“First impression- I wanna go home”
Review of Hostel Tallinn

Hostel Tallinn
Hostel Tallinn
Ranked #79 of 112 Speciality Lodging in Tallinn
Croatia
“First impression- I wanna go home”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

As I stated in the title, when we came to hostel Tallin, my first idea and thought was that I want to go away from there.

As we had been on the road for a week already, this hostel was the worst one we'd had so far (although we paid the same price as we were paying in other hostels).
The guy at the reception was ok, although I had impression that he forces himself to be kind.

He took us to our room on the 5th floor and the hall area seemed like we were in a prison. Everything grey and parts of the wall were run down.
The room was not so bad...hmm..how to explain. Some things are refurbished and you can see that they are new, for instance walls and doors are newly painted, windows are new, but floor is full of "holes" or slopes under the carpet. I stumbled down constantly walking on that floor. There was some strange atmosphere, gloomy, I really didn't feel so pleasant there.
The room was clean but when I came to the bathroom, I was shocked. Firstly, it smelt but I didn't realize at once what it was. Then I saw that somebody urinated in the shower bath. That must have been urine beacuse it really smelled like that and it had such colour. I washed it away with a shower and the smell disappeared so I was right.
I could not understand that! Why to urinate there if you have a toilet!!! I know that the staff is not responsible for that but the bathroom was not clean generally. We stayed there for three days and the first two days nobody cleaned the batroom. And the same bathroom is shared among 5 rooms! I tried to avoid the batroom as much as I could, which is such a shame.
Then, there was no waste bin, neither in the bathroom nor in the room. Then I spotted one in the hall. So all the rooms had to throw away the rubbish in the same, quite small, bin!
The hall was pretty stinky too.
Second thing, the room was quite noisy because it had a view to the noisy street full of traffic. When we closed the window it was very hot and if we opened it we couldn't sleep because of traffic.
Third thing, the door room had glass -they are glass doors so you don't have enough privacy. The glass is transcedentally but sitll you can see silhouette and light in the hall at night ( so when somebody comes late at night you hear and see everything.
Luckily, the hostel, better said people there were quiet, there wasn't some partying.
During the night there is nobody at the reception, even early in the morning you cannot find anybody.So if something happens you don't have anybody to turn to. The reception is closed and you only have a password to enter the hostel after midnight. They consider it safe enough, so there is no necesity that a receptionist is there. I have never seen such a thing!
When we wanted to check out, which was 9 a.m. there was nobody at the reception and some new guest was there waiting for somebody. Then we found the lady on the third floor and we checked out. And I must praise her. She gave positive impression to general opinion. I paid her for three nights. Then she ran after me because she checked and realized that the stay was already charged through my credit card (which I didn't know, I only reserved the room and then you pay 10% but I did not know that they took me the whole amount without my knowledge.
So the lady was honest and I appreciate that. But only the lady! The rest, no comment!
The good thing is a big kitchen and a fridge where you can eat and keep your food.

The location is not so good, it is 25 minutes on foot to the old town but it is opposite the bus station (this is the most positive thing).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GabyCroatia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Poland
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My experience with Hostel Tallin is VERY bad. I booked a bed in a six bed dorm using hostelworld, site charged 10% so I was expecting to pay about 11 euro in the hostel. Lady at the reception couldn't find my reservation in the system (it happened to me for the first time), she said they got some problems with hostelworld, they don't even have six bed dorms (!!!), and all she can offer to me is 4 bed dorm for 15 euro. I said that I don't care about their problems, and to be fair she should offer me a bed for the price on the reservation. I obviously didn't care about this 3 or 4 euros, just about the rule. She said she don't care as well and if I only want - i can go somewhere else (it was during the easter and all hostel were booked full). So I agreed with her, and paid. She took me to the 4 bed dorm, but it was full. She was thinking for a while, and then she took me to the... six bed dorm! Yes, the nonexistent one!!! I just couldn't stop laughing. To be perfectly honest - everything else apart from service was very good - the hostel was very clean, furniture was brand new, bed was very comfortable, location was perfect for me - short walk from the airport (20 minutes) and from the city centre (25 minutes). Sadly - the service is absolutely disqualifying for me, I wouldn't recommend this hostel to anyone, in addition it's quite expensive comparing to others in the city.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank DashPL

Travellers are raving about these Tallinn hotels