“Easy and good location hotel”
Review of PK Ilmarine Hotel

PK Ilmarine Hotel
Ranked #21 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Sydney
“Easy and good location hotel”
Reviewed 7 February 2008

Good location and pleasant stay at this hotel. I liked the architecture of retaining the previous facade of the building, it gave the hotel some added character. Breakfast was good without being fantastic but certainly nothing to complain about. Service was good and I particular liked the free wireless internet in the lobby and restaurant. All in all a pleasant stay and would recommend to anyone going to Tallinn.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robinto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2008

I stayed at the Domina Ilmarine for 4 nights in January after booking (a very very cheap deal) with Easyjet.

First thing first..... this isn't a four star hotel... whatever you may be told... there is no swimming pool, the jacuzzi and sauna can be used- but at a cost (very cheeky if you ask me) and the beauty salon- I'm not sure if its any more than a room with a sign above the door!!! There was no iron, hairdryer or tea making facilities provided in the room, and the TV was very small with poor reception. However the hotel is very near the old town... its a 10 minute walk into the centre- and I must say that it is an extremely pleasant walk.

Getting on to the meaty stuff... We booked a double room and upon arrival were given keys to a twin room that hadn't even been cleaned since the previous guests had checked out!!! We went back to reception and were immediately given another room without question.

Our room itself was of average size, the bathroom was modern- shower and bath combi... with the standard industrial strength toiletries you get. The bedding was clean WHITE linen ( I have a thing about old flowered hotel bedlinen that hotels seem to love- as you never know what stains are lurking about!) Overall the room was very pleasant and clean, with fitted wardrobes (only 3 hangers), a minibar and the small TV. I didn't use the restaurant so I cannot comment on the food, however I sat in the bar area- which is connected to the restaurant as this is the only place that there is wireless connection (unsecured though so if you are using the internet for anything personal or sensitive please be aware- oh and it shuts by 9pm).

I have given this hotel 3/5 as the ammenties are not what they should be- but he rooms are clean, fair sized and fairly new, the people/staff are friendly/helpful and it is a good location. If you are going for a weekend and are getting a good deal for the room I would reccommend.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank x.sophie.x
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2008

I have just returned from a 5 night stay at this hotel.

We emailed the hotel from the UK prior to leaving asking if it would be possible to have some food in the room on arrival as we would be traveling all day. This was not done, and infact we were told that none of our emails had been received. The night receptionist, Samir, did however say that he could order us a take away pizza. Some 1 hr and 20 mins later 2 0,25ml bottles of coke and 2 thin pizzas with 5 small slices of meat, a little cheese and a scatter of black olives turned up. Samir charged us 450 EEK for this and my partner gave him a 50 EEK tip. It wasnt untill I had told him that he had just paid over £28 he realised that the night receptionist had ripped us off. We did complain to the hotel manager but the answer we got was that perhaps we had made a mistake and did not understand the currency (I have travelled to Tallinn before and my girlfriend is a casino manager and changes foreign currency daily as part of her job). So if you are staying here and the night receptionist offers to order you a take away pizza, check the prices on the menu card they have behind reception or just dont have a pizza!!.

We had paid extra with Expedia for a superior room. The room had a kitchenette area which was no use at all. We stayed for 5 night and were provided with nothing for the kitchen so we could not use it.
When I called reception and asked if I could have use of an iron I was informed that they did not have one (I had to go into town and buy one myself).
Also the beauty salon was just an empty room for our stay. There was supposed to be an italian resturant but during our stay this was closed. The main resturant and bar were open but only until 9pm, so if you wanted food or drink after this you had to go into town.
There was also a sauna and jacuzzi in the hotel but its only when we asked about them that we were told that there was an extra charge for this.

However the breakfast had a good choice, mainly cold items and the 2 nights that we ate in the resturant the food was a good quality and the resturant staff were very friendly and helpfull.

This is supposed to be a 4* hotel but quite frankly I have stayed in better places

• Liked — within easy walking distance of town
  • Disliked — very little amenities for a 4* hotel
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dycebabe
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 January 2008

The Domina Ilmarine provided us with everything we needed during our brief 2 night stay in Tallinn. We booked using Expedia and the room was only £56 per night including breakfast which we thought was very reasonable. I challenge you to find a city in the UK that will charge that.

Upon arrival we were dealt with efficiently by reception staff. It was mid morning so we didn't expect our room to be ready but it was which was great. If you face reception head on there are rooms to the left and right. We headed left through a corridor and into a large atrium which was ligth and airy with rooms running down both sides. In the middle was some communal seating and a bar that was closed throughout our stay. I assume they open it if they have a function in the atrium.

The room was on two floors which must be the case for all the rooms in the atrium. We had a key to the room and all of the people in our party who had an actual key were in split level rooms. People who had a swipe card had the normal hotel room. Those rooms were to the right of reception. Basically bathroom and small living area with a functional sofa and round table were downstairs and bedroom was upstairs.

There were no tea and coffee facilities which was probably my only gripe. Minibar was fully stocked - usual mini bar prices and there was 1.5l bottle of Evian for 60EEK - pricey! There was kitchenette so would have been nice to be able to boil water. Maybe they didn't give us equipment to or tea and coffee as we were only there for 2 nights.

Bathroom had a large shower, fully tiled, some toiletries. Water pressure was ok. Towels rubbed bits of fluff onto the skin but that probably means they're new and I'd rather have new ones than really ancient , work out ones.

Upstairs was a wardrobe wth full length mirror inside and the bed which was actually 2 beds pushed together and two separate duvets. I have come across the two bed situation often in Europe - less common is the individual duvets. The beds were very comfortable.

Laminate flooring, lots of light, a little Ikea in style but all perfectly functional. It was clean and practical. Not luxurious but adequate for our brief stay. Someone in our group forgot a toothbrush and reception gave him one for free. A lot of places charge nowadays.

The single level rooms were as functional. I don't think that the split level rooms were more luxurious - just had more living space. The bathrooms in the single level rooms were actually slightly bigger so in my opinion no real difference.

Service was always efficient - perhaps not particularly personal or overtly friendly but the job always got done. Breakfast choice was good given that it was included in the price. Usual continental fayre and also eggs, sausages and some cold meat. Very good coffee.

Tallinn is a nice place to walk around and stop for lots of coffee breaks. Highlight for me is the Cafe Chocolaterié, in a little courtyard near St Catherine's Passage. The city walls have turrets similar to those from a fairy castle. The town square is lit up at Christmas and there are stalls selling mulled wine and snacks. We ate at Peppersack and Olde Hanse. Peppersack was good but Olde Hanse offered more choice and better service.

• Liked — Practical and good value
  • Disliked — No tea and coffee in the room
  • Stayed December 2007
2 Thank Fondofgoodtravel
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 28 December 2007

We (4 young ladies age 23 - 26) decided to spend a short weekend in Tallinn as this is a lovely city, perfect place to catch a bit of Christmas feeling (which is not easy to catch in Riga during the past few years) and only a 4 hour drive from Riga. We were booked into Domina Inn Ilmarine Hotel by our Estonian colleague. We walked from the Central Bus Station (CBS), it took us about 20 - 30 minutes. It`s possible also to take tram nr2, there`s a stop near the CBS and one close to the Hotel - convenient if one does not like to walk / is carrying heavy bags / is short on time.
Hotel is located on the other side of the Old Town (10 - 15 min. walk from the city center), one of the entrances in the Old Town is just opposite the street.
About the hotel - I did like the building`s exterior and interior of the lobby a lot, nice colors, nice furniture; check-in was quick. Unfortunately the apartment was not yet ready, but the gentleman at the check-in did not tell us that and gave us the key, so when we entered the room we found out that cleanliness of the bathroom was not the best, there were not enough towels (we were 4, but there were only 2), very limited, even poor selection of toiletries, phone was out of order. But it was fixed until we returned to the hotel later after a walk and lunch in the city.
I must mention that beds were comfy and the room itself is not bad at all - large windows, enough place for four persons and the luggage. There is a small kitchenette on the first floor of the room; if you are staying at least two nights, there will be dishes provided in the room, but you can request them even if you are only for one nights stay.
Breakfast - I can not comment on that as I had only a yoghurt and a cup of tea.

Do not hesitate to come to Domina Inn Ilmarine Hotel - it`s quite nice, just has to work on small details which sometimes means a lot to all of us.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2007

The Domina Inn Ilmarine is just outside of the walls of the Old town of Tallinn. Domina City, the second one from the same company is right in teh Centre, just that you don't get confused and there re 2 of them in Tallinn, same company, same quality. Pretty good.

I arrived at the Ilmarine at 1.30am after plane delays etc. and was welcomed by the reception of the hotel. No problem, they kept my room, the guy was very pleasant and multilingual (we actually spoke French!, rare fate in the Baltics).

Very nice hotel a short walk from the old town, in a former manufacture turned into hotel. very nice looking.

Got to my room, pristine looking place, looks newly renovated, very good standard bedroom, bathroom. I am some trouble fiddling with the heating / air con thingy but anyway room was at a good temperature.

Wireless internet did not seem to work in the bedroom(in estonia it is strange) but was working in the hotel lobby and their cable in the wall connection in the room was fast, efficient and free. So no complaint. They eevn had cables to lend to their guests. Pretty good.

Breakfast was OK but again they could have put some more fresh products (juice, fruit, meat and cheese). They had plenty and it was OK but it felt a bit industrial.

The staff members were great. I even left my suitcase for a day with no problem, their luggage room can accommodate safely plenty of bags.

• Liked — the look of the hotel
  • Disliked — The path leading to the hotel was more car than pedestrian friendly but OK
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Tsaraiva
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2007

This hotel is in a great location, just outside the walls of the Old Town and not far from the harbour. It is roughly a 5-10min walk to the centre of the Old Town.

The rooms are tasefully decorated and comfortable. They definately have more af a premium feel than some other hotels I have stayed at in a similar price range. I agree with a previous reviewer that the only disappointing thing is that the towels in the bathroom aren't very fluffy - but that's the only thing I can complain about, so hardly a big deal!

Check-in was speedy and efficient, and all the front desk staff that we spoke to were friendly and helpful. There's free internet access in the lobby, and although there is only one computer, it was never busy and was very helpful when looking up addresses of bars etc. in the town.

I had read a guidebook review of the hotel which said that all of the rooms were duplexes with kitchenettes, however, our rooms were just regular hotel rooms, no kitchen or separate bedroom, so don't be mislead if you read that anywhere. I certainly don't think the hotel website makes this assertion.

I think this hotel is very good value for money and I would definately recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends