“Really nice hotel but..........”

My City Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #7 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
Derby, United Kingdom
“Really nice hotel but..........”
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Just a quick review.
Spent 2 nights on a city break with my wife.
Positives. Hotel was spotless throughout. Could not fault cleanliness anywhere.
Location is superb. Just a couple of minutes walk to old town.
We only booked a standard room at back of hotel. The room was adequate with excellent soundproofing. Only 2 English speaking tv channels but we don't go away to watch tv!
Beds comfortable but only one pillow. No extra pillows available!
Negatives. The BIG letdown with this hotel was the breakfast.
Breakfast was awful if you wanted something hot. On offer was the usual continental bacon, sausage balls, fried potatoes, scrambled egg and beans. On both mornings all of the "hot" food was virtually cold. The bacon on 2nd morning was black! Looked awful.
I had decided on 2nd morning to have beans on toast but the toaster was absent. On enquiring it had broken!
There was a limited choice of cereal, cheese meats and limp salad.
The minibar in the rooms is obviously aimed at the business end of the market where these items are claimed as expenses. On arrival there was a bottle of Evian water on dressing table with label attached to it saying "4.5 euro"!! The minibar prices were staggering so we didn't make use of it.
We paid £35 pppn which is not cheap for Tallinn but taking into account the location and the hotel itself I would probably recommend it as you could probably find something suitable for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
KilluMaidla, General Manager at My City Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Dear Ramtravellers,

Thank you for your review and very detailed feedback! I'm really sorry to hear about the poor breakfast quality. During last days I have been keeping an close eye on hot dishes at breakfast, to make sure everything is really at right temperature. I have agreed with our chef that he will take good care and pay special attention to hot table at breakfast. I truly hope that this issue was there for only one or two mornings.

Regarding extra pillows - you are absolutely right, we should have them available. When hotel is not full, we can easily use the pillows from empty rooms, but during the summer we were really almost always 100% full. To avoid that kind of situation for the future, I have already placed an order for 4 extra pillows and 4 extra blankets.

I am glad that all in all you found hotel to be nice and clean and you would recommend it. I am sincerely thankful for all your critics as well - this is the only way we can improve and offer better quality to our guests. Thank you for that!

With all the best wishes from sunny Tallinn,
Killu Maidla / Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Liverpool
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We paid £105 in total for two nights through Expedia. This is astonishing value, considering we got the following:

- a clean, comfortable room
- a good night's sleep (despite being about 10 yards from a nightclub - the windows are soundproofed)
- city centre location, about 3 minutes walk from the main square
- decent breakfast
- good service from the staff

We ate in the self service restaurant at the Solaris shopping centre, situated about 100 yards away. If you want to eat well but save money then this is the place - good quality food at low prices, and the staff wear traditional costumes! There are other restaurants here as well - all looked to be cheaper than their equivalents in the touristy parts of town.

Tallinn is lovely, and we'll return to this hotel next time we visit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear sir,

Thank you for choosing My City Hotel for your stay in Tallinn! I'm really happy to read that you were satisfied with hotel and service. I am also really greatful for your review in Tripadvisor.com - it is one of the good tools to understand what customers are really expecting from hotel and where we can improve the service.

I hope you will visit Tallinn again and I am very much looking forward to welcoming you in My City Hotel again!

With best wishes,
Killu Maidla / Hotel manager
Bornholm, Denmark
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The hotel has a very fine location in the old town of Tallinn.
The rooms are clean and good beds.
Very skilled and friendly people at the reception front desk.
Good breakfast!

Room Tip: Our room was 207 with window out to the street and square, but the windows was mounted with double g...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
KilluMaidla, General Manager at My City Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review in Tripadvisor.com! I am really happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay and you found our hotel and service very good. We do try to provide only best service and I will sertainly pass your compliments to our reception staff as well.
Thank you once again!

Wishing you all the best and hoping to welcome you in Tallinn again,
Killu Maidla & My City Hotel team
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We had booked another hotel that had double booked our room so they transferred us to this hotel. We were unsure about being moved as we'd not considered this hotel previously. But it was a great move. Right on the edge of the Old Town and New town, best of both worlds. On the same road as cafe's, bars, restaurants and shops. The staff were very friendly and spoke brilliant english. I left my phone in the transfer taxi and they helped return it to me. The rooms were spacious and with a clean and modern en suite. I would deffinately recommend this hotel to other travellers and would return there myself.

• Stayed August 2011
KilluMaidla, General Manager at My City Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
Dear Madam,

I would like to sincerely thank you for your review in Tripadvisor.com! I am very glad to learn that your stay with us was very enjoyable even after the inconveniences caused by overbooking.
We appreciate your nfeedback very much and also looking forward to welcoming you in Tallinn again!

With best wishes on behalf of all our team,
Hotel Manager
Manresa, Spain
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I've been 4 nights in the hotel...and i have to say that i'm sure that i'll be back to the hotel if someday i'll return to the city. The situation was fantastic, very near to the center (Town Hall), and for that reason you can explore the city very easily.
The staff in the reception of the hotel was very helpful and kindly, what is very important when you travel alone. They help me in every question and every doubt i had about the city.
The breakfast was so good with a lot of different kinds of meal.
The room was confortable with all the things you could need there.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Dear Sir,

thank you for your very kind review! I'm really happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your compliments regarding front office staff to my team as well.
Once again - thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you in My City Hotel again!

Wishing you nice summer,
on behalf of all our team,

Cape Town
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We were a large group who stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding. At the outset, I must say that we were all extremely pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel (having perhaps mentally been of the opinion that it was not a 'top' place). In particular, the rooms were spacious with a flat screen tv and decently sized bathroom. However, where this hotel truly excels is in two areas: its location (right on the periphery of Old Town and in close proximity to good restaurants and bars); the other, and perhaps most important, is the hotel's excellent staff who were always friendly, and no matter how ridiculous the request (such as where to purchase an outfit for the groom for a hastily arranged bachelor party (thanks Grete) or to help pen a few Estonian words to include in a speach to a half-Estonian wedding party (thanks Annike)), the help received was efficient and with a smile. The breakfast was also decent. Well done My City - your staff are fantastic, and I hope you keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
KilluMaidla, General Manager at My City Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review! I am truly touched by your comments and appreciate a lot that you also share these here in Tripadvisor.com. It is most important for us that our guests enjoy the stay with us and I'm glad that you and your group were happy here.

You are always warmly welcomed back to My City Hotel and me with my team will do the best to keep up (and also in some areas improve) the service.

Once again, thank you!

Wishing you nice summer,
Maasmechelen, Belgium
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We are very pleased with the kindness of the staff. Could ask anything. Ambulance, taxi, calls. They work hard, their English is very good and they are all lovely. Thank you very much.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
KilluMaidla, General Manager at My City Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Dear Madam,

thank you for all the kind words. I'm really proud to hear your comments towards our staff. I will do the best to keep up the service. We do try to take best care of our guests here and of course pay special attention when situations need that.
I hope all is well with your family and wish you always warm welcome back to Tallinn and My City Hotel!