“Excellent attention to customer satisfaction” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arcadia Hotel

Arcadia Hotel
Ranked #16 of 94 Hotels in Bratislava
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Excellent attention to customer satisfaction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

Stayed here in business and is one of the most pleasant stays I have ever had on business or pleasure. The staff were fantastic, the facilities faultless and the food perfect.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Shane F
MartaTeplaGM, General Manager at Arcadia Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2011
Dear Guest.
Thank you for sharing your review of your stay. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to repeating this experience for you.
Warm regards
Marta Tepla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

The service at this hotel was exceptional. The manager Marta in particular is great . We were treated as valued guests and she made sure that we got the best out of our stay at both the hotel and in Bratislava. We stayed at the hotel for two nights in April and were upgraded to a maisonette suite (it has stairs up to bedroom which may not suit all). The room was very nice, spacious bathroom and very comfortable bed. There was not much view as the back wall of a monastery is across the street.. A router was provided on request to enable wifi in the room. The breakfast was excellent with a range of items freshly cooked at no extra charge and a rather nice slovakian sparkling wine. We had dinner one night at the hotel, everything was delicious (the tartar recommended by Marta in particular). The hot spa pool in the basement is great which is free for guests as is the sauna. The hotel is on the old city which isn't very big so is easy to explore on foot. Our only quibble was the library bar which looked inviting but was smokey so we didn't use it. A wonderful little hotel, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kiwi_n_aussie
MartaTeplaGM, General Manager at Arcadia Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2011
Thank you very much for sharing these kind words at TripAdvisor, as well as for positive approach of our staff . We will gladly share this positive review and your personal appreciation with them. We continuously strive to meet and exceed our guests' expectations, and we are delighted when this is achieved.
Hotel Arcadia is a historical building and the view to all city monuments is available from certain number of rooms. None of these could be offered during your particular day.
Library bar is the only smoking area in the hotel and it is hard to eliminate the smell of smoke.
For me personaly, it was a great pleasure to meet you and thank you for staying with us.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2011

The Arcadia hotel if not the biggest is one of the best hotels ever. The staff and service were fantastic. The road to the front can be noisy in the night due to waste collections and the like but the hotel was so good that we really didn't care.

The bar is small and would benefit from a no smoking policy due to the size.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ByronBales
MartaTeplaGM, General Manager at Arcadia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Dear Sir,
thank you for your time to write a nice comment about our hotel. The mornig rumour on the nerrow Frantiskanska street is impossible to eliminate as it is in a pedestrian zone and entrance to the old town via this street is allowed only until 9 o`clock . We succeeded to postpone the waste collection for two hours.
I am looking forward wilcoming you here again.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

I stayed here for a business trip last month, and was very impressed indeed by the high specification of the whole hotel. The staff were very professional and helpful, the room was well equipped and comfortable, and the common areas of the hotel were all very high quality.

I stayed for 2 nights, and tried out the room service, restaurant for both breakfast and evening meal, library for a drink, and the spa area. The food was excellent for all meals, and the spa area was very pleasant - and quiet. Robe and slippers were provided in the room for use in the spa, and the spa had There was also a small fitness area, however I did not use this.

The room was spacious and comfortable, and had a DVD player - I believe reception had DVD's available to watch but I didn't ask. the bathroom was very pleasant - also spacious, with the shower and toilet each separated from the bath area by a glass screen.

The location of the hotel is very good, it's on a very small quiet road right in the middle of the old town, and a very short walk to restaurants, shops, sights etc.

The price is also very good considering the high specification of the hotel - comparable to a fairly standard business hotel elsewhere, but a far more pleasant experience.

I was very sad to leave, and if I need to return to Bratislava I will definitely be staying at the Arcadia again.

