“A Very Pleasant Surprise”

Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #14 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed 26 September 2007

Having read as many reviews of the hotel as I could find, prior to booking, I was confident that I had made the right choice on the basis of best value in the best location and was pleased to prove myself right! I'd been a bit concerned about the Mihkli being on a main road and couldn't quite envisage getting into the Old Town but it's very simple: turn right out the hotel, cross three roads and walk up a hill - et voila! The hotel was clean, efficient and offers customer service more suited to a four star. The rooms (a Zen room and Zen suite) were, again, very four star-like with robes, slippers, mini bar, TV, free Internet (with screen) and fantastically big whirlpool baths! The Internet proved a Godsend as I was able to check out the weather and where to go each day. The breakfast menu has something for everyone (yoghurt, fruit, sausage, bacon, various egg dishes, toast, cereal) and the restaurant (La Boheme) provides interesting dishes at a good price. The hotel kindly arranged a meet and greet service from the airport and my only word of advice would be to make sure you request the return journey when you book the pick-up as the price increases if you don't do this. On saying that, 185 EEK sounds like a lot of money but it's under a tenner. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would like to thank the staff of the Mihkli for their hospitality and professionalism.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank Tingalay

Reviewed 2 September 2007

Having seen some reviews for this hotel we crossed our fingers when booking and thankfully we made the right choice. To be fair we were definitely on a budget and as such money informed our choice. I went with my partner and we stayed for 5 nights.

The hotel was covered in scaffolding when we arrived but we didn't allow this to put us off as the inside was perfectly neat and clean. We arrived very late due to a delayed flight but this wasn't a problem and the staff were very friendly and helpful despite having pretty poor English - though to be honest, when I travel abroad I'm more embarrassed at not communicating in the native language to bother about the English fluency of the hotel staff.

The room was a decent size and exactly what we were after - clean and slightly clinical, no hygiene problems with the bathroom and neutral decor. Free internet access was a big plus for us. Breakfast was pretty average - not full english but plenty of toast, coffee, juice and also hot and cold options available from the self-service buffet. Also limited coffee/tea making facilities in the rooms with lovely glass mugs.

The only downside to the room was not having a hairdryer - having become so used to this in hotels I didn't bring one and when I asked at reception it would appear that everyone else had found themselves in the same predicament and there were none available. This was the only complaint we had in our stay.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others, I thought it was fantastic value for money, very clean and a good distance from all the sights.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hanchwinz
Reviewed 27 June 2007

Great hotel, nice staff very helpful, room was very spacious, one thing although we had a room on the 5th floor tif we opened the window the traffic was very noisy. I would recomend it to anyone for a short stay

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kft
Reviewed 26 June 2007

This hotel is situated a very easy 10-15minute walk from the Old Town and main attractions. It has recently been renovated and as such is a modern and welcoming hotel. The reception area is very pleasant and the public areas all no smoking. The reception staff were pleasant enough and certainly had our rooms ready for allocating on our arrival. The whole process was very quick and hassle free.
The hotel rooms we stayed in we're clearly newly decorated and as such were comfortable, modern and clean. They did as stated come with free internet access.
The Bar and Restaurant were also very well done and the staff friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was included in the price and again gave excellent value for money.
My stay at this hotel was with a group of friends on a stag weekend and as such was far better than we'd anticpated (don't worry if you read this we were the only such group there!!)
I enjoyed my stay in this hotel and as such I would return to the Mihkli for a more relaxing visit to Tallinn.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank jcmsf
Reviewed 12 June 2007

As others have said, I also was concerned when I first saw the scaffolding and sheeting all across the front of this good sized hotel. But once inside I was pleasantly surprised at the spacious well appointed lobby. Front desk staff spoke English, and while they may not have been especially warm and welcoming, check in was fast and efficient. That's really all I need!

My room faced the street and was clean with simple appointments. It felt very Scandinavian. The bathroom was a nice size with a roomy shower. And I loved the in-room computer with free internet access, especially after being quoted as much as $20US per hour in Russia!

The weather had been warm and I unsuccessfully tried to set the thermostat for air-conditioning, but nothing happened. I saw that I could open the big picture window, but was concerned about welcoming in mosquitos like those that had zeroed in on us in St. Petersburg. I contacted the desk and was told that no, the airconditioning was not operational, but not to worry, there should be no mosquitos this time of year (first of June). Thankfully the person was correct. There was some traffic noise with the windows open, but not enough to seriously disturb my sleep. There was an electric pot to heat water, with instant coffee and a selection of nice teas.One of our group was given one of the Zen rooms, and she was very pleased.

There was an extensive list of spa services, including a chocolate massage! Unfortunately our time was short so I didn't have time to schedule any of the services, or use any of the free facilities.

The hotel is a comfortable 15 minute walk to old town and you pass the small park where the statue was removed in April that caused the demonstrations. There were several restaurants within a couple block radius of the hotel, plus the hotel restaurant.

I found Tallinn to be a charming, friendly city, and was sorry that we had only planned to be there two evenings and one full day. For a relatively small country they have accomplished so much since declaring their independence in the early 1990's.

Oh, and don't forget to try some Vana Tallinn after dinner! I'm so glad I brought a bottle home with me. It's sort of like Drambuie, but much less expensive.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank OnTheGoEugene
Reviewed 1 June 2007

First impressions don't last. The hotel was completely covered in scaffolding and white sheets when we arrived so to us, it didn't even look like a hotel.

The foyer was nice and modern with new furnishings. It was 2am we were exhausted and were greated by a front desk person who could hardly speak a word of English. After a 20min process which should've only taken 5mins we finally got our room and were given twin beds - not a double, like our hotel voucher had said. We asked for another room, but we got a shrug and were told they were full. He promised he would let the staff no the next day and fix the problem. Not the case - when we asked the lady on front desk if we could swap rooms, she raised her arms and said 'No, there is no more rooms, we can't help you - you will have to stay in a twin.' This was frustrating and even though we showed them the voucher of what had been booked, they were making out it was our fault. We asked three times if they could at least join the two singles together - eventually she went and had a ten minute consultation in the office to then emerge to tell us that housekeeping would do it for both rooms and they would be ready in an hour. When we eventually were told they were ready - one room had been done and the other was still a twin - and suddenly our room keys mysteriously stopped working!! Unimpressed we stated our dissatisfaction again, and the beds were merged and keys fixed.

The next day after returning from a busy day out, our friends returned to their room which had not been serviced at all.

As a hotel, the rooms were clean and tastefully decorated, the location was OK - about 15mins walk from the Old Town and the breakfast was great. However, the customer service was dreadful and left a lot to be desired and I hope for their sake they invest in some staff training - even to tell them to smile might be a start!!!

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank TheRundle
uniquetallinn, Member of the Board at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2007

Many thanks for your review and i am very sorry you experienced this. Regarding the sheeting, we are renovating the facade, it is the last process of a full renovation, the sheets come down on the 10th June. However i am sorry about the way you were handled and the standard of the night receptionists English, this will not happen again for guests checking in so late. I do not understand what happened re the beds, we have beds which can be joined together to make a double and this is a standard process we do every day so i am rather bewildered re this point. Re the room servicing problem, Please can you let me know when you returned to the room to find it still had not been serviced -paul@uniquestay.com. I also would like to find out some more details from you, and find a way of resolving this. I feel this issue has been the creation of one of our new receptionists and it has filtered down to incorrect information being given to housekeeping. Please as a message to all forum users reading this, please always ask to sepak to the General Manager if you have any problems, it is the easiest way of getting problems sorted out and an opportunity for the hotel to compensate.
regards
Paul

Reviewed 18 May 2007

I stayed here with my boyfriend in April for 2 nights. We arrived at 6am and our room was not ready so we had to upgrade in order to get a room at 6am. Fair enough. The room was a so-called deluxe room but I would not have liked to see their basic rooms if this was the deluxe standard!

Their was no connection on the wall to hold the shower head so you had to hold it in one hand while you showered. The blinds on the windows were almost sheer so they did not block out the early morning light which ensured we were wide awake, whether we wanted to be or not!

The staff were most unfriendly and cold and not at all welcoming. We requested an iron which they went away to find and we had to haul the ironing board and iron up the lift ourselves. We politely rang reception and asked for someone to come and fix the air con in the bedroom but when they culdn't understand us they just hung up the phone! I couldn't believe it! It was deplorable!

I can only assume that the people who have written good reviews here, have not travelled much or experienced hotels much. This was one of the worst I ever stayed in, athough it was clean and the bed, bedlinen and pillows were oh so comfy! It is highly over rated as a hotel but for something VERY basic but clean, it's OK. Only just ok. They did however, provide free internet access in our room and this was probably their only saving grace. A cold faceless, charmless hotel experience. Never again!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
uniquetallinn, Member of the Board at Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2007

Dear Sharon , thanks for your review. Re the early check in, it would have been wise to request an early check in, in advance, as check in in most intl hotels is earliest 12pm.
The room you eventually stayed in was a ZEN room, and i will post pictures of the room you stayed in so other reviewers can see the standard. Actually you are the first guest who has had a bad comment about them , all others have been excellent, but i suppose any room after a long flight with arrival at 6 am would be subject to a harsh review, escpecially if the booked room was not ready for use immediately.
All of the Zen rooms have a jacuzzi bath , which has indeed a hand shower built in, if you had requested a stand up shower , of course we have these available, also in the Zen rooms.
Re the staff issues , i take this sort of comment very seriously and please email me the name of the person concerned as this is not accepted behaviour in our hotel. Thanks for letting me know about the brightness in the room in the morning, i have now ordered black out curtains. Also thanks for the positive comments re the computers, cleanliness and beds and duvets. Did you get a chance to use the free gym or sauna facilities?
I am nor sure what you mean by suggesting the other reviewers had no experience in staying in hotels, rather bold of you to suggest this ! what i would like to say is we are a three star hotel and never pretend to be anything else, i think our reviewers take this into consideration and the approx 40-50 pounds a night uncluding full breakfast and tax they have paid and make sensible critique.
They always seem to think we have over delivered.
my email paul@uniquestay.com