Hestia Hotel Ilmarine
Ranked #20 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Stayed here with my wife and other family members for 4 nights recently and was really impressed.....Check in was really smooth and the receptionist spoke impecable English.
We stayed on the 2nd floor and found the room absolutely spotless. Bed was more queen size than double i would say. Room was surprisingly large as was the bathroom. Aircon worked really well. I am a fairly light sleeper and I never heard a sound at night here for the 4 nights.
Locationwise, this could not be better: About a 3 minute walk gets you to the entrance of the old town......(near enough to be very convenient but far enough to not hear the late night sounds there). Its also around a 15 minute walk from where you can get ferry to Helsinki, a trip I could highly recommend. There is a good supermarket at the back of the hotel around 5 mins away.
I had room only accomodation so didnt have food at the hotel but did hear from others that it was of good quality.
Overall, I would have no hesitation in staying here again if I have the good fortune to return to this wonderful city!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wexfordphil
Domina_Manager, Revenue Manager at Hestia Hotel Ilmarine, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear wexfordphil,

Thank you so much for this wonderful feedback! It is the greatest award for us to learn our clients were happy with the location, service, and the room here, and left Ilmarine with positive emotions. This makes our efforts pay off in the best possible way!

You are always most welcome back here, benvenuti!
PS, next time, do try the delicious breakfast :)

Revenue Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,136)

Reviewed 3 August 2011

I stayed in Domina Ilmarine for 8 months since January to August. I'm now in UK. My experience was quite diverse. I'm a very communicative and friendly person which usually causes people to respond the same way but I can point out several things I noted not just in Domina Ilmarine but in Tallinn in general.

First of all, unlike westerners, Estonians and Scandinavians in general are not as warm therefore can be perceived as unfriendly. Of course after 8 months I met many people who work in the several places from old town including get to know better those working in Domina Ilmarine. I do confirm the service does not have the level of quality we'd ideally expect but I would not expect much better from a cheap hotel. :-)

My main issue was the noise from the road as I stayed in the road side and the black dust from pollution of the cars which somehow gets in the apartment.

In Tallinn in general if you ask a question usually people will just answer what you ask with a cold "yes" or "no" rather than try to find a way to help you further. This is mostly cultural as I also stayed in Viru Hotel which is a 4 star and a lot more expensive... and in Helsinki on a very expensive hotel and service was also bad including the manager who was rude. So comparing Hotels I did have the best service in Domina, mainly the sales manager was quite friendly. Curiously it is very easy to get discounts. ;-)

Estonian are very moody people so if they're not in a good mood they tend not to pretend to be therefore you might get "bad service". Since I was quite friendly everywhere I went, people treat me well too and even got discounts in some places. Of course there was people who are not friendly regardless... probably mood, I did stay 8 months to see people who I perceived as unfriendly become a lot more friendly and variate depending on the mood. :-)

Anyway back to the Hotel. I did not try the sauna or jacuzzi but as far as I know they do exist since I saw many people go there. Laundry is done in a laundry room which has a washing machine, you pay 3 euros and can wash as many clothes as you like but you do have to buy your own detergent.

Rimi Supermarket is about 200 meters away so getting some food to the room/apartment is rather easy, it is open from 09:00-22:00. You can actually buy take-away food there for less than 3 euros for a full meal. In Old Town eating can go from 5 euros to 50 euros depending on where you go. I'd suggest trying Vapiano or Lido in Shopping Center Solaris where you eat for less than 10 euros or Sushi Silk in Shopping Viru Keskus where a menu costs 4.90. McDonalds menu is only 3.95 which is very cheap. So take your pick many places to go! There is also a less visible place called Shimo where you can eat chicken tikka masala for less than 5 euros, calamari for 2 euros and drinks are unusually cheap. :-)

As I rented an apartment rather than a room I guess my experience was different, I was supplied microwave, kitchenware and kind of everything else I needed to cook except food of course! The apartment is quite good except for the details mentioned above, the room is upstairs and downstairs is the bathroom and living room with kitchnet. Price for whole month was around €400-450 which is awesome (normal price is 500-550 but I had a good discount). Gym is also included for free.
Room cleaning is not included but can be ordered any time for 6 euros.

Location is excellent, only 2 minutes walk from Old Town and Tram stop is also 2 minutes walk.

