Park Inn by Radisson Meriton Conference & Spa Hotel Tallinn
leicester
“NICE HOTEL BUT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Nice Hotel But
we had a room in the new part of the hotel,the room was moden but small , not many coat hangers just 6, the bed was vey comforotbul, know to the bathroom 2x bath towel 2 x hand towel the toletries , very in depeners on for hand basin on for the bath not whot you expcet in a 4 star hotel.the breakfast ok but mothing speicel no pastries etc , bacom eggsa chees and some cold meats and frite , could be bettre. the feture of the hotel is the spa it was great , but on the down side you had to bring you towel for the bathroom to use or pay 1 euro 50 each time which seems mad when you are a hotel guest

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights for a solo cultural trip to the medieval city of Tallinn, and my experience is that this hotel is a very good option.

Check-in was a breeze but check-out took quite some time as there were several arrivals at the same time, I guess they could have increased their staff at the desk at such a time, as it took me half an hour and I was afraid of missing the bus to the airport.

My room was not particularly large, but was more than sufficient for just one person. I had a double bed, a ceiling-to-floor window which overlooked a construction site - not a particularly sexy view, but I didn't come to sit on my popka and look out the window anyway..hopefully! The airconditioning is excellent though - the individual control lets you set it as low as 14°C or so, and the sound insulation is great, so sleeping well was no problem at all!
There is of course a minibar which I didn't use, and a 'tempting' bottle of water at 5 € outside it - daylight robbery even here, as you can find the same bottle in any shop at a fifth of the price or less.
The bathroom door creaked a bit, and there is a bathtub here *sigh* but otherwise the bathroom is ok.
This room is in the newly added wing, and I assume these rooms are the best ones by far. The wall mounted LCD TV has several channels, many of them german speaking.
As far as I noticed the room wasn't vacuumed too well before my arrival, as there was some dust on it, which I probably wouldn't have noticed if the floor wasn't made of wood. But during my stay they remained there as well, so they may only make the bed and change towels..even if you hang them up to re-use.

The breakfast area they use for serving is quite large as they join two of the restaurants together at this time, but it is almost chaotically busy (perhaps not a surprise with 465 rooms), but the variety offered isn't as much as I had expected. Everything seems to have been cloned, so you get a sense of dejá vu when you walk around, trying to get an overview over what's on offer. I got at least some cereals, bread, meat, juice and tea. They have some warm offerings as well but that is not normally up my alley.

There are four restaurants on the premises, but they are mostly more expensive compared to the many interesting offerings in and around the old town. There is Balalaika, a Russian restaurant, Tapas bar - naturally spanish, Asian Wok & Grill, and Bistroo Mary. In addition there is Cafe Mademoiselle, lobby and piano bar.

And in addition to all this, there is a big spa with a fitness centre attached to it, which even has group fitness classes such as the ones I follow back at home! I attend a Body Pump class and hope to join a Body Combat class but there are too few people signed up for this one so it gets cancelled..

In a hotel as big as this, I don't expect to feel like 'part of the family' but more like 'part of the factory' yet on a couple of occasions I get friendly greetings, which I appreciate of course.

Tallinn is a very nicely preserved and wholly medieval city - within the city walls everything is more or less genuine, including ye olde food in some places.

For a trip outside the old town, Kadriorg and Pirita are recommended, if the weather is good. There are nice walking possibilities as well as an old monastery and places to eat out at Pirita, making it for a good combo-out-of-town-visit.

Public transport is cheap, but buying tickets in newsstands is cheaper than on the transport itself. A 24h ticket is 4 € while 3 and 5 day tickets are 6 and 7 € respectively.

Would I go back to Tallinn? Yes I would like to. And would I stay at this hotel again? Yes, possibly so!

Room Tip: The good rooms are in the new wing!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Just come back from a 5 night stay at the Meriton Grand Conference & Spa Hotel in Tallin and in my opinion this is the best hotel in Tallin - a ten minute walk up and down a hill to Freedmon Square/Palace Square where all the pubs and restaurants lie.
A special mention to the Consierge who was absolutely fantastic and arranged everything for us.
We went on a trip to a local open air museum of how things were in Tallin some year ago.
Ask for a room facing outwards in the new part of the Hotel - we stayed in Room 7068 which I can recomend
Dont drink in the bars in Palace square as they charged me 6euros for just over 1/2 pint - try the Dubliners for cheap food and drinks or Patricks just around the corner

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Halden, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Friendly staff, excellent service, good breakfast with multiple choices of food and cold/warm drinks, and nice and clean rooms.

The Hotel has several Restaurant, we tried the Asian and the Spanish. We prefered the Asian food :)

The spa and the poolarea was realy nice. We had spa-treatments for one day, and everyone enjoyed. The pool-area was used a lot by our kids during our stay.

In walkingdistance to the old town, where a wisit to the restaurant "Olde Hansa" is a must :)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

We got the Hansabuss, at two euro per person, from the airport to the hotel door. The hotel is a five minute walk from Toompea Castle and a ten minute walk from the Old Town. Our suite was large, clean and comfortable and had a good view of Toompea. Hotel staff were friendly, helpful and spoke English.

Our only issue concerned the Spa staff who were efficient but not very friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

To begin, the location of MGCSH can't be beat if you do not want to stay in Old Town Tallinn, which is not necessary since MGCSH is literally a five minute walk to the Toompea Castle and a ten minute walk to the Old Town shops. (Overall, visitors can walk all of Old Town wherever they are in the city.) It has its own bus stop on the transit map "Hotel Tallinn" and is conveniently located next to bus lines that will easily take you on a short trip to the city center on the 40 or link you to additional lines to take you to Pirita Beach, which I recommend. Just ask the helpful, attractive, multilingual reception staff at the front desk for a map of the entire transportation system to get yourself positioned and ready to travel. (I'll get to the transportation system later in this review.)

We booked our rooms early using Trip Advisor and a couple of other online websites for comparison, so if you know you're going to Tallinn early, book early. We got our standard room for roughly $105/night (currency conversion included) in the first week in August, though I stress to book early. In short, what we paid was a steal for the room and hotel.

The hotel itself is modern, clean, and has many restaurants on-site, though the only one we tried was the Cafe that has great lattes (though it comes out of a machine and is not made by hand) and pastries for good prices. I recommend the cinnamon roll with chocolate drizzled on top. My sister said that the workout facility is great, which is free throughout the entire day, and she's quite the critic when it comes to hotel workout spaces.

The single-sex Finnish sauna and co-ed steam room are new and well-kept along with the shower facilities in the locker room. The indoor pool is immaculate, tranquil, and beautiful. The sauna, locker room, and pool are free in the mornings until 11:00 a.m. with a standard room overnight stay, though it would have been nicer to have them at no charge later in the day because it's best to take sauna before dinner in the afternoon (according to our Finnish friends and personal experience).

The hotel breakfast was the best of the hotels in which we stayed in both Finland and Estonia. I'm a vegetarian, and I walked away satisfied and full every day. The scrambled eggs were fluffy and not watery; the croissants were good along with the Estonian-style mini-pancakes, and the in-season tomatoes were delicious. For meat-eaters I saw bacon, some cold fish options, and possibly sausage. The coffee was delicious along with the orange juice, and the breakfast also provided various breads, cheeses, yogurts, cereals, and fruits. All in all, it was a great breakfast, and the service staff bussed the many, many tables promptly and efficiently.

The service we received was impeccable; reception staff members greeted us as we came in with genuine smiles. They answered the many questions I had about the transportation system and gave me a wake-up call when needed. At check-out, they split the hotel bill onto two credit cards without a problem, and they called for one of the hotel-owned cabbies to take us to Terminal D to catch our ferry back to Helsinki.

The standard room met our needs, and the blankets on the beds were inspired by traditional Estonian weavings that were explained in a sign on the wall, a nice added touch. It's a simple room with clean lines and dark shades that when pulled shut make the entire room black (a needed bonus if the late-night twilights in Finland and Estonia will keep you up.) The beds were comfortable, and the wireless worked well. We requested an iron and ironing board, and the housekeeping staff brought us one. Above all, the room was quiet, so if you're looking for a good night's sleep, stay here.

My only complaint about our entire stay is that our bathroom smelled a bit, but maybe the smell came from the drains in the bathroom. I am not persnickety about cleanliness, but the bathroom floor could have benefitted from some bleach and a mop to get rid of the smell, though it was visibly clean.

In short, I definitely recommend this place for the aforementioned reasons.

Onto the transportation system and Tallinn: in short, it's easy and cheap to use if you have a system map and know how to navigate a typical bus system in the U.S. To get from Terminal D to the hotel, you can take a trolley (maybe the #2) to Viru Keskus, the city center, and then take the 40 bus to MGCSH, though double check me using the system map. You can buy one-time tickets on board the bus, though going from Terminal D to the hotel will cost you two tickets in total, one for each leg of the two legs of the trip. You can take a cab to the hotel from Terminal D, but be careful not to get scammed. Legit cabs have their rates posted on the window, and they're easy to understand. When I was in Tallinn, tickets for mass transit were 1.60E when purchased on the bus, though you can get them at any of the yellow and blue kiosks that you'll see around town for 1E each, or you can purchase a 24-hour ticket for 4E. When you leave the hotel, I recommend taking a hotel-owned cab from MGCSH to Terminal D using one of the hotel-owned cabs, and it was 6E for two people.

Room Tip: Book early, and request a room on the most newly renovated side.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank OhioKyle
Tampere, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

This hotel is an overbookers/ overseller and has a custom of sending part of their clients to a near-by hostel without reasonable compensation. Not even a paid reservation guarantees You a room.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mari K

Travellers are raving about these Tallinn hotels