“Good hotel, but very noisy if you have a room at the front”

My City Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
Liverpool
“Good hotel, but very noisy if you have a room at the front”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed there 9th - 12th August and where we had no complaints about the hotel, it didn't help having a club a club opposite. The noise from the people coming and going to the club was terrible and went on until 5:00AM. The hotel did move us to the back at our request and were full of apologies. If you stay there on aThursday night make sure you have a room at the back

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brussels
Reviewed 11 August 2012

A very pleasant stay & fantastic value for money.We believe the rooms have recently been refurbished - certainly the quality of the furnishings were first class & we appreciated the coffee/ tea facilities provided in the roiom . We were 'late starters' every day - and were delighted to find everything replensihed at the really good buffet - breakfast - even at 10.30!!!!

1 Thank Kathryn0770
arizona
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I can not begin to say enough positive things about My City Hotel. We arrived on the ferry from Stockholm at 10:00am and, since our rooms were ready, were allowed to have an early check-in. I had room 211 and my mom and aunt shared 507. Our stay was originally for 4 nights. Due to an accident, my mom ended up in the Tallinn hospital. My aunt and I were able to extend our stay by 4 extra nights and were given the same, online special rate of the original reservation. In addition, the reception staff all were extremely helpful--making calls to the hospital, etc. We really appreciated their concern and kindness. My mom was able to return for the last night and, again, the staff support went above and beyond. The guys helped her to the room (her ankle was broken in 3 places and she had surgery). The next morning more assistance in helping us with our early cab ride.
Housekeeping staff was friendly and the rooms are well-maintained. Breakfast had a nice variety of food (the curd was divine!). In addition to regular coffee, there was Lavazza espresso! We had a few "picnics" in our room because of the situation and the cafe staff were always willing to let us borrow plates, wine glases, etc.
WiFi is free and I had no problem with accessing it.
The location is excellent. It is within walking distance of all the major tourist sites. (it is also within walking distance of the hospital, thank goodness for us but hopefully that is not a consideration for others!) Since the location is on the edge of the Old Town, you feel like you can escape the crowds.
I would highly recommend staying in MyCity Hotel when visiting Tallinn!

Room Tip: Room 211 was very spacious. Even though it is on the street side, near a pub and casino, the double...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheetah262
Hertford
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This hotel is well decorated, smart and comfy. Great breakfast and really very helpful staff. Rooms comfy and clean. only small issue was no tea or coffee in the rooms.

Very good location just seconds from the Town square really good place.

2 Thank GlynKn
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The hotel has a fabulous location in Tallinn's old town. The two main squares (Town Hall Square and Freedom Square) are each just two blocks away, right in the heart of the city. Most important venues are within walking distance.

Other than for an excellent location, the price/performance ratio of the hotel is weak. The first day, my wife and I arrived at the hotel at about 16:00 (4 pm) and our room was not ready yet. After checking us in at the reception, they kept us waiting for about 15 minutes before the room was prepared. The following day we returned to the room at about 17:00 and the room was not cleaned at all (despite having the "Please Clean Room" sign on the door for many hours). I called the reception to at-least request fresh towels (only two were provided the first day), and the hotel staff appeared unaware of the room not being cleaned that day. They kindly offered a towel replacement, but seemed lost at my suggestion to have the room cleaned so late that day.

The hotel is located across the street from a popular night-club and casino. It was noisy at night - thus the poor rating on sleep quality (also, just one pillow per person was provided). On the third day, the hotel kindly changed our room to the garden side. This second room was on the top, fifth floor. The room was still noisy, due to some machine pounding close to the room. In fact, both rooms also had loud AC units. On the top floor the water pressure was very weak - the shower temperature would thus keep fluctuating from too cold to too hot and back.

Tallinn is a wonderful city to visit. My wife and I really enjoyed the medieval town, restaurants, shows and shopping.

Room Tip: If you book a room at My City Hotel request a room on the garden side, on the 3rd or 4th floor!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
KilluMaidla, General Manager at My City Hotel Tallinn, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Sir,

first of all - thank you for staying with us! I am sorry we did not exactly met your expectations and reading your comments I must agree that we have failed to give excellent service. I am sincerely sorry for that.
I assure you that your comments are taken seriously and we have agreed some clear procedures what to do when room is not cleaned by check-in time and how to avoid this situation in the first place. I must say that this is very rear occasion and it does not happen often.
Regarding the cleaning on second day of your visit - if you could send me exactly the date and your room number, it would help me to investigate it further. We clean rooms daily and also change towels daily (unless guests don't want them to be changed), so this is very serious issue I need to address with my staff to make sure it will not repeat. I would appreciate if you could contact me by e-mail killu@mycityhotel.ee for further details.
Once again, I am sorry for not providing you excellent stay and I am very thankful for your feedback, this helps us to improve and provide best for future guests.
I hope you can help me with more details and am looking forward to hearing from you.

Killu Maidla
Hotel Manager
My City Hotel
Pori, Finland
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Everything you need to see within a walking distance. Friendly staff, good breakfast, clean room with air conditioning and a kitchenette. Taxi to ferry terminal takes 10 minutes, 10 € including tip. Very quiet location, the room was silent and spacious with 3 windows facing the square.

Vancouver, Bc
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This hotel was great. It was just off the town square so very quiet in the evenings. The front desk staff were very helpful and we were able to walk to all the Tallinn sites. As well, the ferry terminal was only a 20 minute walk away. Breakfast was excellent and extensive.