Cleaning service was reasonable, they don't seem to clean the black dust but wash the dishes clean the floor change the beds supply toilet paper shower gels and new towels.

I would stay again and recommend the place.
If you need something just ask but be friendly rather than arrogant, that will get you a lot better service. Estonians have a good sense of humour so if you throw a joke or two it will play in your favour. ;-)

Being friendly got me discounts, free entrance in some places and special treatment, even free drinks. Try it out!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo

Dear AgentBD,

Thank you for this really thorough and honest feedback! It was a pleasure having you here and I hope you left with generally positive emotions, as well :) The Baltic/Scandinavian way of being is, indeed, much more introverted and restrained than you would find in Western or Southern Europe, but I guess you already noticed that once you start talking to or knowing the person a little, we are not so bad after all. However, I must admit that people working in the service industry cannot allow themselves to be so-called typical Estonians, and that is our goal here, too - to bring out the Southener in our staff members :)
I am glad you found the location of the hotel good - it is true that this part of town with the seaside right next to us is probably the fastest developing hot spot in Tallinn at the moment. New cultural attractions, cafes, small marinas and markets have been born this year close to the hotel that attract locals as well as tourists, and are an inspiration to artists and entrepreneurs.
I have to agree about the street dust, though - Põhja pst sees a lot of traffic, and in the summer time when you keep windows open, it gets in the room. I guess you have to have the other side to each coin...
Once again, I appreciate your comments! Hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 30 July 2011

We booked a two-night stay here through Expedia as we had snagged a couple of free flights from LPL to Tallinn and needed a good (but cheap!) place to stay and the Domina Inn Ilmarine came in at less than £100 for two nights with breakfast.

The hotel is located just close enough (and far away enough) from the Old Town to be in a perfect location. Other reviewers have stated that it is quite a businesslike hotel - this wasn't a problem for us.

The room was spacious and clean and quite modern, not totally boutique but I guess an Estonian take on a modern boutique hotel. The bathroom was also very modern and clean.

The breakfast was very, very good with very fresh produce which seemed to be prepared on site rather than just warmed up bought in stuff.

The service from the front desk could be improved though. On our first night I telephoned down to have an additional pillow at 10pm. By 10:30pm nothing had arrived so I went down to reception only to find the place deserted (potential security risk?). I went back to the room and waited, and waited and yes you guessed it, waited. At 11pm I gave up and went to bed (on my one pillow) only to be awoken at 11:15pm with my extra pillow. Better late than never I guess...

The hotel's location is also very good for the ferry/boat to Helsinki. If you leave the hotel and cross the road and go straight on and carry on following that road you come to the Linda Line terminal for their speedy catamaran service across the Gulf of Finland.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel, a few tweaks with the service it could be spot on.

P.S. Apologies to the hotel staff for the mess in the bathrom due to food poisoning (see seperate review!)

Room Tip: Ask for an un-overlooked room as some rooms face an apartment block. Ask for a sea view.
1  Thank Drake_Sheldon
Domina_Manager, Revenue Manager at Hestia Hotel Ilmarine, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2011

Dear Drake_Sheldon,

Thank you for your review! I am glad to read you were satisfied with the location and rooms of the hotel and that you enjoyed the breakfast. We have really tried to keep a high standard in cleanliness and the quality of food, and it is really awarding to get positive comments regarding these from our customers. As already mentioned in some earlier replies, we are currently working on training new reception staff, but in this case, I guess the issue was more logistical than service-related. Since there are no room maids or porters on duty that late in the evening, the receptionist carries out all the requests themselves. To get extra pillows, coffee makers, baby cots etc, they'd need to find a suitable quiet moment in reception to get the items from the storage and take the things to rooms. Usually this should not take more than 5 minutes, but if you had to wait longer, I am really sorry for that.

I hope you had a good time in Tallinn and that you will visit us again in the future!

Reviewed 30 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a few days in July. We arrived on Sunday 10th July and had an early flight from the UK. By the time we arrived at the hotel it was 12.15pm and we walked up to reception and there was NO greeting of "hello" or "welcome", just a very rude "you cannot check in until 2pm". The girl on reception was downright rude and unwelcoming and we asked surely one room must be available seen as people will have checked out hours before? She couldn't be bothered to go and check so we asked for the manager to be told there wasn't one in as it was a Sunday. This was very bad service especially seen as we had just come off a long flight. The hotel should be aware that the majority of UK flights arrive in Tallinn before lunchtime and we have never experienced this kind of bad service before anywhere else. Had I not paid upfront, I would have walked out and gone elsewhere. I notice that there are very recent reviews saying the same thing. Why is the issue with the reception staff therefore not being dealt with?

The restaurant food was good and service in there was fine for us. The bathroom was clean although we had BIG stains on the carpet. The room was adequate with free wifi, although they did not provide us with enough toilet paper and we had to ask for it at reception one evening! The walk to the Old Town is 10/15 minutes through cobbled streets, so you will need strong shoes. The restaurants in Tallinn all seemed to be very, very expensive. In Old Town Square expect to pay 12 euros or more for a main course. Compared to neighbouring (and less touristy) Latvia and Lithuania, this is extortionate.

Overall, the stay was ok, but I would not rate it highly due to the bad service from the girl on reception. However, I have to say on check-out there was a trainee girl on reception who was extremely pleasant, a big change to the one who was there when we checked in ! Hotels need to address these issues with staff if they read these reviews because if I had seen the last few stating how rude the reception staff were, I would not have booked this hotel.

1  Thank red_herrings
Domina_Manager, Revenue Manager at Hestia Hotel Ilmarine, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear celtic_girl75,

Thank you! Your feedback on your stay at Domina Inn Ilmarine is highly appreciated! We can see we have room for improvement in the service level based on a couple of recent comments here, and I can assure you we do not take these remarks lightly. We have had much of the front desk staff change in a short period of time, and unfortunately it takes some time to get an excellent team together again. As you mention yourself, some receptionists are still pleasant enough. I sincerely hope and believe that none of our clerks are outright rude, and that the apparent lack of attention or friendliness has just been an unfortunate coincidence, but we will do our best to make sure the impression our front staff leaves on the future customers is a positively memorable one.
I am glad to know you were satisfied with the room and the food. Restaurants in the Town Hall Square are indeed the most expensive ones in Tallinn, but you can find really good value for money just a few steps away from there in Old Town.
I do hope you still enjoyed your time in Tallinn and that you will give it another try in the future!

With best regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2011

This hotel seems to cater to businesses more than tourists. Nor is the front desk staff particularly friendly. I don't need over-the-top service, but there was definitely an aloof air to every front desk employee we encountered.

I emailed ahead of time to ask for the cost of a ticket and directions via public transport and what the cost of a taxi would be from the bus station. I got this email back: "You can either take a taxi, there are taxis standing in the Coach Station or take the tram nr 2 which will take You right next to the hotel. Name of the stop is Põhja pst." There was no mention of how much the bus or taxi would cost and no directions from the bus station. This is just an indication of lack of attention to detail and service at the hotel that we experienced several times.

When we asked the front desk about getting a ferry to Helsinki, they didn't provide any information other than "I don't take the ferry to Helsinki". When asking for a map of the old town (something we had gotten in each of the other five hotels we stayed at during this trip to Europe), they gave us a 20 page brochure that had a very small and not very detailed map in it. The clerk apologized for the small map. I would have expected someone on staff to be knowledgable about touristy things, and if not they should have directed us to the information office in old town, not just said "I don't know". As it was, we figured out there was an information office by ourselves and got a better map and information on the ferry to Helsinki.

The room itself was quite nice and larger than most others we stayed in. There was a loud whirring noise outside of our room, something like a large A/C unit. When I called to ask about the noise, I was told it was the vacuum. No one was vacuuming on our floor and we were on the top floor, when I mentioned this to the clerk and they said it would be cleaning would be over soon and the noise would be gone. He was incorrect. When we arrived back to our room several hours later, the noise was still there and we weren't relocated to another room, the clerk dismissed my concerns about noise.

Breakfast was good (the best scrambled eggs we had on our trip, they were clearly the real thing and not powdered).

The hotel was about a 5-10 minute walk from the entrance to old town. This location suited us perfectly as old town was quite loud at night and I have a feeling our hotel (minus the A/C whirring) was a lot quieter.

None of these reasons should make you not choose this hotel, nothing was extremely wrong. But I would imagine there are better hotels in this price range.

1  Thank dagnyfreckles

Dear dagnyfreckles,

Thank you for your comments! Of course, it is sad to hear your stay was somewhat disappointing, but I am happy to hear you were satisfied with the location and the breakfast. We take the feedback regarding front desk service very seriously, and it seems there is some more work to do. We will definitely take this matter up with all our staff to find ways of improving service standards. Hopefully you enjoyed your trip in general and are planning to visit Tallinn again in the future!

Reviewed 21 July 2011

This is the cheapest weekend break we have had.Two nights B & B was £66 including flights from Edinburgh £120..The hotel rooms are 4 star although breakfast was not to that standard but good for the price..The start of the city walls is 5 minutes walk away and the main square 10 minutes. Spend time in the new town which is much cheaper to eat and drink . There is a Cuban bar (& music ) in the new town which was a great way to spend a Saturday night....Two or three nights are about the right time to spend here.

Room Tip: all rooms are good and suites are available at a small extra cost.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IJDW
Domina_Manager, Revenue Manager at Hestia Hotel Ilmarine, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Dear IJDW,

Thank you very much for your positive comments! We are glad to learn you enjoyed your weekend break in Tallinn and in Domina Inn Ilmarine. We do hope you will stay with us again in the future!

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 20 July 2011

rooms not cleaned (a piece of paper on the floor stayed with me for the whole 3 days and on the chair in the roomthere was a terrible stain).

bathroom not cleaned, the shower gel boats have not been throwed in the 3 days(photo2).

I asked for the sauna, well published in the site, and the young and rude receptionist told me "We haven't in the hotel"

The first evening the restaurant, closing at 22, didn't accept me at 9,30 without any explication ("We are closing")

For the whole 3 days no one of the guys and girls attending at the breakfast thaught to say me "Good Morning" when I said "Good Morning" cominig into the breakfast room

Finally they lost me at the laundry 5 shirts and they didn't look for that before I leave but the same rude guy of the sauna told me "Tomorrow tomorrow..:". Then they emailed me they found them saying "We will send them". Apart that I PAID my stay, I didn't say I WILL PAY, after 11 days they didn't give me back my shirts (150 € global price). Please note that I emailed twice and to the Direction too: not only one reply received.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank GLMTo
Domina_Manager, Revenue Manager at Hestia Hotel Ilmarine, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Dear GLMTo,

Thank you for your thorough feedback on your stay at Domina Inn Ilmarine! It is unfortunate that your experience with us was disappointing, but we can assure you that your comments will help us look at the service we offer and make the necessary improvements to avoid such problems in the future. I hope you have already received my reply to your letter about these issues on Friday.

We have spoken with our staff members, the cleaning department and the restaurant representatives about this case and pointed out the weak spots where we need to improve. However, I wish we had known about the lack of cleanliness during your stay so we could have reacted faster – e.g. the armchair could have been replaced, the room re-cleaned, and extra shower gel brought to you (FYI, as a standard, we do not supply new shower gel before the previous one is used up to save the environment, but we would never refuse it upon request).

It is true that most of our staff is new and young, and there is still a lot to learn, but I am sure the apparent lack of warmth actually means they do not care about our clients. As to the lost laundry, we found out that your bag was accidentally taken by another laundry company to a different laundry house and our staff tried to find it as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, the receptionist that was involved with the case most, got into an accident after promising to sort things out, and the line of information was sadly cut. We sent your laundry to you on Friday on our expense to the address specified in your e-mail. We are sorry for the inconvenience and that you had to wait for your laundry.

We do have a sauna with Jacuzzi in our hotel, but it can hardly be called a proper wellness centre – I guess our people might have misinterpreted your wish and decided to suggested a bigger spa outside the hotel with more services to choose from.

The restaurant checked their records that day and saw they had made transactions also after 9.30 p.m., but they will definitely keep a closer eye on that next time to make sure our clients get service until the official closing time.

Furthermore, it would help to know which manager you sent the e-mails to, since our General Manager never received anything, and it is not our style to leave clients’ complaints unanswered.

Once again our sincere regrets that your stay here did not go as smoothly as expected, but hopefully we will have a chance to make it up to you sometime in the future.