“Drab and overpriced”
Review of Artemis - CLOSED

Artemis
Price range: US$4 - US$34
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We came from Greece to share our traditional food with you. Besides the excellent food experience, the Artemis tavern will offer you a taste of Greek hospitality and we can offer a glass of ouzo in a friendly atmosphere.
Tallinn
“Drab and overpriced”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Was hoping for great things from the Greeks here and the owners were helpful and polite but otherwise the experience was underwhelming. I hated the decor of the Harju St. establishment, all 1970s beige, poorly lit, just drab. Put some colourful Greek art on the walls...put some flowers on the tables...make some effort. If anywhere needs a woman's touch it is Artemis.
There is nothing on offer for the beer drinker except Saku's chemical swill (and bottled Carlsberg), which is unforgivable in Tallinn today. The cabernet sauvignon was a poor €8 version sold for €30. I associate Greek restaurants with huge fresh salads, tangy flavours and succulent meat but the salads were no more than limp garnishes and the meats all overcooked. My dry starter was OK but not worth €6 and to charge €12 for a 12x8 cm slice of moussaka with a tiny garnish is outrageous. The flavouring was primarily salt, and there was little evidence of all spice, oregano and thyme, although the cinnamon did just creep through. I have just checked the web and was surprised to see that Moussaka can be made with beef as I have only ever known it with lamb mince, but why would you use beef mince in a country known to have flavourless beef? I left wondering whether the owners were really Greek or just impersonating them.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank RevalRon
ILIASTallinn, Owner at Artemis, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Hello Mr or Mrs RevalRon,
I am reading your comment and i feel the need to answer in some things.

I will not stand to if you like the food or not. This is something obviously personal. But i have to comment also that you make some mistakes .
First of all the harju str beige is tottaly Greek and classic. The whole concept of the restaurant is 2 salas -2 different places of Greece. Islands and Village mountains. As a person that obviously never been to Greece i don't expect really to understand all this concept.
About the food now ,that is the most important for me. I would like to know if you like this that you ate or not. Just for your information i would like to tell you that inside moussaka there is NO OREGANO and THYME and of course NO CINNAMON(moussakas is not rizogalo{google it}) there is salt,pepper and NUTMEG. About the dimensions of the moussaka that you mentioned you need to add also the height 10 cm and the grams 320. So if you put all these together you see that it is a beautiful portion. I want to remind you that if you didn't like its your personal and only opinion that I respect.
In your question Why to use beef mince i will answer:
Because this is the traditional way to make the famous Greek moussaka.
As for if we are or not Greeks unfortunately we cannot prove it to you by internet.

Thank you again for your comment .
ILIAS NIOTIS

Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada
“Very good low-carb option in Old Town”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I'm writing a second review of this restaurant, in an effort to keep the information more up to date.

We ate about twice per week at Artemis during January/February 2012 and enjoyed it. We have come back to Tallinn 18 months later, and Artemis has changed locations. (We thought it had closed; we were thrilled to learn that it hadn't.)

I am pleased to report that Artemis continues to deliver what I want most: good meat, cheese, and salad. We eat low-carbohydrate food, which limits our options in many restaurants. Artemis offers a mixed plate for 2 or 3 people with a variety of meat, cabbage/carrot/onion salad, and french fries. We ask them to give us more salad instead of the fries, and they do this happily. We add to this an order of the Feta Artemis -- simple feta cheese with peppers in sauce -- and have a good-tasting, very satisfying, healthy (for us) meal for €40.

The new location (Harju 7) is bigger and more comfortable, but it keeps most of the decor elements from the old location (on Pikk, between Hell Hunt and the Meriton Garden Hotel). We were the only ones eating indoors -- everyone else ate on the patio just across the street -- but didn't feel uncomfortable. Our server treated us well, but we don't like non-stop over-the-top attention, so we like being left alone and being able to ask for anything as we need it.

If you insist on wine with dinner, then you need to like Greek wine, and willingly pay a slightly higher price. (The lowest bottle price I saw: €30) You could always eat first, then buy a bottle for €12 at the little shop at Pikk 11, just beside Clayhills Gastropub, about a 300 m walk away. If you'd prefer to buy at a specialty shop, there is a Finestwine shop not quite 100 m from Artemis, walking towards The Square.

• Visited August 2013
Badhoevedorp
“Delicious mousaka”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Nice restaurant, with great food and good atmosphere.
I recommend the mousaka with the greek bread and tzatziki.
The waiters were friendly and the location nearby the centre ( but not in the bussy parts) was perfect.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank DvS1996
ILIASTallinn, Owner at Artemis, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Hello,
We would like to thank you for your kind words.
We will always care about the quality and the taste of our food and as our logo says ''the secret is in the taste''. Thank you again for your comment.
Artemis Administration
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Modest fare at not so modest prices”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Very modest food, apart from some delicious aubergine in oil (melitzanes imam if I remember correctly) as one of three starters shared with two colleagues from work. We also had some patates furnu (roast potato slices in a tangy sauce) and some garlic pita bread, that were just average.
We couldn’t decide on a main course and went with the waitress’s suggestion of a grilled meat platter for three persons. At €45 this was both poor value and not very good. There were three decent beef patties, two pieces of grilled pork (I was too slow and my colleagues grabbed them), a couple of pieces of chicken and some sausage. The French fries were supplemented by more mediocre patates furnu and some non descript salad. Not knowing Greek wine, we again followed the waitress’s suggestion but paid €32 for a very average red wine.
Given other positive reviews, we were either very unlucky or chose unwisely but then we did follow the house suggestions. Just felt very disappointed.
This restaurant is a bit off the old town town tourist track but still quite central. While other restaurants were quite full, Artemis had just a few tables occupied and I can't see that changing.

• Visited May 2013
Moscow, Russia
“a great place for family gatherings”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We were invited to a birthday party at this restaurant. I liked everything: nice and homely atmosphere, interior with Greek motifs, great food and huge portions. I advise you to book a table at the window with sweeping views of the Museum Niguliste

• Visited April 2013