“Nice hotel in a good location”
Review of PK Ilmarine Hotel

PK Ilmarine Hotel
Ranked #20 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 12 November 2007

This hotel is in a great location, just outside the walls of the Old Town and not far from the harbour. It is roughly a 5-10min walk to the centre of the Old Town.

The rooms are tasefully decorated and comfortable. They definately have more af a premium feel than some other hotels I have stayed at in a similar price range. I agree with a previous reviewer that the only disappointing thing is that the towels in the bathroom aren't very fluffy - but that's the only thing I can complain about, so hardly a big deal!

Check-in was speedy and efficient, and all the front desk staff that we spoke to were friendly and helpful. There's free internet access in the lobby, and although there is only one computer, it was never busy and was very helpful when looking up addresses of bars etc. in the town.

I had read a guidebook review of the hotel which said that all of the rooms were duplexes with kitchenettes, however, our rooms were just regular hotel rooms, no kitchen or separate bedroom, so don't be mislead if you read that anywhere. I certainly don't think the hotel website makes this assertion.

I think this hotel is very good value for money and I would definately recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank Victoriaplum,UK

Reviewed 5 November 2007

The hotel is in a great spot, just a few minutes walk from the [quieter side] old town, but you do have to cross a road that is really busy at times, so walk along to the crossings and the traffic does stop, almost immediately. Despite what an earlier traveller wrote I would not recommend getting the No.2 bus from the airport. It finishes at the harbour and you have a good 10 minutes walk across busy roads along rickety pavements, not good when dragging a suitcase, in the rain! The taxi is about £10 and although seems pricey for a 15 minute drive, its worth it for the door to door. If you don't have any luggage then by all means, take the bus. The hotel is lovely, the breakfast ample and enough choice although the toaster is less than useless!! The staff were excellent and always really helpful. The rooms all seem to have two single beds, but there was no problem getting them pushed together and made up as a double. The only really petty downside is I would have liked thicker towels. The old city itself has plenty to offer and we made good use of the Tallinn Card - but don't buy it unless you like visiting museums (which are informative and almost all displays are labelled in English), you will hardly use it on the public transport system. We found the walking audio guide that we got from the central Tourist Information centre really helpful. The choice of food and restaurants is excellent, but check around because there is good value to be found in all the streets away from the main square.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ordinary-folk
Reviewed 30 October 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in October 2007.

I agree with previous reviews about the good location of this hotel, and the decent quality of the rooms.

However, what would otherwise have been a pleasant stay has been marred by an issue I am currently trying to resolve with the hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel to check in, it was obvious that our prepaid booking (made about 2 months beforehand, throught Last Minute) was not recorded on the hotel system. However, the hotel still manged to give us a room and at that point they did not mention anything about payment for the room. I did not think there would be any further issues.

However, upon checking out, we were informed that we needed to pay for our room. I told them that it was a prepaid booking. I used the computer in the hotel lobby to log into my Last Minute account, to show the receptionist the prepaid booking confirmation. I even emailed a copy of the confirmation to the hotel email account. The receptionist was apologetic, and assured me I would not be charged by the hotel.

Upon returning home, I found that despite the hotel's reassurances, they actually DID charge me for the room again. I rang the hotel, and a different lady informed me that there was now no record of my email showing my prepaid booking confirmation. I have emailed the prepaid booking confirmation again to the hotel. They are currently in the process of investigating which hotel staff member charged me a second time for the booking.

Chances are this situation will not happen to you, however, if staying in Tallinn again I certainly would not take the risk and would stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank Puginspace
Reviewed 15 October 2007

The Ilmarine is a very nicely designed hotel and well located at the entry of the old town, close to the harbour (very convenient if you arrive by ferry). We had a superior room which was quite big with the bed located on the upper floor. Note that this room type is not suitable for people who don't like steep, small stairs.

The room had little problems (door handle almost falling out, window couldn't be shut in the beginning, which got fixed immediately, one of the bed lights not working), but it was clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly and tried to be helpful, but not always very competent-don't even bother asking them about the weather forecast for example. Breakfast was ok but not more. I can recommend the hotel as it's good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2007

The Domina Inn Ilmarine, in Tallinn, is a very nice hotel with decent facilities including restaurant, bar, spa, sauna and conference rooms, although many of these facilities were not used by ourselves.

The location, we thought, was quite good. We had booked a trip to Helsinki and therefore, we were only about a five to ten minute walk from the port area, which was very convenient. The hotel is also about a five minute walk from the edge of the Old Town (Fat Margaret's Tower) and from there, as Tallinn is only a small town, you are only about five minute's leisurely stroll from the centre of the town.

We had twin beds, which was fine. The room itself was cleaned well, had a decent sized shower, the television had a variety of channels for English speaking, German speaking and other local channels.

The breakfast was fine, with plenty of food to keep most people happy. The breakfast included scrambled eggs and continental sausages, a range of cereals, loads of bread, fruit, sweets, juices, teas and coffees. In fact, the breakfast range would be right up there for variety, in terms of places we have stayed.

Tallinn itself is a very interesting place and well worth the visit.

Helsinki was also worthwhile, but not as interesting architecturally or arguably, historically, but everyone is different and others would see things we didn't and vice versa.

Overall, the Domina Inn Ilmarine is a pretty good hotel for a reasonable price and we would have no hesitation in staying here again.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 6 September 2007

Room: was great. Got two double beds. Not the most comfortable bed but ok to get a good night sleep after exploring the area.The bathroom was really good. Overall clean room. The hotel had a nice architecture and the area was very clean. Typical European architecture

Location: About a 10 min walk from the ferry port. Straight walk on the road. If you are taking the Tallink ferries its an additional 5 mins walk as the ferries arrive on the other side of the terminal. To the old town entrance on the south its a 10 minute walk. Perfect location to explore the old town and walk back to the hotel.

I did not use taxi's while I was here as I had heard about the rip-offs. It was safe walking in the night to the hotel.

Service:
Would give it about a 2*. I think the hotel was full the other day so their service was poor. I asked for an Iron twice and they never brought it to my room. Long check-in time - took about 20 mins to get checked in. In general the staff were unfriendly. I heard about 2 customers complaining and yelling at the staff as they hadn't received a good room.

Booked my hotel through hotelclub.net - was a prepaid room. Can't complain too much for the price and location.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2007

This is a good quality modern hotel, nice and clean, near the Old Town, stylishly converted from a old factory building with lots of 'Nordic' wood around the place.

We stayed there for four nights and enjoyed it. Possibly the biggest plus is the delicious breakfast you can serve yourself - it's one of the best we've ever had and we've stayed in dozens of hotels over the years.

Yes, there's a building site next door (much of Tallinn is being re-developed and there are plenty of sites all round the city) but the whole thing makes only a distant hum through the double-glazing and so it isn't intrusive.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple