“Tallinn Landmark hotel - very good to stay but not for dining experience”

Radisson Blu Sky Hotel
Ranked #10 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
Warsaw, Poland
“Tallinn Landmark hotel - very good to stay but not for dining experience”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I have to admit that I stayed in this hotel 5 years ago. Whenever I am travelling to Tallinn I am feeling like a child that’s coming to visit his favourite aunt. With the same feeling I did decided to book Radisson Blu hotel that due to location and extraordinary building its already a landmark for Estonian capital.
My check –in went very smooth and as I am spending a lot of time in the hotels… too smooth. However my Carlson Card was in the system so I haven’t been so suspicions at this moment.
First change in the hotel comparing to this what I remember from the past, I ve realize looking around at the lobby area. I do remember hotel with original glass legs at the reception satellites. I have to admit that now lobby was looking interesting. I went upstairs got a room on really high floor with excellent view….. and noise coming from the top roof Café. Room was specious and with new décor – functional but grey. Bathroom I cannot recall how was it before but I really do like high quality of everything there. Coming back to the room. There is not anymore wardrobe that you can close and don’t see what inside. This new concept for me fit more into 3 star hotel. I was trying to find the safe box… and thanks God it was there… but location on the top of cupboard above minibar… interesting concept – good that one touch service knows everything … I was really surprised that now as I booked KING SIZE room at Tallinn it means two TWIN rooms zipped together. Don’t expect the mattress cover… you will feel this hole in the middle of the bed… a bit disappointed I went upstairs to check my favourite top room café …. And unfortunately I found by reaching 24th that there is closed party there. Fine- happens – let enjoy other people privately booked this really amazing place. I called again one touch service as apart of being eager to see Tallinn by night from above I was also keen on to eat something. …and unfortunately no BAR at Friday evening was working af 00.20 – I was guided to read the night room service menu and choose something out of it. What in generally didn’t take me more than 2 min, just because I ve never seen in my life in business class hotels such short menu. NO burger, no choice for hot stuff when someone doesn’t eat pork… and prawns salad – cold – but really delicious.
I will not make this review too long, but for sure something is going on in the Food and Beverage dept. in this hotel and I can assume it’s not the right directions. Apart from the room service menu ( night) that is a joke. Breakfast at Radisson`s now and I really must say that it was always a strong point for me to take decision on choosing this chain… but in Tallinn restaurant stuff is not able to manage to keep the buffet always full as it should be…I arrived for breakfast at 9.30 with another probably 100 people. Waiting time for Salmon in slices- 20 min, no mayonnaise on the buffet, however one staff member was kind enough to bring it to my table. Scrambled eggs – cold and not eatable, rest seems to be all right – nice choice of juices, cheese and meat …. but… the BREAD which is always an excellent in Estonia.,, this in Radisson is shame and NOBODY will convince me that it was the fresh one.
I went back into my room… open ELECTRONICAL minibar, that s drive me crazy, cause when I don’t have the glasses on my nose I cannot see what is in this little bottles on the top  anyway mixed cognac with whiskey and of course charge immediately landed on my bill. I went to look for ice cubes to make my own drink… I found on the corridor the sign where the ice cubes machines are located… believe me or not…I went on four floor to try to find it… got enough.. had my drink without ice. I started to laugh to myself… where are this good old Radisson time? Enough is enough went for lunch and dinner outside the hotel. On the check in, I was asked how was my stay ? I ve share with front desk member my thoughts about old style of the hotel … and I was told I am not the only one who doesn’t like this changes… my minibar was corrected as it should be…. Checked out -not sure will check in again before CHECK IN the competition around.. as this experience is somehow force me to do it.
This hotel is worth to visit due to excellent views, convenient location in the business heart of Tallinn with walking distance to each point worth to see in Tallinn and kind staff … and was worth to visit due to excellent F&B offer what I am not sure now about...but I am keeping my summary review as VERY GOOD.

Room Tip: High floors rooms - enjoy the view :)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lauder T
Kristel M, F&B Service Manager at Radisson Blu Sky Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Lauder T,

Thank you for taking time to write feedback and sharing your observations. Every guest comment is very important to us in order to find out shortages and areas for improvement.

I deeply regret to learn about disappointment that you received during your stay. We do try hard with our Yes I Can service and I am sorry to read that regardless to our best intentions, you received less than the perfect service.

Herewith please accept my deepest apologies for the inconveniences and unsatisfying service. We will follow up the points that you have addressed and try to avoid such situations in the future.

Thank you, Lauder T, once more for sharing your feedback and observations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and offer the service that really complies with Radisson Blu standards.

Kristel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 1 August 2013

For one night Tallinn visit, everything went as expected. Good location, nice view, very good service with clean modern room. Wi-Fi connection excellent. We ate lunch and dinner on hotel´s bar and restaurant, they were professionally made and served, taste OK.

For consideration, breakfast service would have needed superior. Sauna floor needed cleaning.

Visit the skybar at the top of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kristel M, F&B Service Manager at Radisson Blu Sky Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Lari70,

Thank you for your feedback and support. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We have recently renovated our rooms and they really do look modern and light. Free WiFi connection is standard for all Radisson Blu hotels. Good service is one of our priorities.

Also I would like to thank you for sharing your observations about Breakfast and Sauna. Guest feedback is very important for us in order to find out shortages and areas for improvement. We will follow up on this.

Thank you, Lari70, once more for your positive feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Nothing was omitted by this Radisson Blu Hotel. Starting at the front desk where the staff were nothing bu excellent. The room was perfect breakfast was first class. They really push you to visit the outdoor rooftop cafe. Unfortunately when you get there there are no seats or tables available. Even though there were only six people there on day one ALL tables are reserved. On day two there were only two people present but all the tables were reserved. After we were seated on day three Maggie decided that our table was reserved by someone else, there were NO people present. Avoid the rooftop, even with a reservation. This is the one area that the staff were rude and disorganized.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kristel M, F&B Service Manager at Radisson Blu Sky Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear tom s,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback. Every guest comment is very important for us as this is the way to find out shortages and areas for improvement.

We are very much delighted that you found our front desk team being excellent, room perfect and breakfast first class. We have recently finished with renovation in all hotel rooms, conference area and breakfast area. Super Breakfast is standard of all Radisson Blu Hotels just as team friendlyness and hospitality.

I am very sad to read that you did not enjoy our roof top bar. We do consider Lounge 24 being our pearl. It is very popular among locals and tourists and table reservation is often needed in order to get a table. We never reserve any table on the terrace but we do reserve them in side the Lounge. Sometimes we have big groups over there with preordered dinners or lunches and in order to set the table in time and be sure that it is available when group arrives, we reserve the table couple of hours ahead just as information that this table is available only until some time in the evening. This might look exactly like you described that only few people are in restaurant and most of the tables are reserved.

I am very sorry about your experience. I do apologize that you have received less than a perfect service and Radisson Blu standard. But I am very thankful to you for your feedback and we will focus on this subject in order to improve our service over there.
Thank you tom s, once more for your feedback and hope to see you again.

With Kind Regards,
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

A wonderful place to stay, best experience from several Radisson Blu we've stayed in so far. We stayed in a business class room on 22nd flr. The view of the city from the window was amazing. Our room was very modern with a really cool design. Spotlessly clean. Bathroom is spacious and you even get your own cord to dry your clothes. Bed was firm (just perfect) and very comfortable. Breakfast was great, wonderful selection, fresh fruits and vegetables, hot and cold buffet (sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, sauteed tomatoes and mushrooms), cereals and yogurts. The best muesli mix/drink ever (with fresh apples!)

Staff is friendly and efficient.

Loved this hotel, will definitely come back here!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear vg2555,

thank you for taking time to write such a detailed feedback about your experience at our hotel. We are very delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Tallinn is very beautiful and accordingly the view from our hotel windows. The higher floor the better is the view of course, specially considering that our hotel in one of the few high buildings in Tallinn. We have recently finished with hotel renovation and we are also very happy about the new modern and cool design of it. Our hotel rooms are often considered big and spacious just as bath rooms. Together with new rooms and furniture we do have new mattresses in beds. Super Breakfast is standard of all Radisson Blu hotels and the Bircher muesli is Radisson Blu hotel signature item in our hotel. We do try hard with our service and we are happy to read that you found our staff friendly and efficient.

Thank you, vg2555, once more for your positive feedback and support. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Rooms are recently renovated and are quite spacious and light, with Scandinvian decor. Hotel is located convienently, not far from all atractions. There is also a open terrace bar on 24th floor with amazing views over the city.

Room Tip: Go up,up,up,up
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear airiar,

Thank you very much for taking time to write your positive feedback about our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and our roof top bar Lounge 24.

Yes, hotel is recently renovated, centrally located near the shopping mall and old town. Our roof top bar with open air terrace is situated on 24th floor 90 m above see level. The view really is amazing from there.

Thank you, airiar, once more for your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

With best regards,
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2013

A relatively new hotel, clean and comfortable, and about a 10 minute walk from Tallinn's Old Town. However, traveling as a gay couple, I have to say that I will not recommend this hotel to my friends due to staff's very judgmental behavior towards gays. It started at the front desk, where I witnessed a staff member making an ugly grimace at a somewhat effeminate patron. Unfortunately, I cannot recall her name, other than it started with "K". All in all, the staff left an unprofessional image; not friendly and almost looking like they're forced to work there.
The roof-top restaurant service does not match their menu prices by far. Comparing to other Tallinn's restaurants, the prices where super expensive, menu items boring and not at all innovative, and the service utmost horrible. Clearly, they solely relying on the exquisitely panoramic view of Tallinn.

Room Tip: I stayed at the Business Room. Clean and with a great view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sven T,

Thank you for rating our hotel as clean and comfortable,
however we are very sorry to read your feedback concerning our team.

Usually our hotel is mentioned very positively and together with words like friendly and most helpful.
We would like to believe that what you observed in the reception was a misunderstanding. We are an international company. We have a multilingual, multinational team, with different orientations. Respect and ethical behaviour is one of the keystones of our company and will remain so. We take this very seriously and will of course follow up on this matter. Thank you for sharing your observations.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Stayed at this property more than 10 times since my first visit here in 2004 and I've always been very happy with the services provided. The location is excellent, right next to the shopping malls and just a short walk from the old town.
All the rooms I've stayed in has been nice, and most of them has had great views of the city. The rooftop bar offers the best view of Tallinn, it's a must if you visit Tallinn during the summer.

The suites at the hotel is nice and spacious, did a last minute upgrade when checking in, and the additional cost was well worth it.

While staying at this hotel as a Club Carlson gold member I had been pre upgraded to a business class room which was very nice, great view.

Like the title of the review says though, it's starting to show that it's not a new hotel any more. Hope they will maintain their high standards, and keep on being my preferred Tallinn residence.

Didn't get out of bed early enough for breakfast during my last visit, but it's been a real nice buffet earlier, you can even have a vodka shot with your breakfast.....

Room Tip: High floor facing the old town
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear KnutKnutsen81,

Thank you for taking time to write your review about our hotel. We are delighted that you have always enjoyed staying with us and we hope it is going to stay like that.

Since October when you last stayed with us we have had a huge renovation. Now all the rooms, conference and breakfast area have a new modern and cool look.

Club Carlson gold members get always upgraded to business class rooms or even to suites in case these rooms are available.

Super Breakfast is standard of all Radisson Blu hotels but unfortunately we do not serve any vodka at breakfast anymore.

Thank you, KnutKnutsen81, once more for your support and positive feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon again.