“fun students party hostel”
Review of The Dancing Eesti

The Dancing Eesti
Ranked #90 of 119 Speciality Lodging in Tallinn
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I am a local and have used the dancing eesti many times with different university groups, this place is a very YOUNG PERSON oriented hostel. It seems a lot of reviews on here are negative of late but I have been here in summer and in winter and have only positive thoughts. The location can not be beaten as it is in the safe area of the old city in a secure location only 50m from the town hall. All rooms have locks and lockers which I find important and the hostel also has cameras. The corridors are all winding and it gives the hostel a more alternate look and it has a lot of common area space
Tallinn has many hostels but this hostel is one of the few that I have used that is cosy and with an atmosphere, it is aimed at students and younger folk so older people might find it noisy. They have a little old hostel bar that is open on weekends and is the cheapest place in the old town to drink, my university uses it for event hire every now and again. It serves beer, cider and many shots and cocktails and it is a nice meeting point for guests.
Staff are the best thing about the hostel as they love tallinn and it shows whenever you need help, even for a local
The prices they have a really cheap and unfortunatley this is where I think it is a negative. They have private rooms which are half price to most hostels and sometimes dorm beds for around 5 euros, the owner told me that the reason for this was to bring and help budget long term travellers and people who are real backpackers with stories to tell but ironiclly it brings in large groups of spanish guests who do not socialise with others or people who can not afford a hotel and believe they are entitled to a hotel for under 11 euros a night. The plus being that apart from these few problems most guests are students on erasmus through winter and in summer people on the long backpacking trail. Since october 2012 the hostel has had major renovation which included new bathrooms and floor, ceilings and staircases to make the appearance more appealing.

As most people know, trip advisor is a place for mostly disgruntled customers, after reading some of these reviews I thought its only fair to give a review from my times at this hostel.

And ask staff about how to get into the secret old town tunnels which are closed off to the public and hidden away, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: ask for one of the room with a balcony or the newly renovated private rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 January 2013

I booked a stay in the sleeeping maris, which is the sister hostel of the dancing eesti (they are essentially in the same building compound). Since there isn't a separate page for the sleeeping maris, I shall review it here. I chose the sleeeping maris over the dancing eesti because it was supposed to be more quiet (the dancing eesti is located nearer to the bar and ground level).

Price-wise, it was quite cheap. Everything else was disastrous, in my humble opinion. I am not a fussy traveller at all, but the standards here were not even "acceptable". The whole building itself looked like it was going to collapse. The walls were old and there were many cracks in them. The toilets were not well-maintained and the rooms were run-down. The heater in the room worked intermittently and I don't recall any heating in the bathroom/shower room! Moreover, I couldn't tell if the bed linen was clean, or whether they simply reused it after the last guest left. The pathway and stairs leading to the main lobby was very old, run-down and not well-lit, giving the whole place a very uneasy feeling. The carpark (which one HAS to cross to get in and out of the main gate) was filled with lots of snow and ice which wasn't cleared or maintained in any way, making the road seriously slippery and dangerous.

The bar was inaccessible and run-down, and very few people would frequent it. Besides, they only had a small selection of beer available and no liquor/cocktails.

I tried to sign up for tours through them, but it was really difficult as they couldn't even coordinate a group in order to book a tour (most tours require a minimum number of people and I was travelling alone).

When I was staying there, my mobile phone charger was stolen. I asked the staff for help but they didn't give me any help or advice. They refused to take any responsibility and didn't even offer me any suggestions.

I had a group of friends from France who stayed in this same hostel 2 months after me, and they had much worse things to say about this place than me.

Please do yourself a favour and avoid this place like the plague. The hostel may have shifted or the building renovated since then, but I wouldn't take the risk.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Whilst this may be the cheapest, this is definitely not the best hostel in Tallinn. In fact, it is easily the worst hostel I've ever stayed in, and I've stayed in dozens. It's hard to know where to start, as there were so many things not to like about this hostel... perhaps if i just list them in no particular order, here goes -

* Very old and run down place, holes in wall, etc.
* Crazy old men staying there, one of which was smoking a cigar in the reception area (despite the no smoking signs).
* Another had a preference for slamming doors and yelling if anyone dare enter the bedroom after 11pm.
* Another one of these old loonies knocked on the main entry door at 4am for about 15 mins, until I finally let him in (as the hostel staff who were meant to be on shift but had fallen asleep). Turns out he had come back to fetch his lunch which he'd left in the fridge.
* The upstairs common area was a dump - mess and rubbish everywhere. Good luck getting a game of pool, there were empty beer bottles and general mess all over the table.
* Bed linnen thread bare
* Beds packed into rooms (mine at least, others were better) like sardines, barely any floor space, probably a fire safety hazard.
* Bathroom floor flooded with water (as in a couple cm deep).
* Not enough showers for the number of people staying there, takes ages to get a shower.
* No soap in bathrooms
* Incredibly noisy location, English bucks parties going on outside, very hard to get any decent sleep here.

I could probably go on, but I think this give you a fair idea of what this place is like. One of few good points is the location (putting aside the night time noise) - it's very central and within the old town walls so great for getting to the main sites. And to be fair, a couple of the staff members were doing the best they could with what little they had to work with.

IMPROVEMENT SUGGESTIONS:
Don't let crazy old men stay there - put in an age limit. Seeing these men who should probably be in a retirement home or psychiatric hospital is very off-putting and a real mood killer. The place is being treated like a homeless shelter cause it's just too cheap - put the prices up by a couple of euros and spend the extra income on improving the facilities! This place has alot of potential, but is currently a long long way off being a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are much better than upstairs (less cramped).
Reviewed 12 July 2012

really fun and cool hostel. everything was easy, staff were great. the bar is really cool

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My self and 6 friends booked 4 nights in The Sleeping Maris and had an amazing time. We managed to mess our booking up and arrived 4 days later than expected but regardless of this the staff helped us out and gave us a place to stay. I would go as far as to say this hostel completely made our trip and Birgit the young girl who works at the hostel showed us around Tallinn and came partying with us every night/day which was fantastic. I would recommend this hostel to anyone who wants to party and have a crazy time I know I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Tallinn now.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

The Dancing Eesti is simply one of the best Hostels I've ever stayed in. The hostel itself has so much character, with all the facilities you need - big kitchen, common room, pool table, chilled-out basement bar. It's location is slap-bang in the middle of the Old Town. The hostel has a special atmosphere and I think this is mainly due to the fantastic staff. Particularly Eva and Birgit who were so, so lovely. They made us feel very welcome, they showed off their beautiful city to us, showed us the best of the nightlife, took us to the market, even cooked for us!! They were the perfect hosts...real gems and made our entire trip. I would recommend this hostel to anyone, both in groups and traveling alone, just be prepared to socialise and have a ridiculous amount of fun. I will be back for sure.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

From the moment we arrived at the Dancing Eesti we were made to feel welcome, the staff were amazing! We partied with them every night constantly and they couldn't have been more fun, helpful or friendly! They showed us Tallinn, they showed us everything and they got it spot on.

We genuinely enjoyed our trip and would not have changed a thing. The location was great, the staff were great as was the hostel itself (clean, comfortable and places to chill). I would challenge anyone who gave this place a bad review and would recommend it to anyone. All you have to do is talk to the staff and they will bend over backwards to make your trip as fun and as comfortable as you want it to be!

We will definately be back :)

James, Paul, Mo, Jon and Horror face!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends