of the weather, then the reataurant may well close without warning. Not a massive problem - there's possibly 50 restaurants within 10 minutes walk.

Laundry charges are exorbitant but if you're there for a few days have a chat to the reception staff - they may well suggest alternatives!

All in all, a terrific place to stay for business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Baltimore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2009

We booked this hotel for the location, having never been to Bratislava and wanting to have a reservation before we arrived. There did not appear to be many hotels to choose from online before we left for our journey in Central Europe. Although this was a nice hotel, I would not call it four stars. For us, it was not three stars. The room was the smallest of the five rooms we stayed in during our trip to Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Prague and Munich. There was desk reception 24 hrs, but our first contact resulted in some confusion as to our plans for the day. A different person later was able to help us find our way to an attraction we wanted to see. It turned out to be closer than where we were planning to go with the original instructions. The price of the hotel included breakfast, which was alright. I would recommend a couple of things. First, the young servers in the hotel's restaurant always had an MTV type station playing in the a.m. We would have appreciated something more like CNN, no matter what the language. We did ask them to change the station one morning and it seemed to be a hit with the other guests, as well as us. The next day it was back on MTV. The restaurant is small with an outdoor garden. There was a mixup both days with my breakfast order. I just felt like the staff did not care to listen when we asked for something. Also, we did not like that room service came very early to the room on our first of two mornings there. Returning from breakfast at about 9:00 (early for us), we were unable to get into the room for a short time. We liked the location and the room was newly decorated and clean. No computer was available for guests, the room had wifi. There may have been other hotels close by for a more reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2009

A little late in posting this review but better late than never. I booked the Hotel Michalska Brana as a surprise trip to propose to my girlfriend in February 2008 (she said yes by the way!). From the moment we were met by our Chauffeur at the airport (which was arranged by the hotel) we had the most amazing 5 night stay in Bratislava. We were upgraded to the Loft Apartment for no extra charge and were also met with Champagne and Flowers in the apartment. These little touches went along way in making the weekend one to remember forever. The Hotel is very new and the service is first class. The Restaurant is also very good and affordable offering Slovakian cuisine which definately needs trying. The Hotel is situated at the top of the main street in Bratislava and within walking distance of all the best restaurants and shops. We also took the train over to Vienna for the day which was very easy and cheap. If I was ever to go back to Bratislava which we probably will, we will have no hesitation in booking the Hotel Michalska Brana.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stutwentysix
Helsinki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

I stayed in this small but nice hotel 3 nights during easter 2009. The location is great, just few steps to busy pedestrial street in old town with lot's of bars and restaurants. The hotel is newly renowated, rooms and bathroom are modern and fresh. The hotel staff is very helpful and speak great english. Thak you ladies! The garden restaurant is also nice place to relax and have a drink/food.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo