This was a birthday present from my other half yesterday..we live in Palanga Lithuania so going to a spa hotel in the same town might seem unusual, but I can say it was extremely relaxing.
Palanga itself is THE Seaside town of Lithuania..out of season population around 20,000, summer population 250,000. Season really gets going mid June and ends abruptly last few days of August. It is a very pleasant place to be with great beaches, walks,bicycle paths, forests, bars, cafes although out of season can be too quiet for some people. Not for me!
Our entrance to the hotel was not what I would call the most impressive, a young lady, but with what can only be described as Soviet mentality, took all details but when it came to credit card asked my wife to write down all credit card details including the CVV security code on the registation form. I have never been asked for that anywhere in the world, and neither has my wife, so she said no. This was met with a statement of " this is our new policy following some issues with mini-bar bills in summer". Given that a few years ago this hotel had a well reported scandal with one or two staff members scanning credit cards, I could not understand the logic. Swipe the card and block off a sum like all other hotels in the world do!! This made me very uneasy, and I think it would most clients, even those who were not aware of the scandal. They clearly need to find another system, and just because it is their system, it does not make it right (or even legal in my view).
However the room was pleasant, light and warm, if a little small, but had a nice balcony. Bathroom was nice but was suffering a very minor bout of black fungus around the bath which you dont expect in a five star hotel.
My wife had booked a package which included one night with dinner and breakfast, use of the sauna and pool facilities and back massage each. The Spa facilities are wonderful, we enjoyed the saunas, jacuzzi, steam baths..sadly the pool was not working that day. The massage was fantastic too...really good, we both knew afterwards that we really had just receieved a high quality massage. The staff in the Spa were excellent.
Dinner was lonely (we were the only people there!) in a great aircraft hangar of a room, and the surroundings are not cozy or conducive to a romantic dinner, but the food was fresh and tasty and well prepared. The package gave us a choice of 4 starters, two mains course and 3 deserts. The choice was not so well thought out, cabbage soup, herring (OK if you like it) chicken salad and some interesting concoction with organge "filet"..so we both went chicken. Main course was chicken or Salmon, both went chicken and desert was icecream. As I said, it was all fresh and tasty and good, but little more imagination on choice may be better. Wine cheapest bottle was euro 26 which is what we took..prices after that got crazy. Waitress was pleasant and smiley, although clearly in a hurry to get us out as she wanted to go home..bothered? I always go slower when that happens.. :))
Breakfast was very tasty, and somehow more appropriate in the huge room than dinner.
All in all, a pretty good experience with a couple of drawbacks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Vanagupe is a premium quality property based in Palanga, the most popular resort of the Lithuanian Baltic Seacoast. This luxurious five-star hotel offers business and family-friendly accommodation purpose built to facilitate both business and leisure travellers. Each hotel room has a plush and sumptuous interior design and of course all rooms enjoy a full range of luxury facilities and are equipped with Internet access. The hotel boasts one of the largest and most up to the minute conference centres in the entire country. Our conference suite features 7 well appointed conference / banqueting rooms providing ample space for up to 700 people. The hotel also offers a spacious Health and Wellness Centre. Our facilities include a pool, gym, saunas, Jacuzzi and massage section. We also offer a wide range of beauty and relaxation treatments for our guests. During summer time guests are welcome to enjoy our outdoor tennis and basketball courts or to take a bicycle ride on the seaside forest paths. Also you'll find plenty of tasty dining options in the hotel restaurant which offers 87 seats. Dishes are prepared in the restaurant’s kitchen, using highest quality ingredients, in accordance with the traditions of classical European cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Vanagupe Hotel Conference and SPA Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vanagupe Hotel Conference And Spa Palanga
- Vanagupe Hotel Conference Center