“Excellent location for a city holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of My City Hotel Tallinn

My City Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
Helsinki, Finland
“Excellent location for a city holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

Spent one night in this lovely hotel, which is located in the very heart of Tallinna, inside old town, but also very near the main routes of city's trams & buses. During the Sowiet time, the building used to accomodate the marine headquarters. The red star and the anchor are still up on the front facade! And you can walk right accross the small square to the legendary, tiny Valli Baar, where the time has stopped in seventies.
Also the inside of building is nicely renovated (in Italian style?), and my standard double room was carpeted with clean bathroom (shower). The young staff is extremely friendly and helpfull, and the breakfast (downstears below the reception area) meets the normal Scandinavian buffet standards. A good choice, if you want to avoid the huge tourist factories.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Matias66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Helsinki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed over the weekend , family with one daughter.We have stayed in Tallin many times but this was by far the best hotel we have stayed in. Lovely decor and the room was perfect. The location is spot on . We loved the way the hotel is designed. The Sauna was the highlight, also a very nice breakfast in the morning.
But the what makes it very special was the Staff, everyone is very polite and extremely helpful. We will go back to this hotel again no doubt about that.
Nik Neeves

Room Tip: There all most likely good , so you cant loose
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

stayed as part of a tour group at the end of august, 2011 - the location is GREAT (i have a way of getting lost even with a map but the very pretty and interesting old city is so small, bearings are easy to find again) and the people could not have been nicer - the breakfast is big (make sure you get to both sides of the buffet area) - internet terminal is useless (touch screen that doesn't respond - no keyboard available)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

just spent three nights here last weekend we upgraded to a superior room for 15E a night (room 501) which was huge and had a nice bathroom with large shower (shame no bath) nice breakfast plenty of hot and cold food to please all helpfull front desk cant fault them they even gave me a box of chocolates when the realised it was my birthday

Hope to return in 2012 and no point in looking for a different hotel as this is right slap bang in the best area too

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RichardChapman
Helsinki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

We had a special occation and tried to book one of the chain hotels on a very short notice. Thank goodness they were all full and we found My City Hotel even though it wasn't actually on offer through any of the main ferry liners from Finland.

This hotel is very well located in the Old Town, just a few steps from Raekoja Plats.
The check-inn was warm and efficient, although there was only one receptionist attending to four or five reservations. Only seemed to be a bother for a few middle-aged ladies spending a weekend soaking up the culture (that is: theatre, ballet and a lot of reasonably priced sparkling wine). :D

Our room was facing the back of the hotel, which had a nice view of some "medieval" walls. Well, ok, maybe not that authentic, but we still thought the unoccupied, broken-glassed building was so much better (and actually more quaint) than the rooms facing the Casino at the front, just a touch of the "Olde Worlde" that is so attractive in Tallinn :D

Recently refurbished rooms, comfy twin beds, flat-screen tv, mini-bar, very nice bathroom, shampoo / shower gel, even shoe polish in the room. And of course a safe, but you have to ask for the key from the reception. There is room service for a reasonable price if you feel peckish later in th night.

They also have a sauna department with a jacuzzi, ideal for small parties and couples.

Breakfast was in my opinion the best I have had in Tallinn, which means they even have bacon and beans :) Very few hotels that I have stayed in the Continent actually serve anything resembling an English breakfast, but they have it all: cold cuts, cheeses, eggs, bacon, beans, meatballs, potatoes, porridge, five different juices, tea, coffee... The breakfast room serves as a cafe later in the day.

So, great location, comfy rooms, brill breakfast (for a few euros even in bed should you so choose).

Highly recommended, and we will definately choose My Hotel Tallinn the next time we pop in for a weekend away.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Akron, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Good location
Room adequate
Breakfast good
The internet access was a touch screen and it did not work half the time
Other people in our group had an alleged beach of security which the hotel was reluctant to do anything about.

Room Tip: Be cautious of valuables
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KilluMaidla, General Manager at My City Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Dear Halwebb,

First of all - thank you for staying with us! And I am also very thankful for your review in Tripadvisor.com. I'm glad that you liked the rooms and breakfast.
I'm sorry for the internet booth we have faced some problems with it during the summer and I was sure it's working perfectly now. I make sure we will either fix or change the booth to a better one shortly.
Regarding the second part of your review - could you please contact me personally by e-mail killu@mycityhotel.ee or telephone +372 6220 900? I didn't understand clearly what has happened and where? And I definetely want to make sure my team takes best care of our guests while they are in Tallinn and people would not have to worrie about their valuables, left in rooms or any other security related issue while in hotel. Please provide me with more information to help me to clarify the situation.

I do appreciate your help in that matter and again - I am very thankful for your review!
Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Killu Maidla / Hotel Manager
Kirkkonummi, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

There was first gently staff and place was good. Breakfast was exellent and many-sided.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends