“Really Lovely and Remarkable Boutique Hotel, Wonderfully Unexpected!!!”

Boutique Hotel Grotthuss
Ranked #39 of 88 Hotels in Vilnius
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just to start off - I was born and raised in New York City and I am well traveled.

I had no specific expectations upon arriving at the Grotthuss Hotel. I like to travel off-the-beaten-track and love to really see a city's culture (rather than just staying at a consistent chain hotel or enduring the almost always horrendous resort experience). Nonetheless, I also appreciate a certain amount of luxury and a well-run and maintained business when staying at local accommodations.

Grotthuss Hotel surpassed my expectations. My room was somewhat small but quite aesthetically pleasing and well equipped. The bathroom was spacious and beautiful. The light, balcony and skylights lovely, fresh fruit basket, incredible bedding (immediately after leaving Grotthuss I stayed at a supposedly comparable hotel in London with horrific bedding and none of Grotthuss' amenities).

The Grotthuss staff was super professional and informed (at times seemingly reserved (cultural) but over time chatted with us) and were so kind and resourceful! The hotel restaurant boasts wonderful food and a incredibly professional waiter who really knows his stuff! After a few days of touring the city he chatted with us more intensely, recommended a superb wine and affirmed an idea for a dinner restaurant we'd scouted.

Also, in my ultimate dreams, the breakfast buffet at the Grotthuss Hotel will be there when I wake up for the rest of my life. I have stayed at really luxury places a few times and I have to say, this buffet was so much more spectacular quality-wise in comparison.

If you love a spread of brown breads, croissants, natural cereals and granolas, un-industialized fruits and vegetables, yogurts and dairy products, incredibly fresh fish and cured meats etc, this is the spread for you!!!

My dreams are honestly still haunted by this breakfast that was included for us everyday. There is no way I could re-create this in New York.

This is a wonderful little hotel, in a wonderful little old city and country, with an extensive and intense past, COMPLETELY worth visiting. I cant wait to come here again and THANK YOU Grotthuss Hotel staff, Vilnius and Lithuania! I am happy that I visited this town to walk the streets my great- grandmother walked as a girl.

Room Tip: Loved our room on top floor with balcony overlooking old courtyard!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Andrea M
There are newer reviews for Boutique Hotel Grotthuss

Reviewed 15 March 2014

The room was very small. There are not space for the second bedside table! Bad room service. Room was dirty. There was not free bottle of water. For our request to bring a bottle of water we had answer: "You can drink water from the tap"! There is very nice place for breakfast! Good location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Andrzej_S950
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This hotel was absolutely gorgeous! Every room was unique! The bathroom was splendid. Very clean hotel. The food in the restaurant was also fantastic! The bed was very comfortable! There was an elevated small dining table connected to a wonderful balcony overlooking the garden. Fantastic hotel. Service was top notch attending to us from check in to check out. Had an issue with the bathtub not draining and they fixed it immediately and without making a mess. very polite staff. The room had two sunroofs that i opened during the night to let the breeze in. Beautiful hotel! Location was superb. We were able to take a walking tour of the many beautiful churches and local architecture. Very reasonably priced as well. Wonderful hotel and city,

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed in the Grotthus for four nights in early January. On the whole we thought it was a very good hotel at its price point. The room was generously sized and in very good condition. It was cosy and warm, and the temperature could be controlled by adjusting the radiator and opening the window if need be. The highlight of our stay there were the staff members, particularly the reception staff who were some of the most professional and attentive we have encountered on our travels. All spoke excellent English and helped us in numerous ways. Location wise, the hotel is a pleasant five minute stroll from the Town Hall in the heart of the Old Town, and St. Casimir's church; a lot of the nicest restaurants and bars were in this area. The Grotthus is at the other end of the Old Town from the Cathedral and Castle - it's a very pleasant 15-20 minute walk. The only suggestions for improvement we would make are (a) the hotel lacks an elevator, which isn't great if you are on the third floor and have heavy luggage and (b) the breakfast buffet and hot menu were not the best we've seen. Overall however this is a terrific hotel which feels more like four star than three, especially in terms of service.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the second floor if you have heavy luggage!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Grotthuss is the opposite of a "business hotel", and that makles it totally lovely. An 18th century house, stuccoed high ceilings, beautiful carpets, old-fashioned tiled bathrooms with a tub, massive wooden furniture, a pretty little garden, very quiet yet well-located in the old town - it is like you would love your own home to look and feel. No plastic, no linoleum, no "cheap, but easy to clean" appointments.

An additional highlight is the breakfast. You can tell that it is prepared by someone who actually knows how to do exellent food. Warm bread, eggs made to order (if you like, with ingredients like shrimps or Italian herbs), local cheese specialties and on Saturday, there was red caviar even. All this not in massive amounts - the hotel has 20 rooms only -, but nicely served on 19th-century style porcelain.

I have a single complaint only. With everything else being so hospitable, I find it petty and bad style to charge an extra 5€ for in-room Internet use. But nonetheless Grotthuss is one of the two or three nicest 4-star hotels I've ever stayed in (and I travel quite a lot).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location, in the old town, yet quiet. I had booked a junior suite at 144€ per night. I moved after 2 nights, because the internet wasn't working (if you have to work, this is more than just annoying) to a room, where the internet worked fine. Apparently, the rooter cannot reach to all rooms (how about installing a second one?). Both rooms were very nice and cozy. However, from the first one you had no view, as its windows went onto a small street with a house just meters away. In both rooms the bathroom desperately need some more maintenance: Mold in the soap dispensers, the bath tub drained incredibly slowly in both rooms, also the drains were full of molds. The breakfast on the other hand was very very nice. Lots of very high quality food to chose from, arranged with great care, very clean and lovely linen table cloth and napkins. The young lady working there is very friendly, attentive and quick. So I am not sure whether I would recommend staying there - the not so clean bathrooms (with nice appliances, by the way) put me off. One good scrub and a plumber with appropriate tools would do - then repeat it after a few weeks!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I went to Vilnius for a conference and stayed 2 nights at an appartment (AirBnB) and 2 nights at Grotthuss Hotel. We wanted to spend the weekend with a bit more of confort and decided to switch to a hotel. We really regretted our decision.
The room was small and made us feel cramped. The reception desk was incompetent and didn't manage to work out our check-in. They asked 3 times for our card allegating it wasn't accepted. Of course it didn't work since they were trying to pass it without our pin number... I still can't believe it.
Last but not least, we ordered breakfast, waited for an hour (literally) and the waiter never showed up again. We left without breakfast.
I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple