“Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 280 Restaurants in Kaunas
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Re-opened in May of 2014, restaurant UOKSAS represents contemporary, seasonal and creative cuisine. Simple, unpretentious and modern, rough interior is warmed with cozy wooden details and lush of greens. Suitable for upscale or casual everyday dining.
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Really nice place, very delicious. The desert was very tasty. It eas black chocolate cream with strawberries! :) enjoy!

4  Thank Rugilė V

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked a table for tasting dinner where I took my mom for her birthday evening.
We were seated at the closest table by the chef to be able to see the preparing process.
The chef greeted us with a simple cheese crisp served on a stone. Couple of minutes later we received first appetizer - beef tartare with marinated turnip, onions, dried parsley oil and cleft cabbage. I believe a little bit of coal was grated on top. First time me eating raw meat and what can I say - I'm not regretting it a bit.
The second appetizer was a duck egg boiled for two hours in 60C temperature. It was served on horse radish mousse and some bacon crumbs. The egg was delicious, mousse surprisingly was not spicy at all, however bacon seemed to be a little too salty.
The main dish was lamb with asparagus, celery, olive crumbs and roasted garlic on top. I have never eaten such a juicy and soft meat. I don't really like celery but this was an exception.
The dessert was chocolate and coffee air (as they call it) which is kinda like very fluffy ice cream. There also were frozen caramel (prepared with liquid nitrogen), drops of cherry sauce and some flowers. When it was served, the vapor from the nitrogen was still fading from our plates. Have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of desserts but I ate the whole thing and wanted more.

Overall, the food was magnificent and the size of portions was reasonable. The waitress, who I believe might have been one of the owners, served us very well. The only drawback I can think of is the fact that the chef talks a bit too quiet. Therefore, sometimes it's difficult to understand what exactly you are eating because it wasn't fully explained.
Four meal tasting dinner for two with drinks cost about 170Lt and it's worth every penny. I recommend to book the table in advance and mention what products you dislike/can't eat.

3  Thank Iustae
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was really looking forward to eating at Uoksas. I’ve read some raving reviews and seen the photos of their food – all sounded like a must visit place. The restaurant does not list the contact details on their FB page, so I was unable to book a table, but luckily one was available when we got there.

We couldn’t find the place at first; we wandered around for a little bit and had to ask people where it was. It turned out we walked right past it and didn’t notice it as it had no signs outside.

The menu was rather short: 3 starters (plus a soup of the day), 3 mains and 2 deserts. I had the ox heart to start. The place was tiny and only half full (I counted 11 people), but we still had to wait a long time for the food to get there, probably close to half hour.

The heart came served on a slate: two thick slabs of meat with a huge streak of red currant (I think) puree, bulgur wheat cake and garnished with confit garlic. When I cut in to take the first bite, to my horror I realised the heart was barely cooked. It was somewhat warm inside and of a very uniform colour – I presume, cooked in sous vide on a rather low temperature. The meat looked raw and it had a raw texture to it, and the problem was exacerbated by the fact that it was served on an unheated slate. By the time I was 1/3 into the dish, the food was completely cold.

The garlic added some nice sweetness to the meat, but the acidic berry puree did not go well with it at all. I didn’t complain though, as it helped to hide the rawness of the meat. The bulgur wheat cake was deep fried and had a nice crunch to it, but ultimately was rather bland and could have used more seasoning, herbs or other ingredients.

I had “pearl chicken” for my main. I must have been not paying attention at the menu description, but when the chicken got there, there it was again – the bulgur wheat cake, the king of bland! The chicken breast sat on lots of green puree (probably made of peas, can’t remember) garnished with some pea shoots. The taste was OK - not horrible but not extraordinary either, however the breast was tiny – the size of a poussin breast.

I had apple mousse for my desert, which came with spiced cake and apple sorbet. The cake was nice, with heavy cookie dough-like texture and the sorbet was delicious as well. The mousse was bizarre though, with an odd rubbery texture. It also had a barely noticeable taste which got quickly overpowered by the strong tasting cake and sorbet.

After we left the restaurant I asked my guest’s opinion. My guest remarked “I cook a better soup than that (speaking about cod soup she ordered) and that the experience fell short of expectations. Unfortunately, I felt the same.

The starter was a disaster; great if you’re Hanibal Lecter, but challenging for the most people. The waiter could have at least given me some warning about the cooking degree bordering on raw. The rest of the food was OK, but nothing to write home about. Ultimately, it was a very basic cooking disguised as a fine cuisine by fancy presentations and names (air of this, ash of that, snow of another, etc.). Even the food presentation didn't look as amazing as in the photos – just some of your good old puree dots and streaks, micro herbs and flowers, nothing you haven’t seen a hundred times before. It’s not the sauce dots that make the food great, great tasting food makes food great.

I also question the value of the meal. I ended up paying just a little over £40 for a 3 course meal with coffee for two. Considering that for just a few more quid you could get a 3 course set lunch deal in London at many Michelin star level places, this doesn't sound like a great deal at all, considering the quality of food.

If you decide to go to this restaurant seduced by pretty photos on this page, do lower your expectations to avoid disappointment. Whilst the presentations are nice, you won’t find Noma, Faviken or the Ledbury level cooking here. It’s simply some basic cooking with a lot of make-up applied to it.

5  Thank Oaty_B
Odeta N, Public Relations Manager at Uoksas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hi,

before writing a review on Tripadvisor about Uoksas, You would see a warning that this time, this place is temporarily closed. On Facebook page You also had to see the announcement about Uoksas moving to a new location. And therefore You did not find the info about the address and the possibility of reservation. In old building works no longer Uoksas creative team, You have visited and tasted not Uoksas dishes, so your response is inadequate.

Uoksas Team

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Me and my friends went to Uoksas to have some food.
I would recommend to everyone, who is into extraordinary food, it looked like art in the plate and tasty was amazing, Next trip I will come again. Service was pleasant and very nice. Do try this place and extraordinary food. Thank you for having us.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

It all started with numerous rumours from friends and relatives that there's one restaurant in Lithuania that needed a visit - Uoksas. Rumours said that chefs are someone passionate about the food and it all came down to the top class result. OK, so we went. It promised a lot when chef sent it's greetings from kitchen with butter baked potato with some catfish caviar. For entree we had selection of cheeses and duck soup - didn't surprise at all (for the value). Soup was really simple with few pieces of duck - not something you'd expect from a top class restaurant. Selection of cheeses - OK I'll add some points that these are from eco farm in Lithuania (went nicely with a glass of Malbec & Nikka while waiting for main course). For main course we've ordered venison & beef steak. Venison - wonderful, really well cooked and taste was amazing. Compliments to the chef for cooking skills. Unfortunately it all came down to the same old beef steak - disappointment. I asked for medium/well cooked and result was surprisingly disappointing. I got everything apart from medium/well - raw in the middle, medium further down & well done at the end.

Good restaurant in Kaunas (probably on the the best ones in the city), but unfortunately it still doesn't live up to the standards of capital Vilnius:

Food - 3.5 our of 5
Service - Wonderful which deserved 5
Interior/atmosphere - 5
Price range - 3 (only because I could think at least 5 restaurants easily in Vilnius who serve better food for the same price range)

Will we visit again? Yes - only to ruin our past experience.

4  Thank mariannos