Finally the only improvement I would suggest is the internet access - the wireless was free, but available only in the lobby and library - not in the room. The room does have a network point, but if you need wifi on your phone you need to go outside the room. This is a very minor point though!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Splattsville
MartaTeplaGM, General Manager at Arcadia Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
What a great response! . Thank you so much for taking the time to describe all details about the facility and recommend our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to Arcadia Hotel and of course there will be a wi-fi router in your room ready. It is a complimentary service provided for all Arcadia guests on request basis. Sometimes a building dated back to the 13th century with its walks up to 170 cm which used to be a part of ancient city fortress; are not good friends with contemporary technical possibilities. However the inroom internet and wi-fi router are always complimentary and I will istruct my staff to be more attentive to the internet conection which suites best the guest preferences.
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2011

Great hotel service. I was upgraded to the suite which was really big! The door man, Joseph, is a gem: ask him anything and he'll have an answer.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank getachkaraoke
MartaTeplaGM, General Manager at Arcadia Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2011
Dear Guest,
thank you for your nice comment on our Hotel and especialy evauation of our Doorman Joseph. I believe we have a chance to welcome you again and preper a perfect stay for you or your friends.
County Wicklow, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

We were excited to visit the Arcadia Hotel for a special romantic Valentine's Weekend celebration, not least because its website reminded us of one of our favourite hotels The Grand Palace Riga - and as it happened also to be part of the Leading Small Hotels of the World Group we hoped the standard would be as high.

Certainly the location cannot be faulted - it is in the lovely pedestrianised area of the cobbled streets of the bratislava old town - but close enough to the new town that your taxi can drop you just a few feet from the hotel.

The cheapest rate I was quoted fromt the airport to the hotel was from bestslovaktours.com for 15 euros but the average was 17 euros from websites like airport transfers (which take credit cards) and fox transfer (who only take cash).

However the Arcadia hotel quoted me 30 euros - which at double the price of the cheapest quote is outrageously overpiced and smacks a little of taking advantage rather then good care of their guests.

Similary when I enquired about sightseeing tours while the FREE tour you get with the bratislava card (which also gives you free transport and many discounts to restaurants/shops/activities) can be had for the cost of the card 10 EUROS a very similar walking tour was on offer from the hotel for 49 euros each for two people (79 euros for 1 person) which also includes refeshments at the hotel.

The hotel also offered me a 2 hour minibus tour for 59 euros each for two people (90 euros for 1 person) where as the going rate quoted by local tour operators seemed to be 30 euros for a 21/2 hour minibus tour.

So once again by booking through the hotel you are again paying at very least twice the price of an almost identical service. Naturally I would have to take the hotel's tours to give a completly accurate comparison but 118 Euros for a 2 hr mini bus sightseeing tour for 2 people versus 60 euros for a 21/2 hour mini bus sightseeing tour seems like really bad value to me - as does a free 1hr-11/2hr walking tour versus 98 EUROS for 2 people for 2 hours.

I understand a 5 star hotel wishing to make some kind of mark up on taxis and ours but charging twice the going rate to tourists who simply are not familiar with that going rate seem a little like robbery to me.

Check in was a little stiff, perhaps that is a cultural thing, but the male reception staff were a littel dour, but made up for by the delightful Luia who was full of smiles and sightseeing tips.

Our room was an adequate size, but not by any means large but managed to fit in an enormous bed, desk and seating area, huge flat screened tv with good range of channels, large antique wardrobe, very opulent decor and furnishings, nice touches like tea and coffee kit, mini bar, lovely generous sized robe and embroidered slippers.

The bathroom was impressive with plenty of towels, beautiful marble finish, undeground heated floor, bath, great shower, nice seperate glass doored loo area and a superb range of toilletries including lovely bath salts, vanity set, manicure set, body lotion, shower gel etc. As always I would have simply loved if they had provided hair conditioner as well as shampoo as so very few hotels do - I also love the even fewer hotels which provide shaving kits and even toothbrushing kits which are so handy for future trips! But as toillletries go this selection was great quality, plenty of it and the bath salts were a very welcome extra touch of luxury.

Our room (No 5) also had a nice view of the cobbled streets below and the fluttering of the hotel's many entrance way flags made the view extra nice. In conversation with the General Manager however I was rather surprised to hear that due to the construct of this fabulous 14th century building only a few rooms actually had external windows - something to think about and request when making a booking, as certainly the idea of a windowless room, however charmingly appointed does not really appeal to me.

Another slight bugbear about the room was that it had a connecting door which faced the bed, which although locked did give you a slightly uneasy feeling that it might burst open at any time!

Due to ill heath we were forced to order one of our breakfasts to be served in our room. I say forced as the room service charge for breakfast is a whopping 10 EUROS, which I consider to be simply extorsionate and by far the most I have ever seen charged for bringing breakfast to your room.

Having said that it was an elaborate presentation including two waiters and a trolly complete with flower and vase and the menu on offer was vaired and generous (except for the minute coffee pot) - and delivery was bang on time requested.

The first morning it arrived completed down to the very last detail, but the second morning was a little hit and miss with our request for a large rather than small pot of cofee ignored as were small details like our order of danish pasteries etc.

Was the room service impressive and elaborate - Yes!

Would we have prefered a more humble offering for 5 euros delivery charge? Definitely, as once again as with the taxi and the sightseeing tour we felt like we were really being squeezed for cash.

Breakfast served in the very elegant and beautiful dining room was simply excellent with outstanding service and a generous and varied menu.

There was a stylish buffet laid out with a selection of yoghurts, cheeses, fruits and fruit salad, meats, fish, pateries, salad, breads and cereals.

Also on offer from the menu at no extra chrage were other dishes made to order like hot grits (like hot muesli), porridge, eggs, omelettes, slovakian potato pancakes and french toast.

I also had a delicious cappucino and a simply spectacular hot chocolate, in a tall glass with whipped cream and it tasted as if it was actually made of melted chocolate - and very pleasingly, unlike some hotels, there was no extra charge for these beverages.

The very attentive General Manager who was acting manager for our stay, came to the restaurant to check everything was to our liking and told us that unlike many other hotels we could feel free to order as many dishes as we liked from the menu and as many repeat rders and it was al included in the breakfast charge - which I thought was simply outstanding as so many hotels have many eith/or caveats on their breakfast menus.

For breakfast, with the impressive, so very professional and friendly service and excellent range of hot dishes and delicious variety of breads and rolls I have to say the Arcadia Hotel must be given unreserved full marks in all departments!

Another wonderful touch was the complimentary braodband equipped laptop in reception for guests to use. In a world of hotels who charge outrageous internet fees this was ever so welcome and great to be able to check emails for a few minutes a few times a day without being down 10 euros as is so often the case. So Hurrah for the free internet and free laptop access - Thanks for that Arcadia hotel!

Things I liked also about the hotel was the intimate atmosphere (there are only 34 rooms/suites), the great location, the opulent decor, including two rather beautifully decorated and designed lifts, the beautiful soft stone staircases and the loving restoration of this lovely building and also the way it felt very secure. The hotel also offers free use of its DVD library - but I think I would have prefered an in-house movie service if it were to be reasonably priced.

Things I did not like were the outrageously priced extras - due to ill helth we requested a late check out of 1 hour but were told it was 20 euors per hour, which is just crazy when a lot of hotels are flexible and generous enough enough to offer it free or perhaps charge 20 euros up until 3pm or 4pm. Cocktails are 9.50 and parking I believe is 30 euros a day!

Perhaps these charges are in line with the other 5 star hotels in Bratislava but even so, in this current economic climate I am sure all guests would really love to be given a break and be offerered more realistic prices , even if it does mean dropping these huge profit-margins just a bit.

Had we been allowed a late check out - even if only 30 minutes, we would have gone away feeling we had been really spoiled and taken care of, but what with the exhorbitant taxi/tours/room service fees, plus the constant urging to eat at the hotel restaurant and policy of grabbing our hand luggage when we had refused the offer to take it for us, we came away feeling that we had been consistantly squeezed and pushed to part with money at every twist and turn, which left a really bad taste in our mouths.

As check in is usually 3 pm and Sunday nights are notoriously slack and the Manager and I had already discussed our unfortunate situation with ill health over the weekend I think charging 20 euros per hour for a slightly late check out request is just bad hospitality as if the room was vacated at 1, there would still be plenty of time for housekeeping to prepare it for even a 2pm check in.

Would I stay at the Arcadia Hotel again?

With Booking.com offering rates of 120 per night as the cheapest option I would have to say NO!

Grabbiness and pushiness is just a very unattractive quality in a hotel and one which would mean we would never return.

Although I did not see a hotel in as nice a location, the Hotel Perugia (which seemed to be 4 star, but only had 3 stars on display) was also in the old town - or there is the famous hotel where Einstein and many other famous visitor stayed which in on the same square as the Opera House, which looked good or of course the brand new Sheriton which had some great deals on offer and I nearly booked into myself, but was swayed by the old town location.

My tips though should you choose the Arcadia hotel, is make sure you get a room with a window, book though a good value provider like hotelsclick.com or booking .com (120 euros for a double room) as the hotel website was far more expensive when we were booking and do a price comparison on any services you may be thinkling of booking through the hotel!

As Bratislava is really quite small, I can't imagine visiting again but if I did I personally would be definitely giving the competition a go especially as I would not fancy getting a room without a window!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BonneVoyager
MartaTeplaGM, General Manager at Arcadia Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2011
Dear Mrs. Cooper, thank you for comprehensive and overall positive evaluation of Hotel Arcadia Bratislava. You pointed out positive sites and there is no dispute about those. I`m more than happy to reply to your feedback personally, because it was me the active manager on Duty during your stay.

There are few issues I would like to be explained for the other Guests who might read your review as follows:

AIRPORT TRANSFER

It`s always guest`s choice to use public or hotel limousine service. - Airport transfer with a Mercedes Limousine, English speaking liveried driver, luggage service and soft drink on board, security, permission to come in front of the hotel entrance as we are located in lovely pedestrianized zone, is the transfer we offer. It is always a guest’s choice to use the public one for another rate and services.

- Sightseeing tours recommended by the hotel are optional, we offer only best ranked city trilingual highly professional guides, waiting for guests in the hotel lobby. Arcadia tours are PRIVATE what mean high devotion for the clients interest, ability to make the tour tailor made and skills to tell what the guests wants utmost to know about our city. The tour consists of places and information clients prefer to know. Join-in tours from a City point can not be compared with ours for many many factors. This is always guest`s choice to do things privately and exclusive or be a part of the group. We always add that little extra value to the price as well. We are obligated to pay 20 prct VAT as well, what of course the city tourist center is not and can have straight the prices lower because of no VAT. To be honest, this is the very first time we heard that our prices for Private City tours are high.

- Small note to the interior rooms. There are three rooms from the total capacity with a view to the hotel courtyard with glassed painted ceiling, lobby and backlight and are also wonderful and popular among Guests from the south who prefer to have maximum darkness for the good night sleep. The character of building from the 13th century is unique in vary different ways.

- Room service fee is applied according to the hotel policy and this standard payment mentioned in Room service menu. Clients are fully informed about all the applicable fees in advance. Breakfast time in our restaurant on weekend is from 6.30 to 11.00 what gives a lot of chance for join-in Breakfast. As you described – there were two my team mates preparing and delivering the trolley – this is the part of the costs – we need to have them and pay them, while the corridors of our hotel on some floors are castle like and special attention is needed to deliver on time and without any damage.

- Late check out

We apply without any further payment if there are no arrivals expected for certain room. Check –in time is 2 pm and we need to have rooms ready by 2pm. If not ready by 2pm we shall provided higher room category for free, that`s why the late-check out is worldwide subject to a small fee. Complimentary drinks or discounted lunch was offered from me as your flight was planed round about 4 pm.

One more time I thank you for such detailed comments about our property even comparison of Hotel Arcadia and the other mentioned 4* hotel was a piece of pain for me being a manager of Leading Hotel of the World Group. It makes me sad as well to read about your feelings related to money. However I wish to thank you for choosing our lovely historic hotel and look forward to have chance to offer you our hospitality also in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2011

I live in Bratislava and have stayed here once but many friends I have booked in Arcadia, it's worth every sent you pay and more, a1+ I can not believe some of these poor revues, ( must be from local competitours ) well done Arcadia.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Johnnyenglish48
MartaTeplaGM, General Manager at Arcadia Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2011
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your support and wish to have you as a guest here, again.