“A luxurious winter wonderland.”

Grandhotel Stary Smokovec
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stary Smokovec
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“A luxurious winter wonderland.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

We enjoyed a most comfortable stay in this luxurious hotel in late winter/ early spring, with fresh snow still around. We made use of the ski school only 500m away, and then relaxed in the indoor pool. The cafe/bar and restaurant were excellent, and our room was spacious and beautifully appointed. Altogether, this was a delightful place to stay for a few nights in the Tatrys and we would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Marek K, Manager at Grandhotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Mrs. Helen,

First of all, let me thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. As I can see whole our team did all to make your stay at our Grandhotel Stary Smokovec most enjoyable.

We hope we can welcome you at least once again maybe this summer?

Once again, thank you very much.

Hotel Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Kosice, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I spent a night in Grandhotel Stary Smokovec with a friend. The staff was kind and friendly enough to let us keep our luggages before check-in and after check-out in their store room which is locked. After a couple of hours of hiking, we went to the wellness centre; it's well maintained and the facilities come with good varieties like spa, steam bath, sauna, swimming pool, Kneipp cure and relax zone... what makes it even better is that they burned nice aroma oil in the whole wellness centre. Our booking came with buffet breakfast and it was simply fabulous, the selections were good too. I love their English breakfast, hot choc, and tea with a few flavours. We had our dinner in their restaurant, everything was good except the attitude of a waitress which wasn't very friendly and polite. However, I am willing to compromise this minor flaw taking into the consideration the job well-done in all other areas. I will definitely go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Marek K, General Manager at Grandhotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Rita3933,

First of all, thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback for your recent stay with us within our tripadvisor family.

I am very happy to hear that you did enjoy your stay with us.

I'm looking forward to welcome you at least once again at our wonderful Grandhotel Stary Smokovec.

Bratislava, Slovakia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I always admired this hotel as a child, as a representation of luxury and historical "genius loci".
Nowadays the hotel looks that the owners dont really care, just how to mine from hotel`s past reputation.
The room was average big, could be a little larger. Tapestries on the walls in the room and also in corridors, looked old and smudged with tapestry glue. The restaurant menu of halfboard was "gourmet at all costs" how they wanted to have a special menu..but in real there were strange combinations of dish-side dish, like chicken schnitzel with tomato - garlic spagetti. We had problems every day to choose form the 3 options. On the other hand the breakfast buffet was excellent.
In the spa area I miss something for children, no kids pool. Apart from this the Spa area is fine, not very big but with all basic sauna types and cooling.

Generally, we dont need to come again to this hotel. For that quite high price you dont get the quality.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Marek K, General Manager at Grandhotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Dear Katarina P.,

Thank you very much for sharing your valuable feedback with us. I sincerely regret that your recent stay at Grandhotel Stary Smokovec has not met all your expectations. Thank you for your feedback to our halfboards. We do offer various choices of menu for a dinner. Our chef checked the offer and I can assure you, that with our offer guest have always different choices to make every dinner memorable and enjoyable.

I'm glad to hear you did like the offer of your Grand Spa with our rounded swimming pool. I would like to apologize we could not offer a child pool for your child.

Once again thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

I did not stay at the hotel, however, I had a dinner in their main restaurant one evening. It is a grandiose, sort of elegant big tall room with ten huge crystal chandeliers out of which only two were lit during the dinner. When I asked why so dark, I was explained they are trying to give an intimate "candlelight" atmosphere. Definitely, they were not achieving it, especially with the cheap neon lights over the book cases by the walls. The place did look so dark and depressing (all burgundy colours including the carpet and tablecloth) Saving on electricity, I presume? That was the atmosphere. The fois gras for my appetiser was delicious and perfectly cooked. However, the main course was a disaster. I ordered a rack of lamb on creamed spinach with garlic gratin and fried potatoes. A rack of lamb at 22.40 Euros should consist of at least 3 if not 4 bone-in cutlets. I got two small thin cutlets cooked medium, then a strange piece of an over roasted (heated up?) boneless lamb which was hard and chewy, obviously from some other parts of the animal (simply inedible) and the last piece was a big piece of fat posing as the 4th "boneless" cutlet. What a cheat! The potatoes were virtually swimming in grease and the garlic gratin was no gratin just several cloves of raw garlic thrown on the plate. The best part was the spinach.
When I complained to the waiter, he went to the kitchen and came out with the reply: "this is how we always serve rack of lamb". If I may suggest, AVOID having this dish, or if you can, eat at the Grand Hotel Praha in Tatranska Lomnica (a much nicer restaurant) or at the Kempinski where I had some memorable food. I somehow had the impression the communist era is still haunting this Grand Hotel, but, given my age, I do remember, the cuisine then was much better, even though there was no fois gras... I wonder, had I not spoken Slovak, as an English speaking Canadian would I have gotten a better meal?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Stefan9
Dear Mr. Stefan9,

Thank you very much for your review you shared with us. I truly regret that your experience on this occasion has not met your expectations for which I wish to apologize sincerely. Your feedback is very important to us as it allows us to improve our services and our guests’ experience for the future. We are also very pleased you enjoyed the fois gras which makes us famous and our grandiose restaurant Lefevre. I would like to assure you that the ten huge crystal chandeliers are now always on.

Once again thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

Very good hotel, full of history and charm. Excellent service and good food. Great starting point to go hiking or skiing on the tatras mountains. I had a single room which was quite big and very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Wanderer188057
Dear Wanderer,

First of all, let me thank you for your review. I'm glad you did enjoy your stay with us and felt comfortable. Me and my team are working hard every day to make every guest happy and satisfied.

Hopefully we can welcome you once again this summer!

Bratislava, Slovakia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

Spent 2 nights, 04/19-04/21/2013 with wife and a 2-year old daughter in room nr. 19.
Summary: strongly disappointed
Just some details:
- the only "Grand SPA" available for a child, was 27°C pool, which was way too cold
- very rusty water from the bath tap
- misalligned, partially torn tapestry with dirty borders
- unglued carpet moldings
- dangerous reading lights with easily reachable parts under voltage (even with bare hands)
- old 50Hz CRT TV without compatible remote control
- clock radio set to a completely wrong time (difference cca +2 hours)
- cheap and not good matresses
Definitely not a 4* room.
Will not come again, will not recommend to anybody.

2 Thank Michal B
Marek K, General Manager at Grandhotel Stary Smokovec, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Mr. Michal,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Grandhotel Stary Smokovec and your valuable feedback.

The unsatisfactory points as occurred and experienced have been reviewed and we wish to apologize for any inconvenience they may have caused you.

The rusty water comes from the Glacier due to melted snow. This occurs twice a year and last just for few days. We would like to ensure you that the water could consist more minerals than average but meets all standards to high quality mountain water. During the year we offer special packages for families with children, therefore we can arrange higher °C in our main swimming pool. We do apologize, that our swimming pool was too cold.

Dear Mr. Michal, once again thank you very much for your feedback. We will review each of your comment and will make sure will not happen again.

Praha, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

We spent beautiful Easter weekend in this stylish hotel. Deluxe double room was very spacious, well equipped with big LCD TV, balcony with city centre view, only bathroom was a little bit older. Kind staff, rich and very tasty breakfast, tasty and romantic dinner in hotel restaurant. Wellness has spacious pool and spa is very nice, eucalyptus steam spa was very pleasant. Spa is normally open from 15 pm, but it was open from 12 during our stay. If you want to relax or make some short trips it is the right hotel for you. We were very satisfied with this stay at Grand Hotel.

Room Tip: Order Deluxe room, it is very spacious and well equipped.