“Absolutely superb” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Kosice
Kosice
“Absolutely superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I'm a UK resident working in Kosice and recently brought my wife over for a visit. I chose City Residence on the recommendation of colleagues and was glad I did. We stayed in Apartment 2 which has only recently been converted and it was amazing. This has to be the best hotel we have stayed in and we are seasoned travellers. This apartment is well furnished and equipped, the kitchen includes a sink which some don't but the wow factor is a sauna in the bathroom, superb after a days hiking! The staff deserve special mention, they just can't do enough, very very friendly and as highlighted in previous reviews the breakfasts are huge. The thing with City Residence is that the building itself belies what lies within, it is the rooms and staff that are the wow factor not an impressive reception with small rooms which is what we're used to. I definitely recommend this hotel and will be staying there again before the end of the year.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Simon L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012 via mobile

Here you have great furniture – not hotel style, neither the style of a famous Swedish brand – in large apartments. The staff will please you. The location is just 5 min from old town square. Nice courtyard to have a coffee in summer, and for breakfast. That's a place to live, not just to stay.

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CHWA
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

This is my ideal stay in a hotel. The rooms are not "rooms", but entire flats that are very nicely furnished. The staff is incredibly friendly and the you get a great bonus of a free bottle of wine and free breakfast brought to your "room". I travel a lot in my job (this was the fifth hotel I had been to over the last seven days) and this is the only hotel I have ever written a review on because I was so impressed! I was concerned that I may have read the price wrong of 70 EUR a night...but I didn't :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew D
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel is really neat. The rooms are actually small apartments in an old apartment building with a courtyard. Walking into the hotel it doesn't look like much. The lobby is drab and the bar/cafe is kind of dark and gloomy. BUT, when they open the door to the room, it's an absolute palace! IKEA touches such as some cool lighting and linens, bathrobes, free wine and snack, kitchenette with coffee maker, tea pot, mini fridge (no sink or stove), large living area with single pull-out bed, two chairs, a desk and large TV. Bedroom is huge with large bed, chair, dresser, tons of closet space. Great big windows so lots of natural light. Big bathroom with tub/shower (no curtain). We were in apt 5.

It's amazing to have all of that room. In addition, the location is perfect - just two. Locks to the main pedestrian street in the old section of the city. And, the breakfast is as other have mentioned: hearty and delicious.

City Residence: Don't change a thing!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Oslo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Huge apartment with separate bedroom, sitting room, tea kitchen and large bathroom with bath and shower. Generally well furnished, decorated and clean. Very comfortable! Good location near to city centre. Parking on lot opposite.

Good friendly service, allowed us to check in early. Huge breakfast served in the room or on patio if good weather.

Only thing I missed was a sink in the tea kitchen to wash up.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

Just got back from a trip to Slovakia this past Sunday. We stayed at City Residence in Kosice for three nights...and we did not want to leave. The staff were kind, helpful and welcoming from our first day arrival to check-out. As posted by others, there was a welcome bottle of wine in the room which was a nice touch. Every night, we were asked to order our breakfast from a menu for the next morning. The breakfasts were healthy portions..so much so we asked them to scale back as we, for instance, could not eat six eggs EACH! Even still, we had good portion sized breakfasts that included juice, coffee, water, fresh fruits (oranges, apples, kiwi, etc), and as we usually had eggs or omelets for breakfast...enough toast was served that we could make sandwiches for treks out later that day. The room was the large apartment as we were three sisters travelling cross country. This apartment was very comfortable, a feeling of home away from home. A sitting area with a pull out couch and a coffee table , TV, and several other pieces of stylish furniture, two well-sized seperate and comfortable bedrooms. We had the charming room with the skylights...which also had "shades" that pulled down at night. The space had a long hallway giving a very spacious feel, and a kitchen that gave it a home-like sense. One and a half baths...one with a shower...very accomodating for three people getting ready to go out exploring Kosice and nearby towns and villages. One nice feature for 5 euros you can also get clean clothes...as they provide a laundry service. One staffmember,Neli, even helped me track down a book I had heard was sold in a local book shop near St. Elisabeth's. The City Residence is also very convenient to many good restaurants, cafes, shops. Be sure to get an ice cream cone at Aida Cukraren and sit and relax near the singing fountain! Very pleasant stay. If ever again in Kosice, I would stay at City Residence again in a heartbeat! The only drawback is the apartment was on the third floor,and no elevator...so this may not be so accomodating for elderly or disabled...but they DO have apartments on the first floor near a sweet courtyard and closer to the reception area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

I feel guilty writing this review because the people at the front desk were so nice and helpful, but I think people need to know that this hotel appeals to a certain kind of audience.

Positives - Front desk extremely helpful and kind. Apartment was on the whole very clean. We had Apartment 3. It was a 2 bedroom and would work very well for a family. There was 2 bedrooms, a full bathroom with tub, a bathroom with just sink and toilet, a kitchen equipped with some dishes and pots and pans - but NO sink - so you would have to wash the dishes in the bathroom - living room with nice TV - and one bedroom has nice TV, although my husband could never get it to work. Air conditioning in each room.
There is a wonderful selection for breakfast which they bring to the room. The people that brought the breakfast were not too friendly until they found out they were going to get a tip. Then they became much more friendly. Breakfast was very good.

Negatives - We were on the 3rd floor. There are only stairs - long stairs - no help with the luggage. Because this is an old building remodeled - there are different levels within the apartment - which is a challenge when one needs to use the restroom at night. Just be sure of your footing. There is NO internet if you don't have a laptop, but there was internet access. My biggest gripe is the bedrooms. First of all, the beds are about 20 inches off the ground. For some of us, this makes it difficult to get out of bed in the middle of the night - plus taking into account the different floor levels to go to the bathroom - and the bed was not comfortable. However, what put me over the edge - the bed had all these kind of "esoteric pillows". When I go to bed, I want to have nice pillows, that I know the pillow cases are fresh and clean and I like several of them to put under my head. On these beds there were various assorted pillows - only one that I could have thought might have been laundered - the rest had gold braiding or were some time of exotic fabric - non of which would have been laundered on a daily basis. They were of all sorts of sizes and fabrics - and I kept thinking - whose head has been on this pillow? That made me think - has the duvet cover been to the laundry in the past week or so? I just didn't feel the bed was what I wanted for clean - and that could have just been me - but it was annoying enough that I would not feel comfortable staying in the bed again.

We did go to a wonderful restaurant here - recommended by the hotel - the 12 Apostles. It was excellent.
**Also - When we ran the bath water the first night - it came out totally ORANGE - if we hadn't lived in Moscow, Idaho in the 60's we would have been freaked out - but this is just a place where there is a lot of iron in the water - you just have to let it run several minutes.

We were close to the city center and walked into the Doubletree to compare - but were overwhelmed with the cigarette smoke in the lobby so did not ask to see the rooms.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple