“Wonderful Meal in Historic Town Hall Square”
Review of Kaerajaan

Kaerajaan
Ranked #43 of 928 Restaurants in Tallinn
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European, Scandinavian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Modern Estonian Cuisine in a middle of Medieval Old Town Tallinn
Orillia, Canada
“Wonderful Meal in Historic Town Hall Square”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

With about 2 hours before we had to board the ferry back to Helsinki, we decided to have a leisurely meal at a restaurant on the Town Hall Square instead of continuing to explore more of the lower town. After all, you can only appreciate so many towers, museums, ramparts, shops and churches. The cobble-stone square was ringed with restaurants so we asked our guide for a suggestion; she was "right on!" We could have eaten inside but opted instead for outdoor seating; the blankets provided on each chair were perfect and we were able to enjoy both lunch and people-watching. Rebecca - our friendly, efficient waitress - made every effort to answer questions about the 4 homemade soups and dozens of entrees. Bob, Marion, Doug and I decided to order each of the soups; the tomato with coriander was delicious. I also had the grilled salmon with parmesan risotto; the presentation was lovely! I'd order both the soup and the salmon again - it was a delicious, visually attractive meal. website: ---/phone: +-----

• Visited September 2011

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great modern Estonian cuisine”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I wanted to get my in-laws to try Elk meat which I had seen they had in Kaerjaan so I literally forced my wife and her parents to go here. All four of us ended up taking the Elk fillet and it was just amazingly good! Well worth to take should you decide to visit! The choice for starters and main courses was more than enough, there are however only 3 desserts available so that's something that could be improved. Seeing that I'm no sweet tooth myself I didn't really care. We did all of us end up having dessert at the end and I opted for a creme caramel with sea buckthorne jam. I really don't like all the different creme desserts but I was curious on the sea buckthorne and luckily for me since it turned out to be delicious even though it was more of a sauce than jam, again, well worth to take should you go for a dessert. Finally the staff, they were really attentive, friendly and helpful and they all spoke good English so you don't have to learn Estonian before coming...
Prices are not bad, we were 4 to take main course, dessert, beers and coffees and we ended up paying 110€ ,this for a restaurant on the most touristy place in the country. Note also that all of us took the Elk which was the second most expensive dish considering the meat. Compare to for example Fellini across the square who charged us the same but without the desserts and for food much less elaborated then here and for worse service.

• Visited September 2011
Portsmouth
“In my opinion this is the best restaurant in Tallinn square”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We had lunch here on the 30th August, I often use this restaurant when in Tallinn square, I love the square but most restaurants here are tourist 'food' traps, this is different you get delicious food and good service they really try hard to please. However they do over charge for drinks a pint of Saku will cost 4.80 euro, not cheap where as Leib will charge you 3 Euro for a pint and has great food, but here you are also paying for the view over the square.
Lunch was 41.80 Euro with tip 45 Euro.

• Visited August 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Yummy and lovely estonian food!”
Reviewed 3 September 2011

The most delicious food for both lunch and dinner.
We have gone there two days in a row as their modern cooking for estonian food was funky, creative and just tasty.
I recommend their traditional fried herring with black bread crumbs, you will not regret it!

Worth mentioning: their interior design is quite eyecatching and check out their restroom built inside of a chimney hi hi

• Visited July 2011
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“An accidental discovery very strongly recommended”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We reached Tallinn in the evening after a day of travelling with no fixed ideas on eating. We browsed the Town Square (constantly accosted by waiting staff from the various eating establishments). Kaerajaan offered a much more interesting menu than the others - and did not tout itself.

The food was delicious: the beers were tasty : blankets were produced when the evening became chillier. We think this is the best place to eat in the Town Square.

• Visited July 2011