“We didn't even bother to stay..:” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bossanova

Bossanova
Ranked #714 of 902 Restaurants in Tallinn
“We didn't even bother to stay..:”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

"We made a reservation to bossanova for two for new years eve.. I'm a waitress myself, and it struck me as odd that they let me choose the table, okay not that part yet but the fact that i kept asking the waiter "well don't you need my name?" And "you don't write this down?" .Well he didn't and when we came we had no reservation, well, i still kept thinking it's okay, there's plenty of room. When we sat down, we sat there for a really, really long time. no one came to say hi or ask for drinks. Then we heard another finnish couple complain about the food, no taste and it was cold! The lady next to us kept adding salt into the food and i could tell she was furious... So i said to my boyfriend let's go, we are going somewhere else where the staff wants to serve us. Best decision ever!"

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Had worse...but not much!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

Admittedly this was a Monday night and we were one of the few people actually venturing out on a very cold Monday evening. We should have known better though when we went into the restaurant and were the only diners there. It is an old banking hall...if you go downstairs to the toilets you'll walk into the old vault complete with the original steel plated door. There the fascination with this place faded.
The food was, to be fair, ok. We both had pizza which was hot and fresh but I'd asked for garlic bread as a starter which turned out to be slices of bread deep fried with a garlic dip. Quite vile.
The wine wasnt chilled until plunged into an ice bucket so the first glass was tepid. Equally vile.
An electric fan heater under the table added some excitement to the evening...
Best part was paying the bill and leaving!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Finland
“Bad service, bad food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I went here with two friends. There was a young guy throwing people in; we got to take a look at the menu and the energetic nice guy took us in. The restaurant was full, which was a nice surprise (it's always a good sign to see a lot of smiling people in the restaurant).
We got seated to the darkest corner; it was actually inconvenient, because reading the menu is a bit difficult when you can't see. We got to change the table later on, when one table was ready.
Two of us took mozzarella sticks for starters and one took brischetta. It took 50 minutes for the appetizers to get to our table. The mozzarella sticks turned out to be balls, but they were nice anyway. The bruschetta, though, wasn't much of a nice surprise - the bread had dried so that it wasn't crispy but more like cement.
After hour and 10 minutes we asked about the destiny of our main course. My friends had ordered pizzas and I took a beef fillet (medium). The owner apologized and explained that they had a big table that had come just before us. After I asked it took 15 minutes more and then we got our food. The pizzas were great. But my stake was terribly overcooked; not a sign of red to be seen - it was completely dry. The other thing was that the sideorder I took (as with the steak you only get the steak and sauce), the mixed salad, was just a plain salad with no flavour. It consisted of salad, couple of cucumber bits, 3 cut cherry tomatoes, canned cron and canned black olives. And no dressing.
I was very dissappointed and practically robbed; for the steak and the salad I paid 24,90 for the dry, overcooked steak and 5 euro of the poor salad. Not worth the money.
I recommend to take any other place at Raekoja plats.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
“Bland, overpriced, poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

Ordered pasta in cream sauce (w/pork, i think) - utterly and completely without flavour. I can (and do) make much better at home and i'm a mediocre cook at best. Staff seemed most concerned with drumming up business as they tried to encourage passers by to take a seat, but when i did take a seat i was ignored and had to flag down someone to take my order. The order was bungled--the main dish arrived before the appetiser. However this was a blessing in disguise as it allowed me to cancel the appetiser order after tasting the main dish. Shockingly bad.

It took ages to get someone to come and give me my bill after I gave up on the pasta and then i discovered that there was a "table charge" of 2 or 3 euros. It's not a big deal, but there is no mention of a table charge anywhere on the menu nor was there mention of a table charge when i was seated.

In short - the good parts are that 1. it's open late and 2. it's got a good location
the bad parts - very overpriced (23 euros for 1 glass house white wine, 1 pasta dish, 1 table charge), very bland (someone should introduce the chef to the concept of spices), and poor service.

The only reason this restaurant survives, I think, is because its location draws in tourists (like me) who don't know any better. They don't have to rely on repeat custom, clearly, or they would be out of business within a week.

My advice would be to go a little further off the beaten track. Just around the corner at Ribe you can get a top class meal, excellent service for only a little more money--and *no table charge*

• Visited August 2011