“Great Modern Hotel”

Ranked #9 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
San Jose, California
“Great Modern Hotel”
Reviewed 15 September 2007

The Radisson SAS Tallinn is a modern and well staffed hotel. The rooms were spacious and had amazing views of the old town. Ice makers on every floor as well as irons/ironing boards in the room. The roof top bar was a great place to close out the night with a beer, albeit the service is slow at times due to the crowds. You can't beat the view from the outdoor section of the bar. The lobby bar was ok. Breakfast buffet had a great selection. This hotel is in walking distance to the old town.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank capturedplanet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 July 2007

Stayed here for two nights on a visit to Tallinn. Chose it based on reviews from Tripadvisor describing amenities/location/etc. Admittedly, except for a few hiccups, I went away quite happy.

Hotel Transfer

The worst part of the experience. When I booked the hotel online, I noted that I would like a hotel transferto pick me at the airport. a week before leaving, I had not received any confirmation of this so I called the hotel direct only to be put on hold for an indeterminate time so I hung up. I then e-mailed the hotel again noting my request for a hotel transfer. The night before flying to Tallinn I still had not received confirmation so I repeated; called....on hold forever, hung-up and sent an e-mail. Of course when I arrived, there was no one waiting. Luckily, the Tallinn airport is well organized and has a proper cab rank which seems strictly controlled. Note to future travellers, just step outside the door into the cab rank, I think it was 130eek to the hotel and we were in some serious traffic, so it's probably usually cheaper.

Check-In/Check-Out

Possibly the most impressive part of the hotel. I had originally booked a business class room but had decided that I wanted a suite and asked if there were any available. The girl explained my options and differences, and also made it clear that although my original room was ready, (I was checking in two hours early), that one of these rooms would take 30 minutes to prepare. Agreeing to wait, she quickly had someone come take my luggage to storage and showed me over to the lobby bar where she came and got me 15-20 minutes later to tell me the room was ready. Very professional, and going out of her way to make sure I was happy. Check-Out was similar service. I was leaving at 4:30am so the lobby was empty, but the girl offered coffee, etc. while I waited for my cab to the airport. Most hotel staff in Eastern Europe would disappear after the bill had been paid.

Room

Nice/clean/modernish room with plenty of space. Plenty of complimentary bottled water and glasses. Although the one bottle I did drink wasn't replenished the next day, didn't mater though.

Restaurants/Food

The breakfast is great. Everything you could expect from an international hotel and then some. Unfortunately I could only partake one of the mornings as the second I left too early. Had dinner in their "Bar & Grill" one night which was good. Service was the standard of the rest of the hotel and the meal was good if not slightly expensive for Tallinn, but that's expected considering location. Had drinks/snacks on the rooftop lounge. It is a decent set-up but very small given the demand of people coming through. If you want to go here, make sure you have reservations or go early. Definitely some wonderful views. Service during the busy times is certainly lacking, although I don't think it's from a lack of staff, but a lack of direction.

Location

It's not in a bad spot, but it's not in the best spot. If you're going to Tallinn for touristy type stuff, somewhere nearer or inside the old city walls would have this location beat hands down. That said, it's a short walk to shopping centers and department stores and about a 5-10 minute walk to the old city walls.

Business Services

WiFi supposedly throughout the hotel, but in my corner suite, the signal was so faint it was useless. Asked for a cable to use a wired connection but they were all being used when I asked and none apparently became available my entire two day stay. They do have a niceish business center on the second floor with two computers and any stationary/office supplies you need.

In conclusion, if I ever make it back to Tallinn I may or may not choose this hotel again. This isn't a reflection of the hotel itself as it is quite nice, but the fact that I prefer to be right in the "heart" of the action so to speak. I certainly wouldn't avoid it and is a safe choice for those looking for international standards.

• Liked — The service/staff, definitely a pleasant surprise in Eastern Europe
  • Disliked — Hotel Transfer communication
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
4 Thank Faithful_Suitcase
Heerhugowaard
Reviewed 25 May 2007

We stayed at the Radisson for three nights and it was a happy experience. The hotel is very modern and situated just outside the old city (a walk of about 7 minutes) and close to the new Kaubamaja shopping centre. We were on the 14th floor, with a nice view over the old city and the harbour. Fine room with all amenities (safe, hairdryer and three telephones!). Bathroom pretty large.
The breakfast buffet was really excellent; lots of choice, ommelettes made to order. We loved the lounge bar on the 24th floor - when the weather is nice, you can even sit outside.
We also took the tram to Kadriorg Park, the stop is about 500 metres from the hotel.
By taxi, the trip to the airport takes about 10 minutes.

• Liked — Close to all sights and shops, very nice breakfast, lounge bar, view from room
  • Disliked — Front desk
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Juliadrusilla
Reading, UK
Reviewed 24 May 2007

An excellent hotel. I have stayed there on a number of occasions and it is a very good hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and the staff very friendly. It is only a 10 minute walk from the city centre. The restaurants and bar are excellent and the views from the top floor bar are second to none.

The only possibe concern is the price which is quite expensive for the city however you pay for what you get. I would recommed this to anyone.

• Liked — Location and the bar at the top of the hotel
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Mindenhof
Chertsey
Reviewed 28 March 2007

Excellent facilities and even better customer service. Nothing was too much trouble from the sales agent through to the hotel staff. Everything went like clockwork, I arranged private dinning, meeting space, lunches and coffee breaks. The receptionists were very friendly and polite and the conference team could not have done more for us they were attentive and accommodating. I booked a mixture of standard and business class rooms and all were clean and spacious...I ordered a room service breakfast for 07.15hrs which arrived promptly. I would book again and be happy to recomend this hotel to other conference users. It is in a great location for getting to the old town

• Liked — Clean and spacious
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank TJBChertsey
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed 7 February 2007

Having no preconcieved notions of what to expect in Tallinn, we pulled up the the SAS and were very impressed.

For a city that is coming to life as they embrace the EU, etc this hotel is ready to accept worldwide travellers. The city itself was also a joy to visit, especially Old Town.

The SAS has a very modern feel with great staff & service.

The Skybar on the top floor is a must, with great drinks, service and outdoor seating where you can take in all of Tallinn. The other great feature of this hip bar is the Free WiFi allowing you to finish some work at the end of the day while enjoying a great view & nice drink. For a nightcap order a 'VanaTallinn' which means 'Old Tallinn', and is a nice coffee with the local liqour.

The rooms are nice (clean & comfortable) and mine offered a nice view of the city.

Check-in was fast and friendly and I was able to arrange transport to the airport and have it billed to my room with no hastle.

The location is fantastic, steps to Old Town and to major business offices, etc.

If you are going to Tallinn, stay at this hotel!

• Liked — Skybar & Location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank LOWA
suffolk
Reviewed 19 January 2007

great hotel to stay in, very plush reception and the rooms have great view tho make sure you request high floor!!!.
We noticed a few "workin girls" walking thru the hotel at night tho but the staff soon catch them up.
just a 5- 10 min walk to the old town which still keeps a medieval theme to it, places like "old hansa" and "peppersacks".
all the restaurants we ate were fantastic but we didnt find it that cheap there, not as much as we were expecting.
good city trip never the less

Stayed January 2007