“Small detail spoiled perfect stay”

My City Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My friend and I recently spent a four night stay at My City.The location could not be better, being only yards from the Town Square and other local attractions. The hotel is beautiful, it is spotlessly clean, has a good choice of breakfast and the art work on the walls adds to the ambiance of the building. However, we were left disappointed and frustrated by one small detail- a lack of pillows.

Each bed had one very soft pillow and although the brochure in the room clearly stated that if more pillows were required we only needed to ask at reception, when we did this we received two very different responses on two consecutive days. Firstly, I requested them at 10pm from a young man who was in reception and was informed that he would bring them to our room 'shortly.' We stayed awake until 11:30pm before realising he would not be answering our request. The following morning I spoke to him again and he informed me he had taken them to the wrong room! Later that day my friend again went to reception and requested them again, this time she was informed by a young lady that they, 'did not have any.' !!!!!!!!!

We were shocked by this especially as the brochure stated there was a choice of pillows available including anti allergy and wool. As we had not had a good nights sleep since we arrived, and had spent each day exploring the local area on foot, we weren't fussy and would have been grateful for any kind of pillow but sadly we never did receive them.

As I said, it would be hard to beat this hotel but is seems incredible that a 4 star hotel is unable to provide something as basic as pillows. As well as being frustrated by this situation, we were disappointed by the staff's responses.

I appreciate that this may seem a trivial detail but the lack of sleep resulted in our stay being good rather than perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pattylancastrian

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The decoration of this hotel is in a classic style. The location is good - 10-15 minutes walk to Sokos Hotel Viru where the bus stop to ferry terminal is & 5 minutes walk to the old town square. The staff is helpful. There are several restaurants nearby. It's a good base in Tallinn if you are there for the first time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank crazysoccer
Reviewed 30 October 2013

It was a great location. Clean, quiet, and good breakfast. We really liked our stay at My City Hotel. Was very nice to walk through old town and get back to the hotel to go to the bathroom or to take a nap. Was a very relaxing weekend. The staff were very helpful. Just a side note that we did not know...One warning is that the taxi's are not all the same. Some of them are private (but have TAXI on the top of car). cost us 30 euro for a trip to the airport (normally less than 9 euros!)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank CNMPAM
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We spent two nights in this hotel as we were celebrating my birthday with a group of friends. We chose the hotel based on previous reviews and because of it's location. We had a superior room and thought it was a very good size and nicely decorated. The only downside was that the room was facing the street and a large nightclub so it was a bit noisy during the night. In fact I was using earplugs on one of the nights as I found it difficult to sleep. For that reason I thought the room was a bit pricy, they could try to improve the soundproof.
The breakfast was okay, nothing fancy.
The best thing was that the old town was within walking distance as well as my 'birthdayparty venue' Hell Hunt pub.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The hotel has a good location in the old town, rooms are nice and pretty large (if you choose the upgrade =superior), the Wi-Fi is free and really well working, the breakfast offers pretty wide selection and the service is kind and helpful. The restaurant My Cafe is also worth of trying, but if have to pay normal prices there, it is a little bit pricy.

If you are able to find a well priced offer (47 euros) for this hotel, it is absolutely a very good choice. A 10 euros upgrade is also worth of trying. When paying a normal price that is over 100 euros per night, you have other good choices also in Tallinn and with that price the rating would be 4.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Great location, helpful, friendly staff! The breakfast has a good selection. Great location, easy walk to everything in the old town, great restaurants nearby. Everything was spotlessly clean, the bathroom was modern and pleasant with good lighting. It was well priced and a good value.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BobTravelSFO
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Comfortable hotel in a great location on the edge of the Old Town, five minutes walk from The Town Hall Square. The friendly helpful staff quickly checked us in to our standard double room which was a reasonable size, very clean and comfortable with a decent size bathroom. The shower was strong and hot and there were plenty of toiletries and towels. Tea and coffee making facilities are not automatically provided for standard rooms, however the staff provided them on request at no extra charge.

The hotel has a small but comfortable bar area on the lower floor and drinks were reasonably priced.

Breakfast is included in all room rates and was very good and filling, a wide selection of cooked food, cold meats and cheeses, porridge, cereal, pastries, breads, fruit and yoghurt. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is opposite a club/casino, so I would advise very light sleepers to ask for a room at the back of the hotel, although the windows were well soundproofed and the noise was not too loud.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you need total quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple