“Not fun” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Poprad
Vancouver, Canada
“Not fun”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

Spontaneously decided to go to Aqua City for a weekend road trip with the gf in the summer, we stayed here for 2 nights, it was quite boring. The water park is weak, there are no exciting water slides for adults. Hotel was clean, had a cheap feeling to it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mojohomer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
bratislava
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

So we didn’t stay at the hotel but we went there for an all day trip. We have bought a vital ticket which is 24 Euros for 6 hours and we went there with our two children 3 year old and 8 months old. We were told at the gate that we cannot take the pushchair with us as this has been in the Aqua city rules from that day that no pushchairs are allowed in there. So we have got tickets but we cannot go in there. My daughters still sleeps during the day and obviously she isn’t walking yet so what to do how we can be there without a pushchair-it’s impossible. So we have called the manager and she told me that there is no way we can take the pushchair with us, my 3 year old started to cry because he thought that we are not going in and he was waiting for that day for over a month. So I said to her that we are going in and I will use the pushchair and also I asked her where is that new rule , where can I find in writing and she told me that she can’t find it-ridicules!!!! So we went in and on the end she told me that if we will unfold our pushchair there she will get some people who will take it from me and destroyed my pushchair- what the hell is that-customers service in Slovakia like always excellent. No way we are going there again. And I will make sure that every parent from Europe will see my review! Good luck AQUACCITY in POPRAD .

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Patrycja84
Lincs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2008

We wanted to stay at the aqua city hotel but it was fully booked so we decided to just go there for a few hours to enjoy the geothermal funpark. There are four options for day visits thermal, sports, blue sapphire, and vital. We got the vital package which included access to everything. I would not recommend the vital package as the wellness center was not very nice and many of the rooms smelled like sweat rather than the fragrance they were meant to. I didn't feel it was worth the extra money. The blue sapphire pool was very nice with bubble chairs that messaged your body from your upper shoulders to ankles with bubbles while you float in geothermal water. It also has a swim up bar serving drinks both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. The prices were not outlandish for the drinks here. As it was late October most of the outdoor activities were closed but there was still one water slide open which was a blast to go down (yes even as adults). The geothermal pools were relaxing and we enjoyed going in all of them. They do not allow towel rental and you have to buy a towel if you don't bring one (150 SKK for a small one, 300 SKK for a large). The changing area is a bunch of little one person rooms and then the lockers are in a communal area for everyone. There are separate male and female showers though it seemed most people showered with their suits on. There were mirrors and hair dryers in the communal area as well so most people dried their hair in their suits and then went to change.

3 Thank anon62
cotswolds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2008

Wow is all I have to say about aqua city. My husband and I went here for our honeymoon in November and it was amazing.

The scenery was gorgeous, all the 4 star rooms have views of the mountains, there was snow everywhere and the hotel was great. I loved the outdoor pools, i highly reccomend using them at night while it is snowing, very romantic. The pools were not too busy especially in the evening.

The area is not great, but with a five minute walk you can be in porad which is a lovely little town.

Everyone is very helpful, although slight language barrier.
We would reccomend a trip up the mountain on the electric railway, it cost us 80p each for a return tickect and the views are amazing.

I would also suggest going to the restraunt in the old town near the church, cant remember what its called, but if you tell staff at the hotel where it is they will know what it is called as it is such a small place.

Went and watched local ice hockey match at the stadium, very cheap and women are completly free!

I would reccomend this hotel to anyone it is just a gorgeous place and so relaxing. Havent mentioned the pools as everyone else has done such a good job describing them.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank holidaylover068
poprad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2008

I stayed in AquaCity when I first came and subsequently moved to Slovakia - now I run the English/Slovak station called RTI also based in Poprad.
AquaCity has changed dramatically since I first visited. My first ever visit was as a reporter for a London based station as AquaCity was being built over thermal water and making many claims about its Eco-friendly position - later confirmed when it won the WTA Eco Award.
Since the opening of the first hotel, AquaCity has more than doubled its hotel capacity; added numerous new pools; the chryotherapy centre has been opened as has the hi-tech Conference centre.
The more recent solar-powered Blue Sapphire pool is worth a visit just to see the Laser show which is certainly up to the standard of something you would expect in California.
AquaCity is equally at ease with English, German and/or Slovak guests/day visitors - it makes no difference all are warmly welcomed and all languages can be spoken.
I don't think it matters where you come from, it is a Home from Home and actually staying or playing there is not damaging the environment.

• Liked — The overall experience
  • Disliked — Not being able to speak Slovak as they spoke great English
  • Stayed April 2005, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tesug
hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

Travelled to Poprad with my husband and two kids aged 12 and 15 by Sky Europe from Luton airport on 24th May - flight was fine, Poprad airport is quite small but efficiently operated.

Aquacity is on the edge of town with a spectacular backdrop of the High Tatras Mountains. We stayed in the Mountain View 4* part of the hotel on half board for five nights. We had two interconnecting twin rooms with modern decor, very clean, lovely bathrooms with rainwater showers, very comfortable mattresses (but very lumpy pillows!), and plenty of space and storage. Guests are provided with white towelling dressing gowns to use the pools and spa, which feel luxurious. The hotel is cleverly designed to allow guests to be separate from day visitors in the hotel with reception and lobby bar on the third floor above the public entrance to the water park, and the hotel restaurant on the first floor.

I think May is low season, and the hotel itself was not fully occupied, but the pool areas were busy with day guests, often school or college parties with groups of kids of all ages. On one of the days, the group became quite boisterous in the outside pools, which was not very relaxing and we left the pool area to go to the spa, which was very quiet. In the spa, there is a large whirlpool, tanning room, and about six different steam rooms, plus a massage room.

Unfortunately, the main children's outside pool area with slides and flumes does not open until mid-June, which was a bit disappointing for our kids, and would probably have diffused the effects of the school parties as they would have had more space to play.

Inside, there is also an enormous Olympic sized pool for lane swimming, two smaller pools with swim up bars, a small indoor toddler pool, and a larger thermal pool where the lazer show is held in the evenings, which is spectacular.

Outside there are three pools which increase in temperature from 29C to 34C to 39C. The pools are all lined with stainless steel, which retains the heat and is very comfortable on the feet!

The food in the restaurant was very nice, the breakfasts consisted of different types of bread and rolls with various cheeses, cold meats and jams etc, and cooked food such as sausages and eggs, coffee, tea and juices. Suppers were buffet style as well with a salad bar, 3/4 main courses of different meats, fresh veg, and a veg option, with cakes for pudding.

We walked into Poprad centre most mornings about 10 minutes away. The centre has been restored very attractively with painted buildings and two attractive churches. There are several cafes with outside eating areas. Outside the centre is a little more rundown. Local people were very friendly and helpful and most staff in the hotel spoke adequate English. Prices are very keen, but I understand that Slovakia is taking on the Euro in 2009, and I bet the prices increase then.

One morning we caught a tram from the train station to Stary Smokovec, a village in the foothills of the mountains. The journey took about 20 minutes and cost 40 Sk (£1) each. At the village you can take a cable car further up the mountain. and take a walk around or have lunch in a restaurant. Unfortunately, it was quite misty and we didn't have a good view, so I would suggest going on a clearer day.

All in all we had a very pleasant relaxing stay and the kids had a great time as well.

• Liked — Spa facilities, modern decor, magnificent views of snow capped mountains
  • Disliked — Lumpy pillows in bedroom, excessive day visitors
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank clairamon
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2008

Had a girly weekend with my two daughters in October 2007. What a weekend it was, stayed at the 4* Mountain View paid extra for a top floor suite and it was great, two bathrooms, separate lounge, two mini bars etc. The Aquacity Spa was fantastic, spent most of the time in one pool or another. Watched the sound and laser show every night it looked different each night depending on where you sat/lay to watch it. The location isn't the best but didn't venture far from the spa anyway. Would go back again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)