“Small room but good location”

Meriton Old Town Garden Hotel
Ranked #37 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The standard single room was very small but It's absolutely not a problem since the hotel is located in the heart of Old Town and you don't spend any time other than night in the room anyway. Everything is clean, staff is friendly and helpful, breakfast is nice.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank AndreyS74

Reviewed 14 October 2011

I stayed here in May for 4 nights, but have just seen now that this hotel is rating itself as a 4 star, I think it was 3 and a half star when I stayed there. The location is absolutely perfect, we had a room overlooking the street but it wasn't noisy. Some issues with the design of the room like previous reviewers, it is very small and a bit cramped. I also think they could clean the room better, found an old sock under the bed. Providing some milk for the tea and coffee would also be a nice touch.My main issue though was with the breakfast, I would rate this as 2 star at best. I had read on previous reviews before I stayed in the hotel that there were pastries pancakes etc, there were not. There was only 2 types of cheap bread, white and rye. the cereal choice was very limited and I thought the hot food was inedible. the orange juice was watered down. It was all cheap and horrible to be honest. With a bakey on site you think the hotel could at least provide some fresh pastries. I breakfasted at various times so it wasn't like the food wasn't being replenished.It was worth staying in for the location though and found the food in other Tallinn restaurants to be very good in general.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This hotel is beautifully decorated, high class finish, very clean, heated bathroom floors, gorgeous dining room BUT our room was TINY!!! If small does not bother you then this place is awesome as the staff are super-friendly and helpful and it is very centrally located. 5/10 mins walk to most of the sights within the City walls. The entrance on Pikk Street (via a cake shop) was nigh on impossible to find so stick to Lai Street entrance! There was a bit of noise on Saturday night but being a city centre then that's no surprise. The breakfast buffet was really lovely - hot selection, cold selection, breads, pancakes, various drinks etc. Tallinn is a beautiful, wonderful, fairytale city - would highly recommend to all!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Room 406 ( facing the inner courtyard of the pretty hotel): for 2 persons, kind of small, tight space and very clean (free wifi).Bathroom - decent size,very clean, all needed things were there (towels, toilet paper, hair-dryer, soaps, shampoo..). The included breakfast is good and there is variety. The location is amazing,you are right in the middle of all interesting things, 1 min away of the town square. Some people may care for the fair amount of stairs involved depending on where your room is located, but there is an elevator on one side of the hotel.
They have a nice Cafe with nice coffee and cakes they bake there. I liked them.
You can enjoy as a guest (free of charge) the sauna and spa amenities from the Meriton spa and conference hotel (the sister hotel of this one).I did!
I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Look carefully at the room description so you'll be happy in the end since the rooms have differ...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

A very new hotel with character and just 2 minutes from the Old Town square. What's not to like? Plenty unfortunately. Booked here for 3 nights and I booked a standard room for 1 person. I was given a room with a very small foyer and bathroom on the first floor and needed to climb a steep 16 step staircase to reach the bed. Far too steep to bring my luggage up so I basically had to take up what I needed. Worse, there was no table on the ground floor so to go through my luggage I had to either balance it on the radiator or leave it on the floor. The most ludicrous design of a room I think I have ever seen. The prospect of going up and down that damn staircase every time I needed to use the bathroom or wanted to get something out of my luggage was not welcome. I switched after one night to another room which was very small but at least there was carpeting and the bathroom was on the same floor. Even in that room the bathroom the sink was extremely tiny (I've seen children's playhouses with larger sinks) and a shelf above the sink jutted out so far that I had to twist my neck at an awkward angle just to rinse my face. The bedsheets wrapped loosely around the foam mattress pad over the mattress so they were constantly coming undone every time I turned over during the night. And for heaven's sake, build a ridge around the shower on the floor so the water from the shower doesn't flow across the bathroom floor unimpeded. Again, everything was new and shiny and completely unfunctional. The breakfast was good, the staff was not overly friendly but pleasant enough but unfortunately I was as uncomfortable in this hotel as any I can remember in recent memory. Again, high level of style but totally uncomfortable as a place to stay. Was extremely happy to check out after 3 nights.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Jakerson
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights. Hotel is lovely. Staff very friendly. Location is 1 minute walk from town square. Could not ask for more except maybe a safe in the room, but saying that there is very little crime here.

Would highly recommend this hotel and Estonia/Tallinn is a wonderful place.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Tromshi
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This hotel was very nice in a great location, walking distance to Tallinn center. We had a large room on the top floor. The first night, our window was facing out on the same side as a bar and a hostel. There was a lot of noise and eventually a fight broke out around 2 am. The next morning I asked to be moved because I would not be able to stand another night like that! I was moved to another room facing the common garden area which was much better! The breakfast was fantastic with a lot of selection and everything was fresh and delicious. The only complaint I have is that we were originally put on the 5th floor and there is NO elevator! If you have difficulties with walking stairs, I would definetly ask to be put in a room that does not require as many steps. Otherwise, I recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family